The great “how to save money when you’ve more than two kids” hunt

Comments

• squashy
    squashy Posts: 951 Forumite
    Another large family here, we are seven although that is small compared to some of my friends, one of which is a mum to eight. The oldest two are my step children and we really like to include them on our family trips and holidays, but it is becoming increasingly difficult and we often have to decide to do stuff when they are with their mum, which feels really mean and awful. I am sure there are other step families in the same boat.

Next year however we are looking at booking Villa somewhere like Turkey or Cyprus, and then doing budget airline flights, for all of us. It will still cost us a pretty penny but it is the only way we have found to get round the family accommodation problem. But it is the days out we struggle with. Thank goodness there are lots of free places to visit in manchester!

I can heartily recommend the Family and Friends Railcard by the way as it lets you take up to eight children at a great discount.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tigerpants wrote: »
    Also wanted to ask if anyone else has any experience of having more than two children in a travelodge room? We have always had to book two and were wanting to go up to London for a couple of days and it would be much easier and so much less expensive if we could book one room.

tbh, we dont tell them. i know they tend to justify limiting numbers in rooms due to fire safety, etc. but i just say, 'we'd rather burn to death together thanks' and the staff just drop it after that - espec as most travelodge family rooms are on the top floor, theres no way i can easily make it down the stairs in an emergency carrying the babies/kids to get out anyway!

Flea
  • Tigerpants
    Tigerpants Posts: 47 Forumite
    flea72 wrote: »
    tbh, we dont tell them. i know they tend to justify limiting numbers in rooms due to fire safety, etc. but i just say, 'we'd rather burn to death together thanks' and the staff just drop it after that - espec as most travelodge family rooms are on the top floor, theres no way i can easily make it down the stairs in an emergency carrying the babies/kids to get out anyway!

Flea

Thank you for that!:D

My husband says exactly the same thing and when we stayed in one last year in Scotland the receptionist actually queried why we were booking two rooms and told us to call direct next time and she'd have no problem. I'm such a cautious person though (for that read a little pathetic :o ) and I sometimes worry so much that they'll ask us to leave and we'll be in the middle of London trying to find another hotel room. I think I know, like you say, that they are very unlikely to do that really.

Thanks again for the reply!
    In house moving hell :eek:
  • manhater
    manhater Posts: 80 Forumite
    Really?? I don't!

Maybe I should make some friends in some more affluent places :rotfl: any tips??

Yes actually, lol. I had no idea that several parents at the school were owners of property abroad until i obviously started to talk about it, now i have a list of places to visit! just ask EVERYONE you know your be suprised at just how many people do, like i said if not directly then indirectly you WILL come up trumps.........good luck
  • I look forward to any other ideas people have for days out etc.

http://www.visiteastofengland.com/ This may come in handy for you I have used this quite a few times for money off for different attractions. You don't have to register and can print as many vouchers as you want/need! It also includes Colchester zoo free child entry with every adult in case you want to go again!
  • debmorris
    debmorris Posts: 12 Forumite
    We have 3 children and one trick we try is if there are offers for a theme park etc that is one free child per paying adult and we can get hold of a couple of tickets, is that we pretend we are not together and I will go in with one child and my husband will go in with the other 2. That way you get 2 free child tickets. However some places are getting their own back by saying "one free child per two paying adults" so I think they are cottoning on. But these places must make a killing over the summer so a few free tickets is not going to harm them. We don't go abroad now as its too expensive but when we went to Disneyland Paris we managed a family room which had a double bed and a single bed with another connecting room with a bunkbed so we put the single mattress on the floor of the 2nd room so all children could sleep together and we could have a bit of peace. Also we used to lie about my son's age as luckily he is quite small for his age. But now that he is 6 it is becoming more difficult!! Especially as he won't learn to be quiet and shouts out how old he is!!:rotfl:
  • janehma
    janehma Posts: 6 Forumite
    We have 6 children & are always looking to save money!
    A big recommendation must go this year to Eurosportvac, a dutch camping firm that even undercuts Vacansoleil!! We had booked & paid for a holiday with them (2 tents side by side to accomodate our lot) but due to credit crunch etc can no longer afford the travel etc......Guess what, they have kindly agreed to 'hold' our holiday till next year at no extra cost! Hows that for service
    Also for extra pennies & beautiful books why not join me as an Usborne Children's book organiser, reduced joining costs at the mo! I love the books & my children have learned to be really careful when reading my stock books!
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    At least you qualify for a family ticket, what about families with an only child - they always pay full price for everything, never qualifying for a discount? :p

We went to Stonehaven (heated)outdoor pool the other day, it cost the same to buy a family ticket as it did to buy them separately, so no saving there for us.

However, their family ticket is for 2 adults 2 children OR 1 adult and 3 children, which is a good deal for couples with 6 kids...they can buy a family ticket each. The tickets last all day too.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Then again, you could take your kids to FREE events and just pay for parking.
    They are there if you look hard enough.
    On Saturday and Sunday I took my pair to the Sunderland International airshow held every year on Seaburn & Roker seafront. (OK, the Red Arrows et al didn't turn up this year becuse of sea-fret - but that's the first washout in 20 years).
    Wednesday we had a fabulous time at the annual Robin Hood festival at Edwinstowe, Notts.. Cost? £3 for parking. Glorious entertainment all week until Sunday 3rd August.
    Don't just sit there. . . GO NOW!!!!
  • HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Whizzbang wrote: »
    Then again, you could take your kids to FREE events and just pay for parking.They are there if you look hard enough.

Bristol balloon festival is one of these, last year we bought parking in advance at £7, which enabled 8 of us to get in as my car seats 8. That works out at less that £1 each for a fantastic day and even more wonderful evening. It a fantastic event to go to and cheap too (as long as you take a picnic)

There has got to be more of these type of events....lets compile a list of them! :j
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure