We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flights to Australia

Options

Comments

• Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :j Sorry !!!!

NOT
    dont worry, come January, you'll have yours to come and mine will be over ( till 2007)
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lozkate wrote:
    Anyway fancy a BBQ and cricket on the beach Xmas Day?

Dare ya to wear a pair of meathangers.:D
    Don't forget the sunscreen. ;)
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• odowdchr
    odowdchr Posts: 800 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the tours was the only real way of getting gen-U-ine tickets

What makes you think that? You can buy them online from the ground or via an agency, like you can for football matches,or via Barmy Army.
    Melbourne CG will hold over 100,000 by next December, Sydney's not so big.
    It's important to have tickets if you're flying half way round the world though, i agree.
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're going to Sydney on Dec 9th this year, for 3 weeks.
    I used a company called OzTalk ( they have a website), who booked the seats as soon as they were released ( January this year), and told me they were able to 'reserve' the places prior to the actual 'release' date. ( but this could have been 'sales talk'!).
    Anyhow..i've been very pleased with their service..they booked us with Emirates, which is great for us, as, unusually, they fly from Gatwick, rather than Heathrow, which is much closer for us.
    If we'd booked for anydate after Dec 9th, the price would be much higher.
    I understand that the pressure for seats is actually for the return flight back to the uk, if you want to return just after new year (in time for the schools to go back). We've managed to delay this by a day ( kids miss first day at school), and this also reduces the cost too!
    Good luck!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have been contemplating a 'cricket watching' trip next winter and looked at the usual websites -BarmyArmy etc.

From what I gather it will be difficult to get seats for the Xmas and New Year tests in Melbourne & Sydney unless you get a package.

It seems a lot of people also intend going down-under as well for the same reason - this thread being a good example. I wonder if BA/Quantas might put on some extra flights; although over the holiday season their fleet is usually heavily committed.

Presumably it will be much cheaper to go and watch the first 3 tests and come back and watch Sky.
  • lozkate
    lozkate Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Further to previous link I have just spoken to Mercury Direct ( I rang yesterday afternoon & they said they would contact me after 4pm, I rang again at 6 and was told someone would be coming back to me & they were there until 10pm, I then rang again this morning & got straight through)

They are taking advanced bookings & will confirm flights etc when flights are realeased 11 mths before. They do not use Singapore Airlines & will only book whole packages & as we have decided that we want to go to Heron Island (feedback from previous posts) a place where they do not operate there, they cannot take a booking from us. They also said that there is no differece in prices if travelling 17 November - 31 December.

Hope this helps someone
    Kate
  • AndyCCC
    Options
    Different airlines have different advance booking periods. I had this problem booking to go this December. It seemed to be the flights home from Asia in the first few days of January that were all snapped up within a few days of release - the outbound flights on the 8th Dec (some airlines discounted until the 9th) weren't so hard to get seats for.

United were the very latest of the main airlines to release seats - I wasn't able to book 5/1/06 (my last leg home to UK from LAX after a stop at Disneyland) until 9/2/05, by which time it would have been near impossible to secure a decent cheap seat on any airline via Asia had the United option fallen through for any reason.

As far as I've seen there's often better availability on United and BA/Qantas home via the States for early Jan, if you can bear to deal with US immigration. It is the longer way round, and service on UA is pretty useless, but there's lots of opportunities for different routings/stopovers through the states.
  • shazrazmataz
    shazrazmataz Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Dont forget to pop in to see me when your in Adelaide ;):D
    Shaz xx
    Living & lovin' life 'down under'.
    There Comes A Point In Your Life When You Realise Who Matters, And Who Never Did, And Who Always Will. So Don't Worry About People In The Past There's A Reason Why They Didn't Make It Into Your Future............
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's the best offer so far!
  • shazrazmataz
    shazrazmataz Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    That's the best offer so far!

LOL....I'll have a stubby waiting for you !
    Shaz xx
    Living & lovin' life 'down under'.
    There Comes A Point In Your Life When You Realise Who Matters, And Who Never Did, And Who Always Will. So Don't Worry About People In The Past There's A Reason Why They Didn't Make It Into Your Future............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport