Should the whole family forfeit the holiday?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should the whole family forfeit the holiday?

You book a long-awaited family holiday for four to Disneyland for £2,500 but the day before travelling you realise your eight year-old daughter's passport expired two months previously. There's no way it can be renewed in time and your insurance won't cover the mistake. Yet the other 10 year old child has always wanted to go to Disney. Do you forfeit the holiday entirely or does one parent & child still go while the others stay behind?
Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?
Would you keep the dropped lottery winning ticket?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Goodness this happened to someone I know! They all waited until the passport was sorted and flew out later on all together (and had to pay again!)

I would have the whole family to forefit it

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rather coincidentally, the exact same scenario was posted on here only 2 days ago.

The thread already has many responses which are worth reading.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1087733

FWIW I would say that those who can go, should go. If it was possible to palm off the passport-less child on a grandparent or auntie, that would be great; if not then one parent should go and the other stay.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ah how cruel would tht be , sorry "clare" substitute for any girls name. you cant come to disneyland like the rest of us because mommy and daddy forgot your passport had expired but dont worry we are all going to go without you and have fun , and your gonna stay at home with nanny ..

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rather less cruel than making the other child miss their holiday for no reason?
  • If they can afford for the other parent and child to go later then one parent and child should go on the booked holiday and the other should go as soon as possible after her new passport arrives.
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Nope - we would all be gutted, but there's no way one child would be left behind, whilst others went off to enjoy themselves (runs next door to check kids passports!!). OMG, you'd have to be going some to do that to a child!!!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think thats the hardest one you've ever posted.
  • say the passport's been stolen and you are guaranteed a new one in time.
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    I would most likely contact the airline/agent and try to delay the holiday an extra day or so, even if it means paying date changing fees, then visit the passport office in person for an emergency issue.
    If this wasn't possible, I would "sell" the holiday to other family members or friends then rebook for a later date.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would give the 8 year old the keys to the house and tell her to wait until we get back. Is that Illegal???? :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure