PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bunny that's unbelievable for Asda to treat you that way! grrr!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Bunny200
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    Bunny that's unbelievable for Asda to treat you that way! grrr!

Don't worry managed to get a slot with Tesco tomorrow lunchtime so we can eat soon!! Just have to get through breakfast tomorrow, options for the kids get less and less each day!!! One single weetabix left so they might have to fight for that one tomorrow morning lol :D. Have to convince them that porridge really is yummy as I've failed to date! Still, lesson learnt.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Just popping n to say hello before bed..very bad food da today - 3 lots of bread as toast for brekkie, sandwich for lunch and tea!! oops...
    hello weezl...hope youre ok and not too poopied while being a fergus grow bag!! hugs for you and mr am....
    am off to bed as absolutely shattered plus have turned into a spotty teenager - not good at the age of 39!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Ceridwen --is there any way I could adapt that to do in the remoska ? i cant use the big oven , I have stored all my pots in it because I dont use it any more.
    I'm not good at cooking and dont want just throw it in the remosk in case it all goes to hell !

Errrr.....'fraid the closest I've ever come to a Remoska is study it, realise they've got non-stick coatings and move on.....

But maybes someone else can help you out on that. I dont know how vital the standing the casserole dish in a tin of water is - I guess its to help keep the bread soft when it cooks - so I always do it myself.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    Don't worry managed to get a slot with Tesco tomorrow lunchtime so we can eat soon!! Just have to get through breakfast tomorrow, options for the kids get less and less each day!!! One single weetabix left so they might have to fight for that one tomorrow morning lol :D. Have to convince them that porridge really is yummy as I've failed to date! Still, lesson learnt.

You could give them bread and milk - ie slices of bread torn up into chunks and heated in a saucepan with a reasonable amount of milk to cover it. I stir in a teaspoonful of honey to sweeten it myself - but one could use summat else for sweetening - sugar :eek: , dried sultanas or whatever.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A very similar recipe - from "How to feed your family for £4 a day - The Benefit Book" by Bernadine Lawrence:

6 slices wholemeal bread
    1 Tablespoon honey or brown sugar
    1 pint milk

- Toast, lightly butter and dice the bread. Divide into serving bowls.
    - Sweeten the milk with the honey or sugar. Heat then pour over the toast cubes.

(1989 pricing was 43p out of interest - suspect its much the same price now - ie 19 years later - if using homemade bread - as she would have been - and having sugar as the sweetening).
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another one of her breakfast recipes:

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 Tablespoons popcorn
    1.5 pints milk

Heat the oil in a saucepan with tight-fitting lid. Add popcorn and cover. the corn will start to pop as it cooks over a moderate heat. When popping sounds cease its ready. Sweeten to taste with brown sugar and add milk.

(54p was the 1989 cost - again doubt it costs much if any more now 19 years later).
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all .....

Bunny 200 ..... that's awful ! I was going to try Asda home delivery next week but think i'll give it a miss and go myself instead (30 mile round trip !) I did go a few weeks ago and did a mega shop and it was much cheaper than Ts but if I decide to use them regularly, then I need to make sure I do mega shops each time so that I can justify the petrol :rolleyes: .

I've got a rubbish morning ahead of me ....... got to ring work as they've not paid me right :mad: and I know i'm going to be pushed from pillar to post (local authority !) ...... it's one of my real pet hates - people not doing their job properly - so i've got to end up spending my time sorting it out because someone has mucked up. I wouldn't usually bother (should right itself next month as i'm term-time only but paid throughout the year - someone obviously hasn't realised that !) but it's over £150 i'm short ! :eek:

Anyway, I got 2 apples pies made before my meeting last night and the chicken n chips was a really nice change (not often we have chips !) Finished the sweetcorn off too and had one of the apple pies for dessert :o , so I've got to make another one for the freezer tonight.

I'm hoping to start my cousin's nappy cake tonight (set aside the evening to make a start) so if anyone has made one, i'd be grateful for some pointers ! :D

Hope everyone has a good day xx
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Been bulk cooking for the freezer today ..................i got up early !!!

made
    coconut loaf
    loaf bread
    made pastry for a cherry and apple pie for later
    beetroot soup
    Also made a lovely sausage casserole from
    8 cooked sausages
    4 carrots
    2 onion
    2 leeks
    3 sticks celery
    3 small apples
    new potatoes

all cooked in a white sauce with a dollop of wholegrain mustard

cant stop tasting it ...LOL

sept24018.jpg

most of the veg was from the garden inc the apples and pots the sausages cost 35p whoopsied

another really cheapy dinner here again

also a few pics my first chinese cabbage and the last of my tomatoes

sept24003.jpg

sept24006.jpg

Shaz
    Shaz
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    jtb2412 wrote: »
    Morning all .....

Bunny 200 ..... that's awful ! I was going to try Asda home delivery next week but think i'll give it a miss and go myself instead (30 mile round trip !)[ours is an 80+mile round trip, so no real wonder we make a day of it!] I did go a few weeks ago and did a mega shop and it was much cheaper than Ts but if I decide to use them regularly, then I need to make sure I do mega shops each time so that I can justify the petrol :rolleyes: .[me too:o ]
    I'm hoping to start my cousin's nappy cake tonight (set aside the evening to make a start) so if anyone has made one, i'd be grateful for some pointers ! :D[Have a nosey on 'How Can I Make This' on Special Occasions I think:rolleyes: ]

Hope everyone has a good day xx

Hope you don't mind me having a rearrangement of your bits JTB but it was easier on my noggin than trying to remember what I wanted to say :p
    Someone else was asking about ideas for doing things, & I cannot rate the peeps over on Special Occasions highly enough...there are fantastic ideas for all manner of goodies, from 'Finished Baskets' with loads of ideas for hamper-type gifts, to 'Crafty for Christmas' that has terrific links to instructions on so many diverse projects, like knitting a santa tea-cosy to make a sock monkey & literally anything in between :D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family