Benefits/elect & Gas Tariff

Options
I heard today that if you are on certain benefits then you can ask for a lower or special tariff for gas & elect. Does anybody know anything about this ?

Comments

• nosierosie
    Options
    hi i havent heard anything about but hopes its true as my elcetric is costing me about £4.50 every day and i think its really expensive its like £30 a week god help when winter sets in is it going to cost me another £30 a week for gas if so that is 60 a week its a joke i think something needs to be done
    won a chinese cookbook and Le Creuset Roasting Dish, Le Creuset Oven Gloves, a potato peeler, a bottle of Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and a hamper containing all of Albert Bartlett's finest root vegetables.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I only found out about this recently and as it happens my supplier (swalec) has a special tariff for people on certain benefits. I telephoned them and found I was eligible - it works out at 20% a massive help.

Other suppliers have special tariffs and would advise you look on your suppliers' website to have a look and then give them a ring.
  • septemberblues
    Options
    I got this letter today from British Gas, I have my electric and gas with them (on card meters)
    "Our Essentials tariff give eligible customers like you the same gas and electricity prices as customers who pay monthly by Direct Debit, which is the lowest standard tariff we offer......."

Basically you need to be on IS, DLA, pension credit,(I think generally means tested benefits, apart from DLA) etc

The letter doesn't have a general BG number to call, I would imagine they have a webpage probably www.britishgas.org.uk . You are looking for the Essentials tariff.

Hope that helps.
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I can't comment on other tariffs, but be careful with the BG one, as it is not always the cheapest option.

I did suggest that the MSE Team did an article on the subject, but got no response! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    Options
    With BG you can apply for the essentials if you are in receipt of CTC/WTC amongst others.
    I can't comment on other tariffs, but be careful with the BG one, as it is not always the cheapest option.

Yes, agree with this, Click5? tarif was cheapest last time I checked, but their claim is that the essentials tarif is as low as their standard tarif.
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just thought I'd add to the chorus dissing British Gas' Essentials tariff as not being very good. Most people will find their online (or others' online) tariffs to be better value. And for low users their is Ebico (or npower, if you can afford to pay extra every month for the annual rebate.)

And if you are elderly, ill or have children there is npower's 'Spreading Warmth' scheme (which gives many people FREE gas and electricity.)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I dont have gas and am with scottish power, so will go onto their site and see whats doing. We're on Pension Credit and DLA. I find it awful that they dont advertise these special rates and leave it to people to find out and apply.
  • stef240377
    stef240377 Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    Options
    On the utilities board there is a thread on this. I am currently with Southern Electric for both gas and electricity. I had to phone up a number that was on the thread and go through a questionaire with a pleasant lady on the other end. You have to be paying out more than 10% of your income and be on certain benefits to qualify. If you are disabled and need to have access to power during a power cut they put you on a priority list to get some form of supply into your property especially if you need medication keeping refridgerated.

With southern they use the quarterly readings to work out what you are entitled to back and send you out a cheque. You remain on the plan for two years and are then reviewed. If you continue to be elligible they will work out what plan is better for you at the end of the review date and you also get sent 4 energy efficient light bulbs.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know if EON, have any special tariffs for people on benefits? I have looked on their web-site, but no joy.
  • stef240377
    stef240377 Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1041223

This should take you to the thread on the utilities board regarding this.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure