Stop Junk Mail Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bert&ernie wrote: »
    They still aren't telling you. The link I posted above doesn't state that the opt-out is time limited.

I get a lot of hand delivered junk so I wouldn't necessarily have noticed that the postman had started delivering unaddressed mail again. I usually have to pick the addressed mail out of a pile of junk and flyers on the doormat.

I only picked up on this because i was at home today when the postman came and he delivered only unaddressed items.

but when you contact them for an opt out form
    Dear Householder
    Royal Mail Door to Door

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail about the ‘opting out’ of Door to Door deliveries. We are happy to stop deliveries of unaddressed items to your address, but before doing so we need to make you fully aware of the implications of opting out, and to get your written authorisation to stop deliveries of these items.

The main areas for you to consider are:

• The opt out service only relates to unaddressed mail delivered by us.
    Royal Mail is still legally obliged to deliver all addressed mail, which includes mail that is addressed “To the Occupier” (or with any other generic recipient information), as well as mail that is personally addressed to you by name.

• It is not possible for Royal Mail to separate material you don’t want from material that you do want, such as advertising offers or leaflets from Central and Local Government and other public bodies. Opting out from Royal Mail Door to Door stops all unaddressed items from being delivered by us (although in exceptional circumstances Government may request that we make an exception to this opt out). Election material is not delivered by the Door to Door service and is therefore not affected by this opt out.

• Opting out means no one at the address will receive unaddressed mail items - is this acceptable to everyone living at the property?

• Please be aware that Royal Mail only delivers about 25% of the total volume of unaddressed mail items in the United Kingdom. The opt out will not cover any other distributors, who will continue to deliver unaddressed mail items. Opting out of Royal Mail Door to Door deliveries will not necessarily reduce by a significant amount of the number of items that you will receive, as there are other carriers in the market place.

If you would like to opt-out from deliveries from other unaddressed mail distributors, who are member of the Direct Marketing Association, you may wish to register with the Your Choice Preference Scheme run by the Direct Marketing Association. The contacts details are:

Your Choice Preference Scheme
    Direct Marketing Association (UK) Ltd
    DMA House
    70, Margaret Street,
    London W1W 8SS
    Telephone: 020 7291 3300
    Fax: 020 7323 4165
    Email: yourchoice@dma.org.uk

If you would like to stop any other unwanted communications please visit https://www.mydm.co.uk, which provides details on all other preference services, or call the Mailing Preference Service on 0845 703 4599

If you still wish to opt out of receiving Door to Door mail items, please complete the attached form and return it to the address given on the form and we will process your request. Every effort will be made to prevent the delivery of Door to Door mail items by Royal Mail. Exceptionally, if relief staff are used, an occasional delivery may occur. Please be advised that it may take up to 6 weeks for your request to be implemented, and that your opt out will last for a period of 2 years. If you wish to resume deliveries of Door to Door to your address during this period please contact us.

(See attached file: Opt Out Application.pdf)

Please note that your address will be opted out of receiving Door to Door items for a period of two years. At the end of the period you will need to confirm that you are still resident at the address and wish to continue opting out of Door to Door deliveries.

Yours sincerely

Opt Out Team
    Royal Mail Door to Door

This is an automated response - If your enquiry is regarding an existing opt out, please contact us on 01865 796988, or an alternative email address to use is door_to_door_ops_admin@royalmail.com.

Royal Mail Group Limited registered in England and Wales registered number
    4138203 registered office 3rd Floor, 100 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0HQ
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    This is true, but.... Somebody like myself who has applied a few years ago would not know that they needed to reapply. Perhaps it would have been an idea to make everybody aware of this or, at least those of us who had previously expressed an interest in this scheme. After all, we did expect to apply once and that's it, done with.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    The point is that Royal Mail don't want to draw anyones attention to this scheme. They make a lot of money delivering this junk and I can fully understand why they wouldn't want to to anything that might encourage people opting-out.

I dont really see why the opt out expires. Occupancy could change, but why not have a system where RM periodically solicits an opt-in from addresses that have previously opted out? They could at least notify those who have opted out that it is about to expire and offer them the option to renew their opt-out.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • bert&ernie
    Options
    Also, I love the way the call it an "Opt Out Application". Its not a request. They aren't considering whether or not to do me a favor. Its a bloody instruction! </rant>
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • custardy
    Options
    kevanf1 wrote: »
    This is true, but.... Somebody like myself who has applied a few years ago would not know that they needed to reapply. Perhaps it would have been an idea to make everybody aware of this or, at least those of us who had previously expressed an interest in this scheme. After all, we did expect to apply once and that's it, done with.

because they are a business.they need to generate revenue. it costs you £0 and makes RM money. having to fill in a form and send it to a freepost address every 2 years is a massive and arduous task i know,but its what you must do
    The point is that Royal Mail don't want to draw anyones attention to this scheme. They make a lot of money delivering this junk and I can fully understand why they wouldn't want to to anything that might encourage people opting-out.

I dont really see why the opt out expires. Occupancy could change, but why not have a system where RM periodically solicits an opt-in from addresses that have previously opted out? They could at least notify those who have opted out that it is about to expire and offer them the option to renew their opt-out.

because RM deliver t addresses. if you dont live there then they want the address live again so they want to be able to sell that as another potential customer to advertisers.wake up people,times change
    as the post offices continue to shut and the RM service is shredded,embrace the changes.
  • bert&ernie
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    because they are a business.they need to generate revenue. it costs you £0 and makes RM money. having to fill in a form and send it to a freepost address every 2 years is a massive and arduous task i know,but its what you must do

because RM deliver t addresses. if you dont live there then they want the address live again so they want to be able to sell that as another potential customer to advertisers.wake up people,times change
    as the post offices continue to shut and the RM service is shredded,embrace the changes.

Nobody ever asked me if I wanted my address to be sold "as another potential customer to advertisers". I made it explicitly clear that I did not want this.

It may not be an arduous task to remind Royal Mail every two years that i haven't changed my mind or moved, but I don't see why I should have to. If they want to sell my address, then why shouldn't they have to ask for my permission?
  • custardy
    Options
    Nobody ever asked me if I wanted my address to be sold "as another potential customer to advertisers". I made it explicitly clear that I did not want this.

It may not be an arduous task to remind Royal Mail every two years that i haven't changed my mind or moved, but I don't see why I should have to. If they want to sell my address, then why shouldn't they have to ask for my permission?

you are welcome to seal up your letterbox.
    then you can collect your mail from the depot.
    I love how people get on their high horses about permission.
    you either give RM permission to deliver to your property or you dont.
    what will you do if/when there are multiple mail deliveries from multiple companies
    your address is out there. its part of the PAF system
    ask your permission.get a grip of yourself and fill in the form. some folks have way too little to worry about in their lives
  • kevanf1
    Options
    some folks have way too little to worry about in their lives

I have to admit that the most annoying thing I get through our letterbox is other people's post!!! The record so far is a letter that has been put back through our letterbox 4 times! The first time it was put through I wrote on it that it was a misdirected letter and that it was only about 7 miles away from its true destination. The next day it came back through our letterbox. This time I wrote it out in very big letters. It still kept coming back until I managed to catch the postie and hand it back into her hands. I pointed out that the address was not even our village and my misdirection notice on it. "ooh, I didn't see that" she said. WHAT???? The words could not have been bigger or bolder where I had written that this letter was incorrectly delivered.

Sadly I am now hearing of more and more of this going on up and down our village.

Now, while I am thinking about it. We don't want unaddressed mail but we do want our properly addressed stuff delivered to us. But no, we don't get that sometimes. A number of times we have had cards pushed through the letterbox telling us to collect a parcel from the sorting office. Yet the postie has not rung the doorbell or knocked on the door to tell us they have a parcel for us. I have actually witnessed this happen when they push normal post through the door but walk off with a parcel; not a large one either! Why? They end up having to cart it back to the sorting office. Again, this is not just us it has happened to.

What is going on?
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • custardy
    Options
    kevanf1 wrote: »
    blah blah blah .

What is going on?

well let me ask you a question(since you decided to change the subject)
    when the RM staff were on strike and saying the service would suffer etc
    were you interested or just accepted what the papers aid about those lazy money grabbing posties?
  • kevanf1
    Options
    well let me ask you a question(since you decided to change the subject)

For which I apologise. I should have made it clearer that I was going off on a tangent.
    when the RM staff were on strike and saying the service would suffer etc
    were you interested or just accepted what the papers aid about those lazy money grabbing posties?

Actually I never listen to the rubbish that the papers would 'want' me to believe. I think my qualifications as an ex union shop steward ought to tell you why.

As for lazy, money grabbing posties? Shame on you for propogating that rubbish. I have not once said anything like it. All I have said is fact that happens in my village. Now, I will also state that I have posties who are friends and some who are actually family and they agree that there is a rotten element within our postal service. I would be the first to agree that this can happen in any job, I know, I've had to defend lazy so and so's in the past while gritting my teeth. That sort of person does no good for any job or service as you will well know.

What I said was I was sick of rubbish mail being put through my letterbox and tired of misdeirected post. I added that it was not just me but many others on our village have this happening at this time. This is fact and not blanket castigation of postal workers countrywide!

Please don't put words into my mouth. Or try twisting what I have said. I understand you may well feel aggrieved with the way this thread has gone with your being an admitted ex-postie. By alienating everybody who has a valid complaint you do your cherished 'still working posties' no favours. I for one am actually on the side of postal workers, they are not the ones who decide who gets rubbish mail as I know that is dealt with higher up by somebody who 'may' once have known what it was like to trudge thorugh the snow and ice to deliver our post; but likely doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure