Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. - Page 49

New Post Advanced Search

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 114.6K views

Replies

• kipperskippers Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    philsmum wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Have not posted much the last few days. If you remember in July my BIL died, well on Thursday I got a call to say that my brother had been admitted to hospital, and at 5pm on Friday he peacefully passed away. Not been a good year.:cry: Thanks AngelNikki and Mrs Mac for all you do:A

Hope everyone has a good month.

Pat

Just wanted to say i'm thinking of you
    :j :j :j :j :j
  • Evening All

(((Philsmum)))

Had a tesco shop delivered this morning, mainly packed lunch stuff which will keep us going 2 - 3 weeks. Came to £83.24 which I am pleased with.

DD goes back tomorrow then DS on wednesday - thats when I can really get back to budgeting.

Have been out most of the day so didnt get to make bread in the bm so had to pop down the shop for a loaf.

Just off to update my sig.
    x
  • Hello all,

I'm loving doing this challenge! Of course this is my first ever challenge and only my day 3, so very early days, but i'm finding that reading all your posts is really inspiring me to be creative with the food in my cupboards. Yesterday I made some hummous and it was rather fantastic! had garlic, bit of cumin seeds, tahini, olive oil and bit of feta that was kicking around and some rocket. Tonight, I've just made some pesto out of more rocket, olive oil, some left over grated parmesan, the grated rind of 1/2 an already squeezed lemon and some toasted seeds (seeing as i'd spent a fortune on my omega 3 seeds I'm gonna darned well make the most of them!) - and it was fantastic! Both of these are staples in my diet, and both my rather ad hoc versions were much much much nicer than the shop bought and used up from bits and bobs knicking around the fridge. I am so so chuffed with myself! Oh and today was a NSD.

Thank you to you all for your inspiration! (I'm feeling all emotional again!):p
    MSE newbie!:j
    October Grocery Challenge - £120
    Want to be Mortgage Free - although the numbers are just too darned scary at the moment!:eek:
  • NS day for me today, but I feel as if I am cheating as I already have bits and bobs in!

One thing I am chuffed to little mint balls with is homemade laundry starch. I used to get through a couple of cans a month as it makes ironing so much easier, but thanks to OS I russled some up, (Tablespoon of cornflour and a couple of drops of essential oil then fill squirty bottle with water)which in the old days would have meant a trip to the shops...dangerous as then I spend money on carp!

Looking to see how I go for the rest of the month!

Winky x x x
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
  • vixtressvixtress Forumite
    1.2K posts
    hi everyone,

cant remember the last time i did a GC but after a ridiculously expensive, non MS summer, i am firmly back on the wagon :D

please put me down for £160, thats for 2 adults & 2 kids

vix x
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • hey all..

my first time doing this so im gonna try at 100 this month..thats for me and dh....

thats gonna be for all cleaning stuff and we have a puppy as well!!will start from 2mor and keep all bills etc..am looking forward to seeing whether i can actually do this

Quick question..what do ppl think think of iceland?was thinking of going there 2mor and buying like frozen meats etc...are they good prices?
    Learning to keep within budgets !

:money:
  • angelnikki wrote: »
    Dont worry about it OS ;) I only said about people posting loads cos 1 person had posted 11 times in the space of a couple of hours!! your posts are on topic. (this one isnt though) :D xx

sorry that was me,
    I do have a habit to talk al ot lol, I think my posts were on topic thou, sorry if they wasn't.
    Caz
    July 185.19/200/Aug=170.25//200//sept=81.24/200. 2adults,3 kids + 2 dogs.
    my home page=3.45.Sealed challenge pot=NO-276.
    BOGOF's=16.94/whoopsi=13.12/vouchers=7.70/Wilko's saving stamp 24 pounds/2 pound pot ?count 1/12/08
    Daily Clicks=27.96
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening all

I have had to put the BM on again as I forgot to put my seeds and walnuts in asnd I dont like plain bread any more ,,I have been spoiled
    Winky, The House Elf
    NS day for me today, but I feel as if I am cheating as I already have bits and bobs in!

One thing I am chuffed to little mint balls with is homemade laundry starch. I used to get through a couple of cans a month as it makes ironing so much easier, but thanks to OS I russled some up, (Tablespoon of cornflour and a couple of drops of essential oil then fill squirty bottle with water)which in the old days would have meant a trip to the shops...dangerous as then I spend money on carp!

Looking to see how I go for the rest of the month!

Winky x x x
    Winky [strike]what the mint balls [/strike] I didnt know you could make laundry starch I may try that as it sounds good ,,very good it may make me want to do the ironing

just off to update my siggie as we have been to MrTs for a prescription again,, and had to get some fruit as well as DH could not say no to anything ..I do try not to take him but he does insist

I may sneek out next time

see you later

Ann xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back from Asda, I kept my promise to myself and only bought milk and rolls for tmrw. Now for a little rant.
    I used to spend fortunes in Asda, was in just about every three days or more, this was where I done most if not all of my shopping. I now, due to their pennypinching sour faced ways, only go there in an emergancy. Tonight I was going to buy some soft brown sugar as well as my aforementioned purchases, as I wanted to make an apple and blackberry crumble. I had a £1.00 coupon I wanted to use. What a fuss this caused! I have to be honest no-one was unpleasant or rude but 3 assistants checked wether I could use it before telling me I couldn't. Thats it never will I darken their doorstep again.
    Rant over, thanks for listening.
    Spent £1.23, found a pound in the street on the way there. :o
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • Congratulations Girl least likely to!

so sorry to hear about your loss pat ((((((((to your family)))))))

thank you everyone, it was a great day.

so nsd today, and first day at new job, took a lovely big salad and some snacks so i wouldn't even be tempted to go and buy anything. luckily theres not much within walking distance and no canteen, but there is a gym, FREE, so i'll be making use of the facilities, saves having to join a regular one!

take care

ioiwe x x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)