PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help with cooking a goose please!

My friend is giving me a goose tomorrow! :j It's a wild one that's been hanging for about a week now. I'll need to pluck it but I have no iinspriartion as to what to cook with it. :confused:

I've had goose in the past and have simply poured boiling water over it, let it dry, !!!!!! the skin a bit and then just roasted in a very hot oven.

I'd like to try something fairly simple and a bit different; any ideas please?

I'm also looking forward to some pheasant and grouse soon too, so any ideas for those would be good too. Thanks!
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....

Comments

• kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Noozan,

I found this on Google, looks promising.

http://www.roastgoose.com/goose_recipes.htm

Good luck,
    Al.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • xueta
    xueta Posts: 480 Forumite
    Noozan wrote:
    My friend is giving me a goose tomorrow! :j It's a wild one...

If it's wild, then it may be quite tough and not roast well. :o
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    xueta wrote:
    If it's wild, then it may be quite tough and not roast well. :o

I did wonder that but thought it might be more flavoursome if it's wild? Anyway, it's free so no great loss if I end up having to dig a lasgane out of the freezer or something, lol.

Thanks Kiwichick, there's some interesting ideas on that site. Going to have a browse through them properly now.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • I remember reading a relatively simple Nigella recipe that involved stuffing a goose with mashed potato but for the life of me can't find it. Maybe worth looking up?
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • For anyone else looking for a goose for Christmas Lidl have them in stock at the moment - 4kgs. frozen £12.99. (I can't take credit for this info - see Shop Don't Drop post by Researcher).
    Also re recipes a post on the same thread by TheFirs gives a good web site for lots of recipes - Thehuntingsociety.org.

Apologies for not being able to put links in!

Happyroly
  • Wild - According to hugh fernly wittingstool (spelly) this is best. I watched an episode of A view from river cottage recently and he made a 10bird roast turkey!

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • Noozan
    First Post
    Well, I have just taken delivery of a huge goose and a brace of pheasants so I'm going to be busy plucking tomorrow!
  • As for cooking the goose, I think it would be helpful to know what type it is. Can you identify it? There's a guide to identifying wildfowl & game here.

Different birds can require completely different cooking methods e.g. Canada Goose needs to be braised for hours ... like, erm .... 8 :eek:

As for the pheasant - have they been hung? I would generally hang mine for at least a week - more in my case as I prefer them to be "gamey".
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Noozan
    First Post
    As for cooking the goose, I think it would be helpful to know what type it is. Can you identify it? There's a guide to identifying wildfowl & game here.

Different birds can require completely different cooking methods e.g. Canada Goose needs to be braised for hours ... like, erm .... 8 :eek:

As for the pheasant - have they been hung? I would generally hang mine for at least a week - more in my case as I prefer them to be "gamey".

Eek, I hope it's not a Canada goose then....hang on, I'll have a look at that website...

The goose has been hung for 8 days and the phesants have been hanging for 5. They're out in the front porch at the moment as it's the coolest place I could find in the house.
  • Noozan
    First Post
    I've had a look at some images and I'm sure it's a greylag goose. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure