how long will i be on dial up for

Options
hi at the mo i'm on tiscali surf anytime and want to go on to broadband with the same company. When i was reading about it on the web page it said that when i upgrade, i will be down graded to pay as you go for a few days until my broadband is set up. The thing is i always thought it took a few weeks to get it all set up, I have been putting of getting broadband because of this (i don't fancy what my phone bill will look like)

Does anyone know how long it takes, if it is only a few days i will just have to take a few tranquilizers, hide computer and cry quietly in a corner.
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching
Save the cheerleader, save the world!

Comments

• Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ditto!!

we wanna switch aol BB->Tiscalli BB, but not sure how long I can live without MSE for!!

we've been putting it off too, and tiscalli is about half the price for 4 times the speed....
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    I use Tiscali, it took about 5 days to get it all sorted. They do a line test, then a further line test, then they send you an email saying woo-hoo your ready to go, and then they send you the modem and filters.
    I ditched their modem as soon as I realised I'd need a router to give both my PCs access to the `net. I bought a combined router and modem for £18 off eBay, so they arent expensive.
    As for the looooong wait (well it feels like it anyway ;)); I used a normal pay-go dial in isp while I waited too, and I think it cost me about £6 all in for the access while I waited for the broadband to be installed. Not bad considering I'm saving £3 a month just by using Tiscali instead of NTL (moved out of a NTL area so had to change ISPs)

sharon
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    Options
    was that BB->BB, or dial-up->BB???
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    so does it go to dial up from when you upgrde until you get the modem then its free again?
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    Options
    Its much easir once your on broadband to migrate providing your within the old ISP's terms and conditions about giving warning to migrate some are 4 weeks, you request your mac code and give that to your new ISP all within the specified notice period. Once BT wholesale get your mac code from your enw isp its shouldnt take more than a week or so, and off line for a hour or so. My last migration last November was less than an hour. In May migrated to 2mb from 1mb and it happended in secs. This is for broadband not 56k
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    Yep very true.

Be warey of the different types of services though. Once you migrate to some, ie Freedom2Surf, Bulldog, you may not be able to migrate elsewhere for free.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • safesound
    Options
    was that BB->BB, or dial-up->BB???

BB to Dialup to BB. :D

sharon
  • safesound
    Options
    so does it go to dial up from when you upgrde until you get the modem then its free again?

Uhm, yeah, if your talking call charges.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wolfman wrote:
    Yep very true.

Be warey of the different types of services though. Once you migrate to some, ie Freedom2Surf, Bulldog, you may not be able to migrate elsewhere for free.

Last I knew you couldn't migrate from Tiscali. Have a read through the Internet Board (I will move this thread there).
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Dude
    Dude Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look here http://www.adslguide.org/ will answer a lot of your questions about ADSL. Also may be worth looking at the compare section of this website before signing up to an ISP, and watch out for the cancellation/migration charges. Freedom 2 Surf is getting very good reviews, prob worth a look.
    2 heads are better than 1….unless they are on the same body!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure