Halifax Home Insurance problem - please help

Options
Hello

I took out a home contents insurance policy with Halifax on 28th July, having up to now had over 5 years no claims. When I took out the policy I specifically asked (twice) if camping equipment was covered while we were away, as we do a lot of camping and this was the primary reason I needed new cover. The sales woman went to ask a manager and came back to confirm that camping equipment was indeed covered.

I went camping later that same day and on 1 August I managed to set fire to my tent whilst cooking. The damage wasn't extensive but it did burn a fairly large hole in the window. We returned home later that same day and I immediately rang Halifax to put in a claim.

I spoke to someone in claims called Karen who informed me that I was not in fact covered, after speaking to one of her managers. I mentioned that the original sales call was recorded and suggested someone have a listen to that. She spoke to a manager again and informed me someone would listen to the call and I would receive a call within the next 48 hours. (currently Friday night) even though it was the weekend.

I waited until 4/8/08 and called them back again after receiving no communication whatsoever. I spoke to Kim who again said that I would not be covered and someone would call me back when the call had been listened to. She then called back 55 minutes later saying they had listened to the original sales call and I had been wrongly informed that the tent was covered but they would have to honour the claim, gave me a claim no and told me someone from claims would call me back within 48 hours on my mobile number.

We went away again that night and I awaited the call. It never came. Upon our return tonight, I opened a letter stating that we would NOT in fact be covered as it was an exclusion in their terms as detailed in their policy booklet (which incidentally we didn't receive until after the fire).

I rang them again and spoke to Martin, who said the letter was correct and they would not be covering the claim.

In a nutshell, I believe I was mis-sold the policy as they proved I had in fact requested cover for my tent before I accepted the policy. Lie number 1.

Lie number 2, stating they were going to process the claim and now backtracking on this.

I would like to know what course of redress I have here. I believe I have 30 days to cancel the policy under distance selling regulations, but if I do that I can't make the claim (according to their t & c). If I make the claim I can't cancel the policy.

How can I get them to honour the claim and cancel the policy. The policy is worthless if my camping equipment isn't covered. I feel now I should also claim expenses for my time and stress in dealing with this issue.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Hi there

Here's what you do:

Write a letter in response to the one you have just received, telling them exactly what you have said here. Tell them that you are not happy with the decision and either want them to overturn the claims decision, or send you a "final decision letter".

Tell them that as you were missold the policy, you want them to either endorse the policy to confirm that the exclusion of camping equipment does not appy and keep that in place until renewal in 2009, or a letter confirming that you may cancel the policy and receive a pro rata refund, regardless of the claim.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Aycle, reckon you've got them bang to rights on this so well done you for making a note of dates, times and names.

Let us know how you get on.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you make a formal complaint- address is at the back of the policy booklet detailing what you have said here I guarentee that you will be paid out. The complaints department maybe many things however they will always back a policy holder in a situation like this.
  • Truegrit_2
    Truegrit_2 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant! We now have Flamecloud, part of the Halifax insurance group, which has now got a 24hr helpline, does this mean if I have a Halifax client who has a fire, flood etc, can I contact you on a weekend to get them into alternative accomodation
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Halifax has neither an insurance group or a 24 hour helpline.
  • Truegrit_2
    Options
    Isn't it true that failed adjusters get employment within Halifax insurance, I think you're ex PCS
  • Truegrit_2
    Options
    Flamecloud, you made a guarantee that this policyholder would be paid out thread #4, if the payment is not made by the insurance company, will you cover the cost, having given sound advice which is normally made by a regulated body
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Truegrit, your posts on this thread have been reported. As far as I am aware, no "newbie" poster has the authority of a site host, so you have no right to declare this thread as closed.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
  • Assess_Saw
    Assess_Saw Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    It is true failed adjusters from millers pcs capita et al flocked there to get a blue shirt with halifax claims written on it and a tracking system in their cars to make sure they are on the job not skiving on the golf course:rotfl:
    As for the claim keep at them at the highest level they may cave in
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Assess Saw, I have reported your post. OP is asking for advice and you are using the forum to attack insurance companies rather than provide assistance. By all means start your own threads, but do not attempt to hijack other peoples posts.

Please apologise to OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport