Letter Of Complaint to PC World

Hi

I have recently had trouble with pc world so I have written a letter to them complaining.

I was just thought I would post it here first and see what everyone thought of the letter.

Any improvements on it would be most welcome

Dear Sirs,
I am writing this letter of complaint as I totally dissatisfied with the service I have received from your company PC World.
The problem started on Friday the 12th September when the laptop I had purchased from your company only 6 months earlier would not start.
I thought this was due to a hard drive failure so I took it back to the store where it was purchased from.
One of your staff in the Tech Guys department confirmed it was the hard drive and he said he would run a program on the laptop to try and repair it. He assured me he would ring me later that day and let me know how he had got on.
I did not receive a phone call that day, so I went to the store on the Saturday to find out what was happening.
The tech guy informed me there was nothing he could do, but he would back up my data (at a cost of £29.99p) and I would have to run the system restore disc and format the hard drive.
He said he would do it that day and ring me when it was done. Again I did not receive a phone call and had to go to the store again on the Sunday.
This time the original tech guy was not in store. So I spoke to another member of staff who told me he couldn’t back it up because there was too much data to burn to DVD’s, he advised me I would have to purchase a external hard drive to back it up. So I purchased a hard drive from your store at a cost of £59.99p. I was then told it would take about two hours and he would call me when it was done. Yet again after three and half hours no one had called, so again I had to travel to your store to find out what was going on. When I got there it still hadn’t been done and was told to come back at 4.15pm just before the store shut. This time when I returned it was completed.
So I returned home with my laptop and my external hard drive with the data I had asked for backed up.
Then I run the system restore on the laptop and reformatted the hard drive.
Then I plugged in the external hard drive to transfer my data over, and a lot of what I asked for hadn’t been backed up.
So after all the running around and promised calls your tech guys have managed to still lose my data.
As if that wasn’t bad enough I phoned you customer services on Monday 15th September to complain about what had happened and was told I would get a call back to sort out what had happened, yet again I received no phone call. So I phoned again on the Tuesday and was promised a refund but they would have to call me back. Yet again I did not receive this call.
Now I am writing to you to get my money I paid out back. As the service I had received has been appalling.
I expect to receive a cheque for £29.99p for the Data backup service and £59.99p for the hard drive I purchased that I didn’t need In the end.
I look forward to hearing from you and to a resolution of this problem. I will wait for 21 days before seeking help from Trading Standards, Please contact me at the above address or by phone numbers.

Thanks
Chris

Replies

• I have had major problems with a laptop purchase from PC World. I had the Trading Standards involved and done a lot of running round and wrote lots of letters and eventually got a without prejudice settlement for the price of the laptop.

What amazes me my pc ive had now for 5 years from PCW and can say when I have had a problem they have been very helpful.
  • DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your letter- I've heard stories from numerous people with nightmare complaints like yours...
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Hi Chris

Made a few changes for you, hope this helps -

Dear Sirs

I would like to complain about the unsatisfactory service I have experienced at a branch of PC World recently.

I purchased a laptop from PC World six months ago. Unfortunately on the 12th September the laptop failed to start. Assuming it was due to a failure of the hard drive, I returned it to the store.

One of the staff in the ‘Tech Guys’ department confirmed it was the hard drive at fault and he said he would run a program on the laptop to try and repair it. He assured me he would ring me later that day and let me the outcome.
    I did not receive a phone call that day, so I went to the store on the Saturday to find out what was happening.
    The employee informed me there was nothing he could do, but he would back up my data (at a cost of £29.99) and I would have to run the system restore disc and format the hard drive.
    He said he would do it that day and ring me when finished. Again, I did not receive a phone call and had to go to the store again on the Sunday.

This time the original employee was not in the store. So I spoke to another member of staff who told me he couldn’t back it up as there was too much data to burn to DVDs. He advised me I would have to purchase a external hard drive to back it up. So I purchased a hard drive at a cost of £59.99. I was then told it would take about two hours and he would call me when it was done.
    Yet again after three and half hours no one had called, so again I had to return to the store to find out what was going on. When I got there it still hadn’t been done and was told to come back at 4.15pm just before the store shut. This time when I returned it was completed.

So I returned home with my laptop and my external hard drive with the data I had asked for backed up. On my arrival I ran the system restore on the laptop and reformatted the hard drive.
    Subsequently I plugged in the external hard drive to transfer my data over, to find much of the data had not been backed up.
    Obviously I am highly disappointed that after the time spent on this, the store has lost my data.

In an attempt to resolve the situation myself, I contacted customer services on the 15th of September to make a complaint. I was promised a phone call to sort the matter out – disappointingly I received no call.
    I phoned in again the day after and was promised a refund but they would need to call me back. Yet again I received no return call.

I am not happy with the service I have received in dealing with the matter. To resolve the issue I would expect a payment of £89.98, to cover the data backup service and the hard drive which wasn’t needed.
    I will expect a written response to you within seven working days.

Yours faithfully
    Mr XXXX
  • stugibstugib Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Is it just me or does the last paragraph sound like you're expecting a cheque in the post for £90 (i.e. you're still in possession of the hard drive). I'd make it clearer you expect to get a full refund of the service + hard drive when you take it back to the store.

However, it may well be that they backed up everthing that was possible to back up and the rest was corrupted if the HD was trashed, so they may have actually delivered what they promised, but they should've let you know if that was the case so you could've made an informed decision whether to go ahead. Expect a fight!
  • Aside from their not returning calls as indicated - which was no doubt exasperated by your continual harassment of the store and call centre every 10 minutes what have they done wrong to justify a return of £90?

1) You have the hard drive they charged you for along with some data which you where again charged for. You supplied a damaged laptop, its hardly surprising that they couldnt get all the data you wanted....

At the end of the day if you dont want to lose data you should have had it backed up in advance

Yes look for an apology for the not calling back and a refund of sorts but to expect the full lot back when you have had both the service and product is totally unrealistic

I'll bet you where quite happy to install the data they did save
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from their not returning calls as indicated - which was no doubt exasperated by your continual harassment of the store and call centre every 10 minutes what have they done wrong to justify a return of £90?

1) You have the hard drive they charged you for along with some data which you where again charged for. You supplied a damaged laptop, its hardly surprising that they couldnt get all the data you wanted....

At the end of the day if you dont want to lose data you should have had it backed up in advance

Yes look for an apology for the not calling back and a refund of sorts but to expect the full lot back when you have had both the service and product is totally unrealistic

I'll bet you where quite happy to install the data they did save

the OP took the laptop to PC world as it wouldnt start(is it his fault it wouldnt start)
    the OP was first promised he would get a call from the techie saying how he had got on but no call ever came
    so he chased it up

what else was the OP meant to do, its a simple process, laptop faulty so take it to PC world, the techie said nothing could be done but he said he would back up the data and the technie should have called the OP to say "yes the data has been transfered to the ext HD"
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    the OP took the laptop to PC world as it wouldnt start(is it his fault it wouldnt start)
    the OP was first promised he would get a call from the techie saying how he had got on but no call ever came
    so he chased it up

what else was the OP meant to do, its a simple process, laptop faulty so take it to PC world, the techie said nothing could be done but he said he would back up the data and the technie should have called the OP to say "yes the data has been transfered to the ext HD"

Its possibly the OP's fault but who knows?

Im not doubting he never got the calls, but he made about 5 calls over one weekend, slight overkill perharps? maybe a bit of patience or taking it to someone who could meet his needs would have been best?

But the OP was never realistic in their timescales, Im sure like most other places, PC world probably made their calls at the end of the day hence why the OP never got their calls when they expected - within about 10 minutes:rolleyes:

apart from anything the calls issue would maybe justify a small goodwill gesture and slight apology, certainly not a full refund for a product and service they received
  • Having read all of this I noticed part of the problem was you kept having to go to the store. Couldn't you have phoned them instead?
  • Since free speech on this board is apparently dead - welcome to my ignore list *plonk*

Linas - since I think you are an alias of Tim's you are on there too. You share a lot of his characteristics.
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
  • Honeydog wrote: »
    Since free speech on this board is apparently dead - welcome to my ignore list *plonk*

A judge would probably issue an ASBO/Restraining order to tim29 against you, you clearly need to get a life and stop taking the internet so seriously as to the level you stalk another poster:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals