PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Lesley_Gaye
    Options
    Shaz, I make fantastic rolls, 'tho I say so myself, and am still perfecting the loaves. This is what I do

For 6 bread rolls

250g flour, I just use the 35p Smartprice flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    sachet of instant yeast
    1 1/4 cups warm water (310ml)

put everything in a bowl and mix until all incorporated. No need to knead, and it will be too wet anyway. Put the covered bowl in a warm place for 20 mins. I warm the oven (just a little bit) and put it in there.

Take out and give it all a little knead, you will need to add some more flour. I don't knead it much, hardly at all really.

Divide into 6 and shape into rolls. Place on a greased baking tray and allow to rise in the warm place for another 20 minutes.

(I put them in the oven for 10 minutes, then take them out and put them on the hob while the oven is pre-heating for the next 10 mins. I put them on the hob because the pre-heating oven sends a little warmth up to them)

Put in an oven pre-heated to 200 degrees for 20 minutes, and Bob's your uncle, lovely crusty rolls.

HTH, Lesley
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cheryl - isn't wheat flour just brown flour ie wholemeal ???
    nope! got the impression (trying to turn the bag over to read it) that it's something most commonly used for Indian cooking/baking
    Cheryl
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Morning all

Well I have a loaf of dough proving, and a pan of leek n potato soup on the go .... Have decided that for the time being Im going to have to make hubbies soups as and when I need them (no room in the freezer YET :rolleyes: ).. so Im making enough for 2 flasks at a time.... he will get leek n potoato tomorrow.. then I will make a different one for thurs and then leek n tata for friday...It smells lovely -so i might snaffle a small bowl for lunch :p ..
    I picked up that 2kilo net of leeks for i think €3.. i thought it felt much heavier -Just weighed them and there is 4 kilo :eek: :j .. And they are the lovely thin sweet ones :T
    So I have used some in the soup , tomorrow im making a thick cheese sauce (have loads of cheese) adding some saute leeks, peas, and cooked pasta and making a macaroni cheese thingy... Then I will use some more of the leeks with the leftover chicken and make a pie ;)
    Hopefully that will be the end of the leeks for now ..hhhmmm just need to deal with all the cabbage next :rotfl:

Dinner tonight is layered potatoes n onions with bacon on the top -baked in the oven -one of my faves ..I have a serious potato fetish :confused: in fact im a Carb junky :o

Boredofbeingathome - I got my sausage maker from a store on E-bay... its a "shark" It only comes out to play every 2-3 months but I make at least 10lb of sausage at a time -well it saves washing up :D . It has to be the best gadget I have I think..... I think last time I worked out my sausages they were costing me about 4p each -I will have to do new costings when i make my next batches.... I could make them cheaper but I don't put any breadcrumbs etc in mine..just meat and herbs n seasonings.
    We never really had sausage that often as even the really good ones seemed to be full of fat -these aren't like that and with being solid meat they are filling -so we eat less :j although left to his own devices hubby would eat the lot :rotfl:

Right I had better get and check the nonny mouse site and then get on with some knitting :T
    have a great day everyone :D
    Just realised..has Munchki disappeared? or have I just missed her posts?.. wooo hoo munchki -where are you????
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    nope! got the impression (trying to turn the bag over to read it) that it's something most commonly used for Indian cooking/baking

Might have been Atta, used for chappatti's etc, which is more or less ordinary flour as far as I know
  • cw18
    Options
    Just done a Google -- 'twas Chakki Atta, but I'm still not a lot wiser on the uses for it ;)
    Cheryl
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Options
    In this recipe for a veggie korma by Gordon Ramsay, Gordon defines Atta flour as '400g atta flour (a mix of 200g wholemeal flour and 200g plain flour sifted together'

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/gordons-veggie-korma-recipe_p_1.html

As far as I know, you can use it just the same as any brown flour
  • cw18
    Options
    ta muchly all --- intrigues me when I see new things (though I must admit I'm more likely to spot them if they're Whoopsies! these days, as I try not to 'browse' the normal aisles too much ;))
    Cheryl
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Hi all

I really enjoy this thread and read it avidly but find myself without anything useful to contribute, so I lurk and read and just love you all!!

Wanted to say that I have found the recipe lists on here invaluable. I have a HUGE collection of recipe books and have posted a lot of my own things over the boards here in MS OS, but I really enjoy collecting new recipes to try and so thank you to everyone who contributes and lists the recipes for us!

My OH is wonderful with the BM we got on freecycle - he gets it going before he goes to work and I take it out of the machine at lunchtime so it cools ready for him to come home and grab a sandwich. We both feel so much better for doing that and not spending a fortune on loaves every other day! I also loved growing my own peppers and chillis and tomatoes and plan to grow more next year, plus our Christmas potatoes are thriving despite the odd weather!

We could never meet Weezls amazing standards of frugality but just the knowledge that we are trying makes us both feel so much better. Our income has shrunk so much due to petrol costs etc (as has everyones) and I have been so scared of sliding into debt, just to keep up with household bills, but at least now I feel more in control and hopefully over the next few months we will see a difference!

Anyway, I have waffled enough, just wanted to make my presence known again and to say thank you to everyone who is so helpful and inspiring, not least of course, Weezl.

*hugs* to all

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think munchki was going on holiday. I remember she was worried that she had offended someone :confused: but I'm sure she said she was away for a while.

has anyone been watching "What to eat now"? lots of recipes using blackberries and sloe gin!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone ....... hello to Money saving Diva too :wave:

Just been and picked about 3lb of raspberries :eek: :T , they're doing so well ! I only picked about 1lb the day before yesterday and there's literally hundreds more ripening off ! Have already put some in the freezer but will have a lot more to go in yet - be wonderful to have some over the winter :D.

Also popped into the greenhouse to pick the last of the tomatoes and I noticed they've got new growth and some new trusses on them - must be this funny weather lol ... they were looking rather sorry for themselves last week and now they've perked up and started to grow again :confused: .

Courgettes have just about had it now, got the last 3 off. Several more small ones but will leave them a few days to see if they swell any more.

I have a Guide Meeting tonight (which I'd forgotten about :doh: ) so my plans to do some cooking have gone out of the window (wanted to use up the apples and carrots we got from the pick your own at the weekend) ...... will just have to do it tomorrow night ! Will be a quick dinner too (had planned to do chicken casserole but will have to be chicken 'n' chips now :p ).

I'm going to sit down one evening this week and see if I can sort out a list of what's in the cupboards and freezer - going to try and do the grocery challenge and set it at £200 for the month (5 of us and a dog). Not sure if I'll do it but I'll give it a good go ! Not as frugal as some I know, but it's a heck of a lot less than what we used to spend ! :o

Right gotta do school run - have a good afternoon everyone xx
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family