PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Lesley_Gaye
    Options
    you little devil you!! :rotfl:
  • longhill
    Options
    [quote=Money saving Diva;1445
    You can also make patties out of the mash and fry in a little oil with any of the above additions too. Just livens up what can be a little dull.

Hope everyone has a great day

*hugs* to all

Diva.x[/quote]
    i do these with sage in them than done in batter and fried not very healthy but once in a while doesn't hurt :rolleyes:

1/8/22 weight 15st 3lb
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Hi all!

Plum.. oooh that sounds lovely too, thank you for sharing that with us
    Justamum - hope you like them!
    Tigger - thank you and I hope you enjoy them. If I had my way I would be posting recipes every day I have such a collection, but I control myself best I can.. *chuckles*
    ISOM - I forgot to say that if I am making patties I don't use as much milk/yoghurt and dust them in some flour after I have shaped them. That seems to help a little
    Lollyfin - Yay you got them too, I am pleased, it's taken me weeks to get some but I guess they must have all had a big delivery in! I think I am addicted to the granary one!
    Longhill - now I am sat wondering whether to batter mine too next time I make the chilli mash...

Weezl hon - If I can be of any help indexing or collating recipes from the threads just let me know. I am home all day and am happy to spend some time to help if needed.

Having sausage and baked bean casserole for dinner, it's so delicious and we are trying it with value beans and not Tescos regular brand as we would normally use. My theory is that as they are being cooked with tinned tomatoes and bacon and sausages we shouldn't notice the difference. Then we can save the 'real' beans for eating 'naked' so to speak!!

Hugs to all - hope you are having a great day

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Diva..I'm sure people would be verging more towards utter gratefulness than 'not-u-again!' with money-saving recipes :p I've been attempting to keep body & soul together for more years than I care to admit--more so cuz I'm bluddin cheesed orf wiv doin-nit!--& am constantly surprised at the ideas you & others come up with.

My parents were/are definately of the 'meat-&-2-veg' ilk, whereas I'm a tad more adventerous with my own family's menus, but of course I'm still a novice to 'foreign' cooking :D

Dinner tonight is the remnants of a beef casserole, thrown into a casserole dish & a splodge of suet crust pastry on top....smells mm-mm-mmmmmm, even if I do say so mesen :D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Having sausage and baked bean casserole for dinner, it's so delicious and we are trying it with value beans and not Tescos regular brand as we would normally use. My theory is that as they are being cooked with tinned tomatoes and bacon and sausages we shouldn't notice the difference. Then we can save the 'real' beans for eating 'naked' so to speak!!
    That's the way we work in this household..... cooking them in with stuff, then it's value/smartprice beans. Cooking them as a side dish then it's the next step up (or big name when on offer which works out the same price or cheaper -- currently have some Branston ones from a S'flds offer, having just finished off some Heinz from a Mr T Discount voucher.... don't actually use them this way often 'cos I don't like them!)
    Cheryl
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Evening all

OMG i sound like a policeman........hello hello hello

Busy day at uni today been very organised and taking pack up and prepping tea beforehand(don't know how long that will last ) loving the course so far but a bit overwhelming at times

Weezl soup was made with Mr T value curry sauce so 4p thanks for doing the costings and i remember the yukkiness all to well but it does pass ,you must be due your next scan soon are you going to find out the sex? I didn't with first but did with second

Foxy tigger - thanks for that pleased you liked my piccies too

Tomorrow holds lots of reading but am hoping to make twinks hobnobs with added cranberries and white choc chunks ,testing the recipe as i want to do this for pressies at christmas

cookiesinajar.jpg

I reckon i will have to halve the recipe to use in a standard jar

then i will attach the recipe to the jar on a tag type thingy
    all the recipient needs to add is butter and syrup
    Shaz
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

well I got some more bits for my winter store cupboard :T
    • 4 huge tins of cannelini beans @ 80c/65p -800g drained weight :T
    • 5 tins of lentils with tomato puree in @ 29c/24p
    Thought both of them would come in for adding to stews n soups -I might have to get some more of them if i go back :D
    also picked up -
    • 10 kilo onions €1.79 / £1.45
    • 2 huge tins of pears
    • 2 huge tins of pineapple
    • 2 huge tins of pineapple all @ 80c/64p
    hoping whilst hubby is on his way back from golf tomorrow that JIBI will have the potatoes on offer at €2.49/ £2.00 for 10 kilos :j ... we get through a lot of potatoes in the cold weather..

shaz -those jars look lovely :T

Well after my 1st remoska going missing in transit..Lakeland sent me a 2nd one -well that has gone into the great blue yonder as well :mad: ..so I rang them today and they are attempting to send me a 3rd one :rolleyes: .. I can't fault them -but they are going to try and look into where the other 2 have gone..we think someone is diverting my goodies :mad: I also haven't received my seed order... so its looking more likely by the minute that someone is swiping my parcels :confused: - my normal stuff gets through -everything goes to hubbies work address -so it looks like its someone in the BFPO part of the process !!!
    I WILL get a remoska --I WILL -eventually :p
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!

Insomnia eh? don't you just love it? I know I'm tired, but my body wanted to wake at 6...

Just had breakfast, which sometimes helps me nap later....

Diva and ISOM, thanks loads :beer:for the offers of indexing help, I shall put my thinking cap on about how to share the job, and keep doing little and often.;)

shaz, I make the recipe 71p in total so if it made a dinner for 3 that's 23p per portion :money: truly frugalicious, well done you!:T

today I'm going to try to make some steamed jammy sponge puddings for Mr Weezl. He is in need of a treat as he is fed up of decorating! We both feel the house needs finishing before the baby comes, but we differ on what is meant by finishing!!!!:eek:

I'm going to use cheapy smartprice strawberry jam, which I've never had to do yet, as we have had lovely homemade jams before, so I'm not sure if he'll like it as much. Hmmmmmn, we shall see.:o

Have a lovely day, and hoping it's a good frugal one for you all. May be good for harvesting blackberries? I might find the energy to harvest my carrots and beets, so I'll post my results!:D

Love to you all, Weezl X

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • hmkn
    hmkn Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Plum_Pie wrote: »
    I also splurged on a mini bar of G&B's Maya Gold choc from the work canteen, I have been enjoying nibbling it for an hour. Mmmm.

Ooo, I love Maya Gold chocolate :D

We went to an agricultural show the other weekend and in the bags you gat as you go in (along with a years supply of Lea and Perrins samples) was a bar of Seeds of Change fig and orange chocolate. If you like Maya Gold you may want to consider that next time you need to celebrate :j (DH had one piece and the rest of the bar...disappeared....:o )

HMK
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    popped back with another thought.

Geeky research shows cloth nappies as winning hands down...

Disposable nappies: 14p each for branded, as low as 11p each for value brands/stores own

Average number of nappies used from birth to toilet training = 5353

cost approx £749.42 (not including wipes, sudocrem etc...) and a large poo smelling landfill mountain all caused by me :eek:

Cloth nappies
    , £200 set up costs, liners and plastic pants £50

onto the tricky bit, the cost of washing them....

my friend Helen reckons it's best to launder them every 2-3 days. My washer costs 5.5p to run at 40 degrees (I have no 30 degree setting). This would cost me £201 in electricity.

Washing powder: 50grams every 2.5 days for 2 and a half years is £15.86 in washing powder.

total £466.86. And a cleaner greener conscience!

I realise I will have to be flexible about this:o. Friends tell stories of having their children refused at nursery unless they wear 'proper nappies', and day trips or 2 day car journeys on a hot august with a carrier bag of used terries festering in the back of the boot meant that one couple I know have a 'disposables on holiday' policy now... :rotfl:

wish me luck and sory the geekiness is a bit baby-centred today!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport