PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    Have to convince them that porridge really is yummy as I've failed to date! Still, lesson learnt.

Have you tried stirring cocoa powder into it and adding lots of sugar on top after it's cooked? ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Morning all

Got back from the neurologists at 9am this morning :T -I like early morning appointments -can't stand dilly dallying around waiting..

Anyway -Im having a slow day- Have a bowl of dough proving, making macaroni cheese with leeks n peas for dinner mmm..and have these little beauties ripened...

tomyj8.th.jpg

just over 5lbs -so, as I have no freezer space Im thinking of making a big pan of cream of tomato soup ;) .. im going to leave the peppers to finish ripening with all the other tomatoes, I can't believe how bright red they are going :T

Jtb- hope they get your wages sorted out :eek:

right im off again....have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

I went shopping today - nipped into the butcher for some lean steak mince (half a pound but I find that I can get two meals out of it) and a pound of brisket - I shall slowly cook it with some onions and carrots and that will be sliced for dinner and the freezer.

I was feeling a bit adventurous today mainly because the cabbages at the greengrocers were huge and too big for one person (a family of 6 yes but for one then no), and I bought some kale. I have always thought that kale was cattle food (I remember local farmers feeding it to their cattle). I have never eaten or cooked it before so do I treat it like cabbage? and does it taste like cabbage?:confused:

I am looking forward to my cheap meals padded out with store cupboard ingredients.

Now then what can I make with some sausages (currently in the freezer) and a tin of condensed chicken soup? I have some frozen veg too.
  • Bunny200
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Have you tried stirring cocoa powder into it and adding lots of sugar on top after it's cooked? ;)

We managed to sort out enough things for brekkie, used to get the oldest one to have '3 Bears porridge with Winnie the Pooh hunny' and that used to work but now shes nearly 6 going on 16 and turns her nose up at all sorts of things that she used to eat and the LO copies her too! Children, who'd have 'em?! Actually they aren't that bad, and I found a box of rice krispies so managed to get breakfast sorted but we are definatly Old Mother Hubabrd round here atm. Tesco due any minute so normal service will be resumed. Don't usually let things run down that much but circumstances conspired against me this week and then of course the order not arriving really threw a spanner in the works. Last night I really got the munchies but there was nothing to eat! I probably was 50p a day yesterday as there was nothing here! lol!
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    I was feeling a bit adventurous today mainly because the cabbages at the greengrocers were huge and too big for one person (a family of 6 yes but for one then no), and I bought some kale. I have always thought that kale was cattle food (I remember local farmers feeding it to their cattle). I have never eaten or cooked it before so do I treat it like cabbage? and does it taste like cabbage?:confused:

I lightly steam kale or stir fry with a little chopped smoked bacon ,tastes a bit like spring greens if that helps

Shaz
    Shaz
  • Bunny200
    Options
    I have food!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    I have food!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yayyyyyyyy!!

I am waiting for my Tescos order too and I have always found them to be very efficient and usually ring to ask if they can come earlier than later in the two hour slot!

I tried to do a shop at Asda online but couldn't navigate the site very easily and went back to Tescos as it is all so clear and easy and I like to see pictures of what I am buying!

Hope everyone is having a good day. I came across some recipes for using up left overs and things and wondered if anyone would be interested in me posting them? I don't want to clutter up the thread too much. Some of them are things I have done in the past to use up left over pasta or rice, some are about stretching your meat etc. Have to dig through them and find the best.

Anyway, am drinking a huge mug of redbush tea while watching Bargain Hunt cos I love Tim Wonnacott and David Barbie so am feeling very decadent. I should be over on the flylady thread really with my list of busy things but will lurk here a little longer!:rotfl: :rotfl:

*Hugs* to all who need them

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I came across some recipes for using up left overs and things and wondered if anyone would be interested in me posting them? I don't want to clutter up the thread too much. Some of them are things I have done in the past to use up left over pasta or rice, some are about stretching your meat etc. Have to dig through them and find the best.
    Oooooo, yes please :)

We don't have left over rice/pasta (always cook what we need), but anything to help stretch meet would be FAB due to DH claiming not to have eaten if the meal doesn't have any meat with it :eek:
    Cheryl
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    And.......breathe.

I've just found out that my temp job is going to finish 10 weeks earlier than I'd previously been told. I will be unemployed in 3 weeks! This is within the boundaries of my contract, I'm just a bit stunned. Of course, this month has been an expensive one for me - OU course fees, gas and leccy bills, new work clothes (essential - things were falling apart)!) etc.

I've contacted the agency I've been temping through and sent my CV off to several others. I've also bookmarked a few relevant searches on some jobs sites. Honestly, I am looking forward to a change, I just thought I had more time to make it!

CW, when I have leftover meat, I usually make a sortof hash. I chop the meat into thin strips and fry it up with lots of onions, garlic and EITHER herbs or chili powder. I serve this with spuds (if using herbs) or rice (if using chili for flavour). Sometimes I put the cooked rice/steamed spuds in the pan with the meat (uses more oil though!) and give it a stir - lovely flavour. I would add a steamed green veg to this meal and sometimes add finely diced carrot or pepper when cooking the meat.

If you're using chicken or pork in this way. It's really nice to add some chorizo/ bacon/salami etc to the meat/onions mix.
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Has anyone else found that blackberies are awful, tiny and not many off them?-flipping weather
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure