🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Add E-Mail Addresses to Outlook Express

Options

Comments

• fayraz
    fayraz Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    You lot out there continue to amaze me with the help you offer - many thanks to you all.

I posed the question to Microsoft, and it turns out that there is no way that I could have upgraded Outlook '97 to 2003 without purchasing. They also state that there is no way that I could have made Outlook '97 my default e-mail.

So, as the whole box set of Office 2003 was not much more than just purchasing Outlook 2003, I went for the full works.

However ... I installed this as an upgrade, and it has wiped out my Access '97, and ... you guessed it ... Access 2003 is not in the box set!!! Now there's a surprise. Don't use Access very often, but I do need to use it, and soon.

Does anyone know:

a) How do I make the new Outlook 2003 my default e-mail (in very easy to understand terms please). It may already be the default, but I have not received any e-mails yet to test it out.

2) If I were to try to reinstall Access '97 from my old disk, would this in any way mess up my Word/Excel/Outlook/Powerpoint 2003 version?
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    IN MICROSOFT OUTLOOK:
    1. Go to "Tools" > "Options" and click the "Other" tab.

2. In the "General" section, check the box next to "Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar."

3. Click "OK."

4. Close all your open mail client windows (both Outlook and any other mail clients you may be using). When you next open Outlook, it will offer the option for you to set it as your default mail client.

IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS:
    1. Go to "Tools" > "Options" and click the "General" tab.

2. In the "Default Messaging Programs" section, click the "Make Default" button next to "This application is the default Mail handler."

3. Click "OK."

4. Outlook Express should now be your default mail client.
  • fayraz
    fayraz Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To make Outlook 2003 your default client;

Go to the Tools menu and select Options
    Click on the Other tab and the second option under General will say "Make outlook the default....." tick that box.

Installing Access 97 next to your Office 2003 services should not interfere with anything.

Oops! started writing it at the same time! :)
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Loobeylou wrote:
    a) How do I make the new Outlook 2003 my default e-mail (in very easy to understand terms please). It may already be the default, but I have not received any e-mails yet to test it out.

Okay the easiest way is to open Internet explorer and go to tools, internet options, programs, and check that outlook is selected under email. However, that wont necessarily allow you to receive emails, you need to open outlook and check whether it has your email account listed. (tools, email accounts, veiw or change email accounts, click next). If it is then all well and good if not follow the instructions I gave in an earlier post.
    "find the information for each of the accounts. Once you have that open outlook and goto tools, email accounts, view or change exsisting email accounts, add, pop3, fill in the information (username is usually your email address), then click the test account button (bottom right)"
    2) If I were to try to reinstall Access '97 from my old disk, would this in any way mess up my Word/Excel/Outlook/Powerpoint 2003 version?

It wont affect the other programs as the worst it will do is say you cant install it as you have a newer version of office installed (this would be my bet having never tried it myself).
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    Right then, I just tried sending an e-mail from my Outlook 2003, but it did not come back in. I opened up Outlook Express where the e-mail was waiting form me!

Where now? What little change do I need to make Outlook the default for incoming mail?
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Options
    Did you have OE shut down whilst Outlook was open as you want to delete
    accounts from OE so they dont go to OE before Outlook, bear in mind you
    could have OE checking for email more frequently then Outlook.

OE = Outlook Express :beer:
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    Outlook Express was shut down whilst Outlook 2003 was open.

Have found the part where you can alter the setting of how often Outlook Express checks for mail, and have set it to the maximum possible.

However, I would like to check the same setting in Outlook 2003 and not sure where it is.

How do I "delete accounts from OE so they dont go to OE before Outlook"?

Should I delete/uninstall Outlook Express?

Sorry to be such a dunce about all of this!
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Options
    Open OE Tools, Options, General Tab, Now alter the time in there.

Open OE Tools Accounts Mail Tab, Remove accounts in there.

Do not Uninstall OE, Leave it there with no accounts in there will suffice
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    Right, have done all of that - thanks again.

Now I need to create the two extra new e-mail addresses, which I already have set up with my ISP - three in all.

I also seem to have a problem with a box coming up which states "enter network password". It has not come up previous to my installing Office 2003. It has three boxes which state "server" "user name" and password. It states "please type your user name and password. The server name and the user name are already in the boxes but it does not seem to recognise the password I put in. It then comes up with a second box which states "outlook send/receive progress" - "your e-mail server rejected your login" and tells me to go to tools and e-mail accounts. (I am putting in the password I have with my ISP, which is what I presume they are wanting, but it does not recognise it.)

I do not feel that I can set up two new e-mail accounts until I have got this last problem sorted.

Gosh, I find all this sooooooooooo confusing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport