After a new PC but not Vista

New Post Advanced Search

After a new PC but not Vista

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
28 replies 1.5K views
smoggyuk_2smoggyuk_2 Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
Ive been after a new pc for a while now. After hearing many problems with compatability problems with Vista I put the purchase on hold.

Ive got to the point now that my current machine (probably about 5-6 years old) is really starting to struggle. Ive been looking at a mcahine in PC World for a while now and it looks pretty good to me (see link).

The only problem is it comes with Vista.Ive started looking at buying a copy of XP but am so confused by all the seemingly different versions, services packs and varying prices I find on amazon, pc world etc.

PC world for example offer Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade with Service Pack 2 for £89.99

Yet amazon offer what looks to be the same product for a massivly different price £189.48 (see link) . Surely with such a massive difference these cant be the same thing?

and then theirs this version XP Home, Service Pack 2 (link) on amazon. for just £57.95. Is this just an update rather than a full version?

Im so confused. Also is their much difference between Home and Pro versions?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Fonz_2Fonz_2 Forumite
    393 posts
    The talk about compatibility problems with vista is coming up for 2 years old... Don't believe the hype.
  • dcag36dcag36 Forumite
    6 posts
    when Vista first came out yes there were issues but now most software companys has caught up and has made there software compatible, having said that if your going to purchase windows xp go for service pack 2 or higher much better in security wise.

Beware if you purchase a vista machine and want to load xp on it the driver software may not work with xp therefore your drivers will be useless. also the makers of the pc would of put different partitions onto the hard drive and these would have to be deleted in order for xp to go onto the machine PLEASE NOTE: once these partitions are deleted there is no way of going back to vista unless you get a vista recovery cd with the machine or you purchase vista from the shop.
  • coolagarrycoolagarry Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Fonz wrote: »
    The talk about compatibility problems with vista is coming up for 2 years old... Don't believe the hype.

I agree entirely
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • poppy_f1poppy_f1 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    i've had 2 pc's on vista since the beginning of the year and havent yet come across a program that wasnt compatible

it will depend on what your using the PC for, if its just for general use then there wont be many problems with vista
    i do a lot of video converting and no probs here
  • Just go with Vista. Check before spending any cash that your hardware will work. To be honest I think there have been les compatibility problems with Vista than therer were with XP when it was launched.

BTW the difference in price is because the Amazon one appears to be the full edition if XP whereas the PC World one is an upgrade edition.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• robt_2robt_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

Totally agree - and to be honest it was so overhyped even when there were only a few problems with it.

OP: Ignore any negative reviews or comments your hear about Vista - it will be totally fine.
  • logie28logie28 Forumite
    323 posts

I agree totally, had vista from the week it came out, had a few minor compatibility issues to start, which can be expected! most problems ironed out now,

techie geeks "dont like change" i was sceptical at first , but thought id go with the advanced version of windows, young bill hasn't made his billions through trial and error. " no such thing as BAD press"
    more people had problems with the delay of vista, i think a lot of nit picking went on.
    personally i think its the dogs balls..
  • If you buy a PC with the higher end VISTA installed you can get a free downgrade to XP Pro.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've got no reason to have any issues running Vista, you're just regurgitating Chinese whispers you've heard.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support