MMD: Should you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

Options

Comments

• angie_baby
    angie_baby Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At those ages i def take the kids out of school for a holiday
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tell yer what.... you probably saved more than £100 on the holiday price because you did it outside the school holiday period!
    Probably was worth it !!!
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Took a year to get round to it (pressure of work...). Reply to Mumbleman: I teach children. I presume you teach pedantry?:rolleyes: Point taken on proof reading. My original assertion still stands, however.
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    Most definitely, until someone brings in a law to stop the holiday firms/travel agents/airlines increasing their prices in the school holidays. If prices remain static throughout the year, then there would not be a need to take kids out of school for holidays.
    :mad:

Thing is they don't increase their prices during school holidays, they increase their prices at times of high demand. That is legitimate. Do you think you'd pay the same for an easter egg a week before easter as you would a week after??? Want to take a guess at why it might be cheaper after??? Same as the price of cut flowers increases around valentines day and mothers day. Because there is a finite supply of flowers, and the more people want them the more can be charged. It is basic economics.

It isn't just holiday times either, if you want a short break to paris say, then flying out on a tuesday and returning on thursday will get you cheaper seats than flying out on friday and returning sunday. Reason - more people work monday to friday and want to go away without having to take too much time off.

Night flights are normally cheaper than day ones due to demand too. And certain resorts will buch usual trend. Egypt for example (luxor/cairo rather than the red sea) is cheaper in July and August as it is so hot and most sightseers prefer to go earlier or later when the weather is more pleasent. New York is most expensive around christmas rather than in high summer.

Forget the persecution complex parents and remember that you chose to produce the little darlings!!!

Oh and I'll continue to plan my holidays outside the school breaks because of course parents have the monoploy on time off during these periods....
  • minxtress
    Options
    I have always taken my children out of school during term time for holidays.
    1. I am a travel agent and can't take time off during peak season.
    2. I see so many cheap deals while kids are at school id be a fool not to.
    3. I have always done it and my eldest son has just left school with 4a* 4a's and 3 b's so obviously done him no harm whatsoever.
    4. My middle childs school decided they would add a week before the school hols and a week after as extra hols as the new building wasn't ready for opening yet.....if they can add extra holidays and not think it jeopordises the education then Im sure I can take extra hols with the same idea.
  • minxtress
    Options
    Jambala wrote: »
    Blimey!

Is this the only week you've taken him out of school for? Is his attendance otherwise good?

Your a fool for telling them if you had any idea this would happen, they can't do a thing if you ring up and say my child has tummy ache and wont be in school...simple as!
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    We usually book our holiday to begin about a week before the schools break up ~ 3rd week in June. If we're going somewhere hot, then it's usually cooler then, and if somewhere colder, then we beat the crowds!
    Whichever way you look at it The kids do b@gger all in the last week except watch DVDs, play games and do puzzles or drawing in class. I've never had a problem with the schools about this.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • sparkysi
    Options
    I personally wouldnt take my kids out of school for a week or more. I would do a long weekend but have to be careful these days as my boy is at an age where its important for him to be there.

We just had a great week away in cornwall during holiday time, cost me twice as much but I would rather that than go in the first few weeks of september.

Takes more planning and a load more saving though, but I have gotten a lot better at that since my bankruptcy, no credit cards here LOL.

I think this is more of a needs must question. If you want to be able to take a holiday with the kids but you havent got a pot to urinate in, then term time is your only option.

Ho Hum, anything to do with kids is always so emotive.

My current issue is my wife is going back to work and now I need to find someone who can get my kids to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. Nightmare.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Do you think taking your children on holiday when they are supposed to be at school is good training for the world of work when they can't swan off whenever they want to?

Some people in work have no choice. I think if there is no other way to have a family holiday, then fine, it is permissible to take your children out, but not otherwise. Go camping instead of stay in a hotel, you'll still have a holiday.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • musicmaker29
    Options
    It depends on the age of the child - I personally think that a week away bonding with your family and making other friends is good for a child, but obviously if GCSEs are looming then don't go.

the amount of pressure on children these days is ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure