PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

freezing apples

Options
I have been given a bagful of apples and would like to freeze some. I know I can stew them for pies/crumbles etc. But before I cook them all was just wondering if i can freeze them as they are, would they be ok to eat when defroseted?

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I got 3 bags of reduced bramley apples yest and want to freeze them for use in pies, crumbles and apple sauce. Can I just peel and chop or do I need to cook them first? If its poss I'd rather do it raw as gives me more options later.

Thanks
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I peel, core and chop and give them a quick dip in water containing lime or lemon juice just to stop them going brown then pack them in bags and write the weight on the bag.
    I've kept them like this for 6-8 months with no problems
  • carolinejane_2
    carolinejane_2 Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    Options
    never occured to me I could freeze apples, I do like to make my own apple sauce to go with pork but have to remember to get an apple in and I'm not good at meal planning in advance! so I could buy a few and freeze in portions and just get out of freezer when I need it :)
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    putting your apples into salt water also stops them browning, if you have no juice. I always use salty water & you can't taste the salt when you use the apples.
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't care if my apples go brown! I usually add brown sugar to them anyway, so nobody could know if the apples were brown from the sugar or from being exposed to the air...
    Don't forget to open freeze your sliced apples if you want to be able to unfreeze just the amount you want each time.
  • PollyFlinders_3
    Options
    I had no idea you could freeze apples uncooked. Have always pureed them before, but will never do so again, now I have seen the light!! Thanks floyd!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Rach

i've merged this with a previous thread on freezing apples

good luck
    zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Cheeselady
    Options
    We have loads of Bramley apples from the tree in our garden, and I had read on here about freezing them. I put lemon juice in the water as suggested on here, but they still went a bit brown, I bagged them up anyway and they are now in the freezer frozen, but a bit brown. :o Don't know where I went wrong, maybe not enough lemon? Do you think they will be OK to defrost and use in cakes, and if so, how long would they be OK to leave in the freezer? Thanks

I still have quite a few more in the fridge, and also lots still on the fridge, so would appreciate any advice on where I went wrong.
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2010 at 4:59PM
    Options
    They will be fine to use and I have kept apples for a year! - I slice mine into a huge bowl of water with some salt added and make sure they plop into the water and get coated then drain them just with my hands = they dont go brown then I bag them and just freeze them ok.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Cheeselady
    Options
    susank wrote: »
    They will be fine to use and I have kept apples for a year! - I slice mine into a huge bowl of water with some salt added and make sure they plop into the water and get coated then drain them just with my hands = they dont go brown then I bag them and just freeze them ok.

Thanks for that, that's exactly what I did, but with lemon in the water, and they still went brown. I put juice of half a lemon into the bowl, it's quite a large bowl though, the one I use for baking. How much salt do you put in the water?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure