Separate GROCERY board?

I would like to suggest having a separate board purely for groceries... what does anyone else think?
TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    i d second this its where alot of a familys budget goes so if it makes it easier for new people to find it s a good idea x
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • I thought that was what the monthly grocery challenge was for? or am I just being thick? What do you actually mean by just groceries as if that was all you were posting, I would just stick to the GC
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Sounds good in theory, but a bit 'clinical' :confused:

I have missed a fair few people who were posting on the Grocery Challenge threads earlier in the year & guess they would prefer the pure aspect of listing only the grocery bargains. But personally speaking, I have learned so much from the 'randomness' of the thread that far outweighs the sheer volumn of posts, that has had a hugely beneficial impact on the purse strings.

I suppose it comes down to opinion & whether you call a garden impliment a spade or a shovel.....they both do the same job but in a different way.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• oliveoyl
    oliveoyl Posts: 3,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I don't mean instead of the Grocery Challenge... I only posted in there because it seemed an appropriate place to mention it.

I mean having another board like 'Shop But Don't Drop' and 'Grabbit' but purely for groceries... so instead of having to trawl through the Agent Provocateur Knickers, Orange Sim Cards, Bouncy Castles etc. you'll be able to see at a glance Cravendale Milk 2ltr £1 in Asda, Julian Graves Half Price Sale Instore Now etc.
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
  • oliveoyl wrote: »
    I don't mean instead of the Grocery Challenge... I only posted in there because it seemed an appropriate place to mention it.

I mean having another board like 'Shop But Don't Drop' and 'Grabbit' but purely for groceries... so instead of having to trawl through the Agent Provocateur Knickers, Orange Sim Cards, Bouncy Castles etc. you'll be able to see at a glance Cravendale Milk 2ltr £1 in Asda, Julian Graves Half Price Sale Instore Now etc.

Ahh, I get it more now - that would be a good idea. We do that on the GC but it would be good for people not on that though - checking on specials like the Mr M (sorry, morrisons) 50p deals and that so yea, good idea. :D
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I agree with BigmummaF and also think that it would be too confusing why not just keep the GC thread and only read the posts that are interresting to you, just as we do on all threads :beer:
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • oliveoyl
    Because the GC thread doesn't mention anywhere near all the offers/deals/misprices/reductions etc. that there are available, also, as it's one long thread, you'd have to read it all to know what was on offer, whereas if there was a separate board, you'd just be able to look at the thread title to see what was on offer... the same as you do now in the Shop But Don't Drop and Grabbit boards.
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    i think you s are getting confused ,you s are on about 1 thread (grocery challenge)oliveoyl is on about a full board .At the moment grocery challenge is on os board (where you ll find alot more threads about bargins etc.)
    She s on about changing it to a board about grocerys .The grocery challenge won t change but will be easier to find and so will other threads about grocery s.
    HTH
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • oliveoyl
    Nearly... but no change to Old Style at all, I'm suggesting just another board in the Bargain Buys, Sassy Shopping etc. bit... so instead of posting a thread about Tesco's 2p noodles in Shop But Don't Drop or Grabbit, you'd post it in *insert name of new grocery board*

I'm not explaining myself very well am I lol?
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

• oliveoyl wrote: »
    Nearly... but no change to Old Style at all, I'm suggesting just another board in the Bargain Buys, Sassy Shopping etc. bit... so instead of posting a thread about Tesco's 2p noodles in Shop But Don't Drop or Grabbit, you'd post it in *insert name of new grocery board*

I'm not explaining myself very well am I lol?

You are honey, I think we are all people from the GC who tend to love it and want to protect it, so I think this is what you mean, correct me if I'm wrong.
    • At the moment, there are threads on the Bargain Buys, Sassy Shopping boards like shop but don't drop, grabbit etc... but these have ALL bargains from everything from french knickers (don't ask me why I picked them, coz I don't know :D ) to mobile phones, and grocery deals, like the Morrisons 50p offers just get lost on there
    • On the grocery challenge, it is exactly that, we want to beat our budget and although we tell each other about special offers and stuff, we also tell each other about how our day has gone, how our shopping challenge is going, etc, and these offers can get lost in there (I know I sometimes have trouble keeping up, so new people would be lost).
    • The new thread would be strictly grocery offers, no chat, just offers, and I presume we would post an offer if we found it, which would then be added to the first post on the thread, and taken off if it expires, so then all grocery offers, be it 5p off a loaf of bread or BOGOF of toilet rolls will be on it.
    As I said, that is my opinion of how it will work and I think a good thing to run alongside the GC, so we can all look up offers quick before going shopping - quick question here - will you split into stores, ie: offers in Mr T, Mr M, Mr A, ect? HLH
    Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing