Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• bartman100
    Options
    If you take out the seperate insurance or their SMART insurance do you still have to pay the excess deposit on a credit card, my friend says he gave them a credit card with £1 available and they accepted it? not really sure how this works do not want to get to car hire company and get stung for things i dont need.
    Thanks in advance
  • ssmi
    ssmi Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    ASSJ wrote: »
    Just booked 16 day car hire for 89 euro about £65 full-full with Centauro. Used this company lots over the last 11 years with no problems. Also use Questor for my car hire excess insurance with no problems.:)

Hi ASSJ

Did centauro query the questor policy/try to force you to take their insurance? Did they take a huge deposit on your credit card instead? I'm so fed up of unpleasant/bullying exchanges at car hire offices :)
  • Citizzzen
    Options
    I bought my car at auction 1bid1. com/search?category=1 If i need somewhere to go - i using my cheap car. Im not afraid to make it dirty or so - it is still worth a penny, and i do not need to pay to the tenants , and then, God forbid, to deal with the problems
  • Rhiananders
    Options
    Direct Car Hire Excess Insurance

Would just like to give this company a big shout-out and hope it will help everyone. We had 2 accidents in our hire car on holiday recently in Cyprus. No quibbles, we paid for the repairs and the 'deposit' required by Europcar doesn't seem to have been debited to my credit card. I duly submitted a claim to Direct via email late on Friday 25th Sept and find full settlement has already been credited to my bank account on Monday 28th. Highly delighted and most unexpected. Thoroughly recommend this company.
  • Murielson
    Options
    Car Hire Glasgow Airport

Heading to Scotland 3-7 Oct 2015 and wondered if anyone had recommendations for hire car from Glasgow International Airport?

Plenty of decent quotes around via comparison sites but just wondered about first hand experience. The wife and I wish to drive around, see some sites, lochs etc which we have done before so ideally crossover or similar with high driving position (no off road, weather shouldn't be too bad I hope, compact and above as minimum). Also doesn't seem the easiest to state preference for diesel fuel in comparison search criteria unless I have been missing something.

Recommendations appreciated and thanks in advance for and feedback. Excess insurance etc already bought to cover period.
  • Property_Investor
    Options
    For those that go to the popular car hire sites directly to check out prices, install 'Car Hire Aid' from chrome's web store

Link: chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/car-hire-aid/ckfngcdbmmdpgndomajiolbejibbmahi

It fills in the forms for you so you don't have to fill in the criteria over and over again.
  • robboman99
    Options
    Why when booking a car hire with a full full fuel policy am I finding they have charged me 34 euros for something, no reason given, despite me returning the vehicle full.
    Surely this is simply a money making scam ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robboman99 wrote: »
    Why when booking a car hire with a full full fuel policy am I finding they have charged me 34 euros for something, no reason given, despite me returning the vehicle full.
    Surely this is simply a money making scam ?
    If there's no reason given are you sure it is related to the fuel? Sounds like you need to clarify it with the hire firm and dispute it if necessary.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • geeooff
    geeooff Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    "Why when booking a car hire with a full full fuel policy am I finding they have charged me 34 euros for something, no reason given, despite me returning the vehicle full. Surely this is simply a money making scam?"

I always take lots of photos inside & out when leaving any car, but have never protected myself from that problem

Seems 'Take a photo of the fuel gauge' could be added to moneysavingexpert's car hire suggestion list.
  • yrogerg
    Options
    Tried to book a car for Cape Town via "cardelmar". They found what I wanted at "KONTAKT".
    Following Martin's advice I e-mailed KONTAKT to ask if they would accept my own world wide excess insurance policy.
    Got an instant reply-"your contract is deleted". Beware!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback