PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stretching leather shoes?

Options

Comments

• hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought Shoe stretcher spray from Jones, which worked brilliantly. You spray it on the inside so hopefully would be ok with suede, but I used it on leather so I can't say for definite would be ok. It was the first time I used it, and worked brilliantly.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    get a water spray and spray THE INSIDE!!.. or.. put on wet socks and wear them for 10 minutes so the inside is just damp.. take off the socks and wear them for 15 minutes.

You can often get those shoe stretchers in the charity shop.

a smudge of vaseline along the tight parts would do the trick but I sure as heck wouldn't be getting that stuff near suede.

flouncing around the office in them for an hour a day should do the trick!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wear them with a couple of thick pairs of socks with perhaps a pair of socks over the whole shoe if you really want to keep them looking pristine.

Have a wonderful wedding day!
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    They are all-leather inside and out so that would probably work too - I'll get some at the weekend.

normally I'd just wear them till they stretched but I don;t want to get them dirty or ruin them!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could try putting potato peelings inside overnight. It's a very old trick with leather.

It's a good idea to wear the shoes indoors a fair bit before the wedding so that they are properly broken in - you don't want to limp by the end of the day!
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ooh, making them damp inside sounds a plan. I bought some leather shoes at teh weekend, they were tight, wore them in the rain, now they are not tight! Loads of fab and easy ideas here, thank you.

I will continue to flounce round the office showing them off though!
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hold a warm hairdryer over them and aim at the inside of them and then wear them - should warm the leather a little so it gives a bit. Don't get it too hot though otherwise you melt the glue that sticks the bottom lining in ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have an older thread on stretching leather shoes. I'll add your thread to that one to keep all ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ha ha! It's my thread anyway! lol

guess I have this issue a lot!
  • mancbird
    mancbird Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These all seem like really good ideas but I'm not sure they will work on my new shoes?

I bought them this week and they are really comfy apart from the strap that goes across the top of my foot. I have a really "high" foot, iykwim and often struggle to get shoes that are high enough for my feet to fit into. These new shoes are the same and I really want to stretch them in some way as they re really lovely shoes and they were quite expensive! They don't rub my feet at all and are comfy in every other way apart from this!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport