My Excel mortgage spreadsheet

Options

Comments

• Locoblade
    Locoblade Posts: 795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be me, I didnt have the spreadsheet to hand at work so was going by memory on what I thought should work. I'll try and remember to fire up my laptop tonight at home and have a look.
    My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173
  • debtslave_2
    Options
    Hi Locoblade, fantastic work on the spreadsheet! Just want to know if there is a way to start the offset calculations at a certain time into the loan rather than at the start? Just trying to replicate my current circumstances... cheers.
  • Locoblade
    Options
    Thanks for your prompt response!

I tried doing what you suggested, but it seemed to have caused a problem with the 'cumulative offset savings' column. (The figures in that entire column remains the same, rather than accumulating an extra $2500 per month as it was previously) i.e. remaining at $65000 and not increasing an extra $2500 per month.

Did I miss something?

thanks again

Looking at it with the spreadsheet open it works as I explained above with a basic mortgage but in conjunction with offsetting it appears that it doesn't like both. Not sure how else you can do it, sorry.
    My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173
  • Locoblade
    Options
    debtslave wrote: »
    Hi Locoblade, fantastic work on the spreadsheet! Just want to know if there is a way to start the offset calculations at a certain time into the loan rather than at the start? Just trying to replicate my current circumstances... cheers.

Thanks :) Yep, just ignore the offset boxes on the front page and input the offset amount in the monthly tab in the "Monthly Offset Saving" column for the month you want it to start.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Bumping...enormously helpful, thank you so much.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Thorrrr
    Thorrrr Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Locoblade
    Can i ask a couple of quick questions i am sure you have been asked before. How do i use the SS to show Overpayment figures which are only allowed yearly. I am looking at one that allows 10% once a year?

Second query
    Early repayments on several products now show 3% 1 Year 2% 2 Year how can i view that option properly ?

Thorrrr
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • brokenmadness
    Options
    Hi - wish I'd found this a long time ago and firstly thanks for the effort and time that has clearly gone into this.

If I may add one suggestion however for future updates, it would be really useful to have a "real cost" on the comparison. This is a simple calculation from the figures already generated:

Real Cost (i.e. non-loan reducing costs) = Total Cost up to the period 'y' - (Initial loan value - Total capital remaining at the end of period 'y').

As noted in your description on the field 'Total Cost up to the period' you identify that this is the total 'outgoings' against the mortgage and that it 'lower' isn't necessarily better.

It's quite an easy calc and I've done it separately but would be very useful to have incorporated if you release an update :).

Thanks again! :beer:
  • sradchris46
    Options
    First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to do this spreadsheet. Its helped me no end!

One thing that might be useful though, is the addition of purchase price and LTV running alongside monthly or year end payments.

Having just got a mortgage at 90% ltv myself, it would be good to see what difference overpayments have on the LTV as the months progress. It would enable me to quickly see if I can drop into the next interest rate band by the end of my initial period and decide whether it would be a good idea to switch mortgages to save on monthly payments.

I tried adding a simple formulae myself, but as (rightly) you have protected the sheet, I cant add to it.
  • tonyn_2
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm using the latest version of Numbers on OSX Mavericks and the spreadsheet is broken, I'm afraid.

Can't seem to get it working in Google Docs either :(
  • Seriously great work - fantastic spreadsheet.

Is there any chance that you could share the password with me over PM (I'd like to add a couple of calcs so that I can do some goal seeks for the comparisons). No worries if you'd rather not - would just save me some time.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure