Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• thebigbosh
    thebigbosh Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mochynmawr wrote: »
    I hired a car from Hertz during my visit to australia, all fine etc on returning it . I have now been charged 30 odd australian dollars on my credit card a month after I returned the car and on returning to the UK. No indication at all about what this charge was for. Does anybody else have similar exparience also any advice on what to do would be appreciated

I would contact your credit card company and dispute the charges- state that although you hired the car, you returned it fine and I'm assuming with a full tank of petrol as well; you haven't received any communication from them or additional invoice and this is a worry charge. They should reverse it and dispute with the company.

I had a similar experience in Brazil in 2007 - I'd hired a car and my company were paying for it. I'd managed to scratch it in an underground car park and when I returned they agreed to send my company the bill. Instead, they charged my UK Amex and didn't send any bill. I disputed and Amex gave me the money back and went after the company for an invoice, which I'm assuming due to language breakdown never appeared... :beer:
    School is important, but Rugby is importanter.
  • masplin
    masplin Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I've just hired a salesman in Nottingham and look at alternatives ot provide a company car. We are a start-up company so reluctant to take out a long lease and wondered if long term rental might be worth considering given the flexibilty. We would hire for a minimum intial 6 months with 2,000 miles a month. Does anyone have any suggestions of woh is competative for this type ofthing as see many ofthe big firms offer this?

Thanks for any advice

Mike
  • Whitewash1970
    Options
    Hi,

I'm looking at hiring a car for a couple of days during a week in LA.

I've done all the research and am happy with the Hertz deal offered (in terms of cost/location etc).

My one concern is over cover. I've read up on the CDW, LIS, PAI, and PEC and the one thing that I can not see mentioned is my legal fees if someone sues as a result of an accident.

Does anyone know if these are included in those mentioned above or is this something that I would need to add to the policy, and if so, what would the costs be?

Many thanks
  • woodencupboard
    Options
    masplin wrote: »
    I've just hired a salesman in Nottingham and look at alternatives ot provide a company car. We are a start-up company so reluctant to take out a long lease and wondered if long term rental might be worth considering given the flexibilty. We would hire for a minimum intial 6 months with 2,000 miles a month. Does anyone have any suggestions of woh is competative for this type ofthing as see many ofthe big firms offer this?

Thanks for any advice

Mike

Really late to the party my old company based in Nottingham hired a load of vans on long term contracts from these people:

http://www.northgatevehiclehire.co.uk/

I think they've changed names now though, don't remember it being Northgate 3 years ago, might've been though
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • Gracchus
    Options
    I just wanted to warn users against payless.com/Dooleys car rentals. I found them through moneysupermarket.com when looking to hire a car for five days picking up at Shannon airport. I received a quote of 85 euros for the rental online but on arrival I was faced with bill of 281.75 euros. None of the charges were consistent with the quote I had received.

The bulk of the additional payment was for insurance I had to buy because the quote I had been given included no insurance at all. Needless to say it had not been clear that the quote was given on this basis despite this being of fundamental importance.

To cap it off I was charged 85 euros for a tank of fuel which was then refunded when I returned it full at at the end of the rental. However 'transaction charges' were levied for both the original payment and the refund along with the usual rinsing for currency conversion.

I would strongly encourage others to avoid using payless.com/Dooleys. In my view they are untrustworthy and if you use them you could end up paying anything.
  • lilyallen2012
    Options
    We have friends that are travelling to New York on 28th July for 2 weeks. They haven't yet booked their car hire in USA.
    Any help/advice from you lovely people would be greatly received.
  • kalaika
    kalaika Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anyone that has used www.fifteen02.com recently? I see they appear as recommended occassionally on these forums but can't find out much about them.

I know people that have used Fifteen02 in the past and am thinking of booking a car as their prices are good, but am just trying to find some up to date info on them. Reviews and other mentions of them online give quite good reviews, but it is all from 2011 and before, so just trying to find some more recent info and see if they are still recommended

Has anyone else booked with them recently?
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)
  • lilyallen2012
    Options
    Thanks all for the good advice. . I have contacted with HBC car rental. Appalling customer service from HBC car hiring company. They met my all needs. Thanks.
  • Jever
    Jever Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    We used a comparison site to search for cheap care hire in the Algarve, Portugal and were really chuffed when we booked a Renault Megane for 1 week, with one additional driver, to pick up from Faro airport for £140. We are always very careful at reading the small print, so we were suprised when new smallprint appeared on the confirmation email AFTER we had paid for the car hire. This new small print said there was a compulsary 100 Euro payment to be made on collection of the car, which is non refundable. We were really annoyed by this because there was no way we were going to use a full tank and a full tank does not cost 100 Euro. :mad:
    Anyway, we got to the airport in Faro, paid the 100 Euro and were then told that we would have to pay another 40 Euro for the additional driver. Apparently, when you put 'additional driver' on before you pay, it just requests one. Ridiculous. The damage excess waiver was going to be another 100 Euro, which we didn't want to pay.
    We also had to put a 2500 Euro damage deposit on our credit card and the car had no breakdown cover, unless we wanted to pay another 200 Euro. The whole thing was a nightmare-there were loads of furious people around and the staff that were looking after us didn't even work for Drive4Less, they were from Geurin.
    We checked the car over really carefully with the Geurin staff for existing scratches etc, then spent the whole week worrying about the car, praying it wouldn't get more scratches or dents and we would lose our 2500 Euro deposit!
    Anyway, we will never be using Drive4Less again. We often hire cars in the UK and abroad and this was by far the worst experience we have had. Drive4Less may seem cheap at first but then they add all the extras and it ends up very expensive! I will be sticking to companys I know from now on-we have never had trouble with Avis or Europcar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback