The great “how to save money when you’ve more than two kids” hunt

Comments

• burgers3
    burgers3 Posts: 21 Forumite
    janehma wrote: »
    We have 6 children & are always looking to save money!
    A big recommendation must go this year to Eurosportvac, a dutch camping firm that even undercuts Vacansoleil!! We had booked & paid for a holiday with them (2 tents side by side to accomodate our lot) but due to credit crunch etc can no longer afford the travel etc......Guess what, they have kindly agreed to 'hold' our holiday till next year at no extra cost! Hows that for service
    Also for extra pennies & beautiful books why not join me as an Usborne Children's book organiser, reduced joining costs at the mo! I love the books & my children have learned to be really careful when reading my stock books!

Hi jeneham

Do you have the web page for this firm "Eurosportvac" or a phone number :T
  • jfmkent
    jfmkent Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi, I Only Have 3 Children, But Yet Made To Feel Abnormal Being Outside 2.2 Mode, Anyway, Thanks For The 2pointmore Site Going Look For Next Year, As For The Water Rates, Each Water Authority Has To Have What They Call Vulnerable Tariff Scheme, Which Of Course Their Not Going To Go Out Of Their Way To Promote, However Phone Customer Services And Ask, In The Thames Area You Need 3+ Kids To Qualify Not Too Sure About Other Authorities, But Ask...at Last Having More That 2 Kids To Finacial Benefit....obviously Any Water Rate Saving Taken Up By Shoes, Clothes, Entertainment, Food And Other Non-essentails, But....
  • Haycorns_2
    Haycorns_2 Posts: 128 Forumite
    HalfPint wrote: »
    Bristol balloon festival is one of these, last year we bought parking in advance at £7, which enabled 8 of us to get in as my car seats 8. That works out at less that £1 each for a fantastic day and even more wonderful evening. It a fantastic event to go to and cheap too (as long as you take a picnic)

There has got to be more of these type of events....lets compile a list of them! :j

There's Airbourne - a free airshow on Eastbourne beach next weekend

http://www.eastbourneairshow.com/

You don't need to buy grandstand tickets - the view from the beach if fab.

Walkable from the train station.
  • I have four step-children, 7-11, and we find even when trying to do a cheap visit to relatives at the other end of the country (cheap flights) the car hire can be HORRENDOUS for a 7-seater.

This year a bit of research has shown AVIS with a 7-seater, airport pick up, for less than a Mondeo estate - so worth hunting around. I was searching for a 5-seater, so maybe that's the trick - search for a 7-seater and they max the cost, pretend you want something smaller but are persuaded to upgrade and it's cheaper?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    burgers3 wrote: »
    Hi jeneham

Do you have the web page for this firm "Eurosportvac" or a phone number :T
    http://www.eurosporvac.nl/

the site is in dutch tho'.....
  • Savvysal
    Savvysal Posts: 24 Forumite
    aplegjnf wrote: »
    Has English Heritage membership been mentioned? For £62 a year for joint adults, upto 12 children can go into an attraction for free. Each adult membership at English Heritage lets 6 under 19s in too. They don't have to be a part of the family, we have often taken our children's friends with us. Sometimes there are additional costs if a place is having a re-enactment, but usually just £5 -6 to include anyone on the family ticket.
    If you also read the small print, a 16 - 18 yo can use their parent's membership card to gain entry on their own.
    HT

Hi everyone

aplegjnf is absolutely correct! I am an English Heritage member too. As a lone parent with 3 children ( & therefore not your 'stereotypical' family unit) it costs me £38 per year (approx) & it allows me free entry to EH properties for myself & up to 6 children. Well done English Heritage for having the foresight to be so socially inclusive.

Not only that but during your first year you get half price entry to Historic Scotland properties, Cadw in Wales & also Manx Heritage on the Isle of Man. Thereafter in subsequent years of membership you get free entry to all of these affiliated groups & I have even qualified for 10 - 20% discounts at other visitor attractions e.g Crich tram Museum in Derbyshire, Ravenglass & Eskdale railway in Cumbria etc, but you have to check & ask when you go.

Once again saves a fortune on day trips out.
  • Savvysal
    Savvysal Posts: 24 Forumite
    Tigerpants wrote: »
    Hello!

Also wanted to ask if anyone else has any experience of having more than two children in a travelodge room? We have always had to book two and were wanting to go up to London for a couple of days and it would be much easier and so much less expensive if we could book one room.

Hi Tigerpants

My middle son recently returned from a school residential trip to London in May & they stayed at a clean & comfy Youth Hostel very near the capital (somewhere near Canary Wharf I think but unfortunately the name escapes me). It was a 6-bedded bedroom (albeit bunkbeds) with bedding provided and an en-suite bathroom with sink, toilet & shower. You did have to take your own towels however, but breakfast was provided. However this was for a school trip, so rates & facilities may vary according to your circumstances. I just thought that this might be a viable alternative to your dilemma.

Here's the link

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/london/hostels

Hope it helps

PS if you ever fancied camping then the Camping & Caravanning Club have a couple of sites close to the the London area: Theobolds Park in Waltham Cross Hertfordshire, both of which welcomes non members (13 miles away) as does Chertsey in Surrey which is half an hour away from London by train. Again just a thought.
  • janehma
    janehma Posts: 6 Forumite
    Further to above message replying to my thread about Eurosporvac:-
    Altho' the site is in dutch. they speak excellent english if you want to phone them or email them. Our spanish holiday is now back on!! They have been so patient & helpful and not charged us a penny extra. I wholeheartedly recommend them.
  • janehma
    janehma Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi, we have travelled with all of our kids like you are doing, this year trying eurosporvac - cheaper even than vacansoleil who we went with last year. Kids travel much better than people think, especially in the car with their own things around them. I do 'holiday packs' age appropriate gathered over weeks prior to hols, which I give out bit by bit. Things to include, pocket size games (magic sketch) snakes & ladders, 'new' small toys from charity shops, magazines, sticker books - some lovely farm ones at mo in sainsbury's for £1, washable pens & colouring books/paper. Sorry i do get quite carried away
  • Do eurosporvac or any of the other companies offer caravans/mobile homes to hire? Which ferry is best value as well?
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family