PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• victoriajj
    Options
    My DD1 who works p/t at Mr M's bought home 4 posh pizza's (full price about £3) 3 lumps of cheese and 2 packs of doughnuts last night for 90p. I managed to squeeze the pizzas and cheese in the freezer but that left no room for the stock pot full of veg soup I'd just made and was planning to freeze. Guess what I've got for dinner all this week
  • Jane2112
    Jane2112 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popped in to amend my signature.
    had to go to Asda last week :mad: , to get a few things for camping that aldi dont have, but did stock up for the month so shouldn't need to go again.

When you actually keep the receipts and look at what you spend it does make you think. I am always amazed by people who say 'I just chuck it in the trolley, I don't know how much things are!!':confused:

Now I am off to check out the recipies and intend to start baking.
    Jane 2112
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Have now updated siggy, so pretty much a third of the way into my budget which by this coming weekend when we next spend will be about right.

Somerfield had lean mince on a deal for £1.75 for 400g so last night we had homemade chilli, and a little each for lunch today at work. It has left another 2 dinners worth for the 2 of us which is great.

Tonight it will be mackrel from the freezer caught by a friend of ours and sweet potato & sweetcorn... so a very MSE meal!

Interesting to see the main supermarkets now having a very overt pricewar on telly against the bigger brands, comparing own brand to big brands and telling the consumer how much they can save... there is a big article on this in the Grocer magazine this week, sad to read trade press but it's what we have in the office and I learn alot for my shopping knowledge from the food & drink industry goings-on (better than engineering weekly or something :rotfl: )
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    evening, well made a lovely bombay potato dahl in the slow cooker today, am stuffed! i used red split lentil, various curry spices (cumin, turmeric, ginger, garlic etc) chook stock, water, chickpeas, yellow pepper, onion.
    left it all day and then par boiled the potatoes and chucked them in to simmer with sc on high for 30-40 mins. :D

also a nsd, too wet to be faffed going anywhere.
    might nip to lidl tomorrow and get some charmin (offer) and some lenor(offer) as i know my mum will want me to pick up a few lenors for her as well.

hope you're all well and hugs to those that need them x

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• angelnikki
    Options
    Hi :hello:

Just about to update my siggy. My MrT delivery came to £59.80 But this included some salmon that is half price at the moment £5 instead of £10 ;)

Shouldnt need to buy much for the rest of the month as my freezer and cupboards are really full.

Take care everyone :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Have updated siggy.

My weakness has been my lunches, which I usually end up buying out on the 3 days I am in the office. Even though I manage to pack a lunch for DD. And did the same today even though signed up for this challenge! :embarasse

Feeling a bit better now as dinner was bolognaise sauce out of the freezer from previous batch cook plus pasta from store cupboard; cooked extra pasta for lunch tomorrow, have added some cooked chicken breast from freezer from a previous Sunday roast. Have salad/veggie stuff in to add in the morning & honey & mustard for dressing, So fingers crossed on a NSD for tomorrow!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Went to Aldi today, and spent a bit more as was buying fruit etc for pregnant DD, who's come home to roost;) I am making lots of healthy soups etc for her, as she is still very sick at 12 weeks:o
    Off to look at some recipes:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Herewegoagain
    Options
    Hiya guys, went to 99p shop today to look for freezer meal containers that someone mentioned on here.
    Got large jar coffee,99p
    Spray detol Kitchen cleaner 99p
    Twin jars pasta sauce 99p for both making it 49.5 each
    10 foil trays with lids 99p
    I was well chuffed
    Have up dated my sig, and hoping for a nsd tomorrow
    HWGA
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thought I better update.

Spent £2.63 last night. I got on reduced to clear

2 X bags of salad
    2 X nets of citrus fruits
    3 X 4 quarter pounders (25p per 4 88% beef :eek:)
    1 X quorn packaged meat
    1 X fruit salad
    1 X bag of pears

And some extra some sweets for husband and they cost 65p!!!!!!!!!!!

Told a big fat lie to husband told him we have £5.50 for next 3 weeks :rotfl: what he does not know is that is £55.50 but wanted to see if we could get by on the £5.50.

He said jokingly that the cupboards where bare. He opened the larder. And I swore at him and said there are 3 shelves groaning under the weight in the larder. Another back up shelf in my tall kitchen cabinet. A chest freezer full of food and fridge freezer full of food.

He then just laughed knowing that we could manage.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Popped into Asda last night to grab some bits for packed lunches for me (sandwiches are provided but nearly everyone is taking crisps & a piece of fruit in with them :rotfl: ) and spent £11.81, but that included toiletries and without a list :o

GC - 49.85/60:eek:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure