We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Benefits/elect & Gas Tariff

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I cant find anything liek this on scottish power site --plus I just realized most of our costs go on COAL lol !
  • kkpolobear
    Options
    edf has one but i cant think what its called of the top of my head
  • katie1
    katie1 Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    i saw martin lewis on lorraine kelly show and he was saying these "special" tariffs for people on benefits aren't always the cheapest he said you can get cheaper online . so to all you thinking of moving tariffs do your home work first .
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katie1 wrote: »
    i saw martin lewis on lorraine kelly show and he was saying these "special" tariffs for people on benefits aren't always the cheapest he said you can get cheaper online . so to all you thinking of moving tariffs do your home work first .
    They may not be cheapest but they are a lot cheaper.

The British Gas Essentials Tariff is cheaper than the current standard tariff, it includes a direct debit discount you would not normally get & any price increase is delayed at least to next year.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Essentials tarriff isn't cheaper than British Gas 'Click 5' tariff from what I have found so far. I searched for 'essentials+tariff' last night on the forum, several angry customers who've been put onto essentials and realised Click tariffs were cheaper.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »
    Essentials tarriff isn't cheaper than British Gas 'Click 5' tariff from what I have found so far. I searched for 'essentials+tariff' last night on the forum, several angry customers who've been put onto essentials and realised Click tariffs were cheaper.
    Not sure, but you need to be careful out there.

On British Gas Essentials Tariff you basically get the Direct Debit rate with a Tier 2 unit discount up to £12 per quarter however you pay as you don't need to be on Direct Debit.

Any price increase is postponed till April 2009, so you remain on old rates.

BG Essentials Gas rates (excl. VAT) I was quoted were:

Tier 1: 4.192p/kWh
    Tier 2: 2.314p/kWh

You get Tier 2 unit discount of 0.27p/kWh up to £12 per quarter.

Click Energy 5 Gas rates are:

Tier 1: 5.684p/kWh
    Tier 2: 3.385p/kWh

Direct Debit discount is 10% up to maximum £16.89 per quarter.

So it seems to me that Click 5 rates are more expensive although you get bigger quarterly discount, but you have to be on Direct Debit which you don't with BG Essentials Tariff to get the quarterly discount.

I'm also not sure whether you can be just on Gas with Click 5 or have to be dual fuel.

Ps: BG Essentials Rates confirmed in a letter from British Gas.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    +Actually the BG Essentials tariff is one of the better ones - as the price is frozen at the OLD levels until next april (from memory). While the online tariff there is currently cheaper its very likely to go up soon.

My slight scorn about someo of the over 60s and special tariffs is with some companies the online tariffs are actually cheaper.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I cant find anything liek this on scottish power site --plus I just realized most of our costs go on COAL lol !

I dont think SP do one!
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that John, those are different rates to what I was told when enquiring for someone, but I do wonder if it's another which depends on area as to what rates apply.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    No Mummy, yur right. they have some scheme whereby your elect payment gets taken off the benefit before you get it. And theres NOWAY I'm letting them do that LOL I dont trust them one inch. Will just continue paying as normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure