PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

freezing apples

Options

Comments

• demented_2
    Options
    susank wrote: »
    i never measure it but use my washing up bowl and just some salt - maybe a desertspoonful and swish it round then cut the apples into it. I have never used lemon and never had a problem with the salt either, good luck
    I have that problem as well the apples going brown when i use lemon juice. I will also try salt, just out of interest, does the salt affect the taste of the apples in apple pie for example? Thank you.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • demented_2
    Options
    Well i tried the salt method and so far it seems to be working no browning. I have just put the sliced apples into the dehydrator and they seem to be staying a white colour. Still don't know about the salt affecting the taste of the apples though.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've merged this with the freezing apples thread :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• scottishminnie
    Options
    Looking for some advice - I have an apple tree which has been providing apples for the last month or so and now there are around 30 left I think. I've made many apple puddings etc along the way and have used what we could and frozen a few apple tarts.
    Now I'm at the stage I'd like to do something else with them. Can I freeze them? and how do i stop them goinf brown?

I did experiment by putting some in a wooden crate in the garage when we were on holiday for a few weeks but they went soft and a couple rotted so I'd rather have them frozen then I know they are ok.

I'll have to be better organised next year!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I would stew them and freeze in containers in freezer.
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    cheers - that certainly seemed the easiest option. I just wasn't sure if I could do it. That way I could use them for eve's pudding and various other desserts.

I also thought I would look for an apple sauce recipe, I have an old WRI recipe book which I've just remembered about. I'm sure it will have one.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • Mols
    Mols Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    When I run out of cooking ideas I clean, quarter and core them and put them in a bowl of lemon juice and water.

Then drain, put them in freezer bags and put them in the freezer. The lemon juice stops them turning brown and they keep very well and surprisingly firm like this for months.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi miinie,

As your thread has dropped down the board I've added it to the existing thread on freezing apples where you'll find more advice.

This thread may help too:

What To Do With Apples?

Pink
  • Birdy12
    Birdy12 Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel this is a stupid question but I've asked enough on MSE so far so here goes :o.

I have an apple tree in the garden which gives me an abundance of cooking apples each year, in fact too many. Friends take some off my hands, however, can I stew and freeze apples with the idea of taking an amount out each time I want to make an apple crumble, pie, muffins etc? And, does anyone know how long stewed apple lasts in the freezer for?

Cheers, Birdy
    It's wouldn't have not wouldn't of, shouldn't have not shouldn't of and couldn't have not couldn't of. Geddit?
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they freeze perfectly. I do this when I have a glut of apples, rhubarb etc - just stew tham as you would for a crumble, and then freeze in poly bags till you need them. They will last at least 6 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport