Advice pls: Tesco spilled milk

Options
Hi everyone,

My wife went to Tesco today and when she'd unloaded all the bags to the kitchen from the car noticed a trail of milk from the kitchen to the front door!
Needless to say the car boot was full as well :-(

There was actually no foil cap on the milk bottle under the lid but after phoning Tesco's to complain they don't want to know. Surely they should pay for carpet cleaning/car valeting?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Do not speak- unless it improves on silence.

Comments

• jake_bullet_2
    Options
    Not all milk bottles have foil, some have a tamper ring, before you proceed it might be worth checking which this should have had..
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Like Jake said, check instore what those milks have normally.

I would have made sure the milk bottle was upright in the first place. I would also just remove the boot carpet give the boot a wipe where necesary and wash the carpet with hot soapy water and hang to dry, time taken 20 mins. All I think you should be asking for is a new bottle of milk because it wasn't sealed properly which means you can't be sure if it is fresh.
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to me once at Safeways.
    I wrote and complained ,but got nowhere.
    They said if I provided them with the proof of how much it cost to clean up , they would reimburse me.
    That's silly,because it was the time,inconvenience and lingering smell that was the problem,not the 50p worth of cleaning materials!Who keeps their receipts for things like that!
    Really annoying!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why do you think this is Tescos fault? Surely to goodness you check that the top is tight on everything that could spill before you put it in your trolley? Any milk I buy is only protected by a plastic clip that breaks when you open the top ... and I always check that it is in place. Come on, this is not tescos fault ... your wife did not check the top was tight, your wife did not set it upright in her car and ensured it could not topple ... stop trying to find someone else to blame ... it is just one of those trivial little things sent to try our patience.

Count yourself lucky that it was not a bottle of bleach.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • fairenoughclough
    Options
    No use crying over it, but seriously you need to make sure you get all the milk out of the boot and especially the boot carpet.

Absolutely soak the carpet with any old bubble bath/shower gel/liquid soap you may have and then give it and the inside of your boot a really good blast with a pressure washer.

If you don't get it all out now, you'll find it behaves like a ripe french cheese, smelling stronger each day.
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Ivan.

Why is it Tescos fault?

If something leaks out in the boot of my car I dont blame the shop I bought it from, I just accept it because
    a) it is the way I packed it
    or
    b) i never noticed there was something up at the checkout
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    defo agree with cleaning it very well. I spilled milk about 5 years ago in the boot of my car and after a few days it smelt like i had a dead body in there!!!!

Noone would get in the car cos it absolutely stunk!!! Had to throw away the boot carpet and use an offcut of old carpet in the end.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    and the inside of your boot a really good blast with a pressure washer.
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

A pressure washer inside the car! You're taking things a bit far here (and likely to do a lot of damage). Just wipe it up using a sponge and hot soapy water.

pressure was the removed boot carpet is a good idea though - easier - once you have taken the washer out and plugged it in etc
  • alecpr
    alecpr Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like Davet and I are the only ones who believe Tesco do have a responsibility to provide goods in the condition they were originally intended to be in. If Tesco bought a hundred crates of milk and the seals were broken, would Tesco turn round laugh and say, oh just one of those things, I don't think so. They would expect that the milk and its container is in a condition in which it can be transfered to their stores.

When you buy the milk, you are also buying the carton and both need to be of merchantable quality, the carton was broken (in my opinion the carton should be in a fit state to transfer the milk, just as Tesco would expect when they buy from their suppliers), hence not fit for sale. If you bought a DVD where the case was cracked and the splinters from that case caused damage to the DVD, would you laugh and say of well not the stores fault, I should have checked, no you would return said item.

I don't think asking Tesco to pay the full ammount for the damages is unreasonable and I beleive there is a case to be made for this.

From my own moral point of view though, I would be willing to accept that some responsibility lies with the purchaser to check the carton and would accept a 50/50 split on costs as a fair compromise, but as I have said in a previous thread I would start with my strongest position and negotiate down from there.
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco will pay for the valet of your boot. The Duty Manager in the store has the authority within Tesco insurance policy to make you an offer for any small claim you may make up to a value of £250. Of course you should'nt try for anything you think your notr entitled to or they may make you escalate the matter to HO. If your reasonable they will help you.
    It pays to challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport