Cheap car hire article discussion

1818283848587»

Replies

• accorianaccorian Forumite
    97 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Thanks for the heads-up, RFB-2.

The       Hertz £1 scheme is, as you pointed out, aimed at one-way only customers -- it's basically a way of Hertz saving on labour costs in shifting cars from one rental location  to another according to demand.

The scheme is identical to that in the USA and, just like its American counterpart, is OK if (let's say) you have a burning desire to drive from Accrington to Penzance -- always assuming the type of car which Hertz Penzance needs is surplus to the Accrington Hertz rental fleet.

No wonder, as Hertz says, there are no cars available at the moment for this kind of hiring. Nor is there any 'stock shift' list available: Dollar used to maintain an updated list for this type of rental in the States, but that's quite awhile ago now.
  • SHEILA54SHEILA54 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I am trying to hire aa automatic car in Milan next May / June for my daughter.  The prices from the weekend to today have gone up by about 40%.  Is there a reason for this or do you think that it is likely that they will settle down?  I have used all 4 sites suggested in the forum

Thanks
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at those (unstated) weekend dates to see if any event taking place which might be pushing the rental rates up?

That aside, I wonder if Italy is having the same issue as other countries in that car rental firms reduced their fleets during the worst of the pandemic and travel downturn, and now can not find or buy sufficient new vehicles.  Demand likely to outstrip demand in many areas.
  • onashoestringonashoestring Forumite
    806 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    CNN reported on this situation in Europe and described it as “Carmageddon “

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/europe-car-rental-carmageddon-cmd/index.html
  • accorianaccorian Forumite
    97 Posts
    CNN reported on this situation in Europe and described it as “Carmageddon “

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/europe-car-rental-carmageddon-cmd/index.html
    CN was actually reporting on the state of play -- as it found it -- in July this year. By late Spring / early summer of 2022, the market should've settled down and the kind of prices CN quoted dropped considerably, so it's as well not to make a booking too far in advance: car rental outfits know they're dealing with a price-sensitive audience, and the last thing they want to do is lose actual paying customers after the pandemic blight of no customers at all.

• edited 20 November at 2:37PM
    accorianaccorian Forumite
    97 Posts
    edited 20 November at 2:37PM
    SHEILA54 said:
    I am trying to hire aa automatic car in Milan next May / June for my daughter.  The prices from the weekend to today have gone up by about 40%.  Is there a reason for this or do you think that it is likely that they will settle down?  I have used all 4 sites suggested in the forum

Thanks
    Not sure if this will be of any help, but it's worth giving it a go because your query will be read by people including many who know Milan and some who could well be living in Milan and aware of the situation:

We're longtime members of T/A and in the past have posted on the forum board for whichever particular destination we've been planning on visiting and asked questions including if anyone can recommend a reliable respectable local car hire firm ( it's often the case that a smaller operator can undercut the broker prices for big fleet opeators.) One small town we went to in Italy some years ago had no coverage from major renters but the local undertaker had a fleet of immaculate motors, one of which he was happy to hire out to us.

By asking on the T/A Milan forum you might also be able to clarify what if anything is happening in Milan that might've caused the spike you've witnessed in car rental costs.