PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stretching leather shoes?

Options

Comments

• redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Stuff them with damp newspaper and leave overnight, worked for me, but is there no other shoes you can wear tomorrow ? it would be horrible to ruin an occasion with tight shoes.
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    Damp the inside of the shoe and put a potato in side each.
    HTH.

Edited to say but I take the spuds out before trying them on lol ;)
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
  • Kitikat
    Kitikat Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far, I'll give anything a go.

redruby - I bought these shoes specially for this occasion, they are a really unusual colour and a definite part of the outfit I am wearing, I am very reluctant to wear another pair.
  • Kitikat
    Kitikat Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks queenpig. I would press the thanks button but it seems to have disappeared.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi kitiKat,

This older thread might give you some more ideas:

Stretching leather shoes?

I'll merge your thread with that one later as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    shoppergal wrote: »
    i remember reading somewhere that if you put a plastic bag in the shoes(make sure there's no holes in the bag), fill with water and put it into the freezer that when the water freezes, the ice stretches the leather.

have never tried it so no idea if it works.
    I've tried that, and it does work ;)
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kitikat,

I have heard, but never tried, that if you put vinegar in shoes and wear until they are dry it will stretch them to fit you....not sure how the colour would fare, as you say its unusual

Good luck

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Odd request I know but my expensive wedding shoes arrived today and they are quite tight across the width of my foot, where my toes are.

Obviously I want to keep them pretty pristine but I do need to stretch them - the sample pair in the shop were v comfy so I know they will but how to do it?

They are suede so I can;t get water near them but they are all-leather inside and out, soles included, so I think should be easily stretchable?

Any ideas? Other than wear them which I am doing in the office right now.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • olliesmummy06
    olliesmummy06 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    I usually wear a couple of pairs of thick socks with new shoes for a few hours to stretch them....seems to do the trick. Good luck and have a fab wedding!!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That's a good idea - I'll try that later. The shop said theya re supposed to be tight at first becayse the leather WILL stretch and otehrwise they'd end up too big, so i will just persevere with wearing them (although currently my toes feel like they are going to fall off!)
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure