Do you ask for a doggy bag? Poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• stogiebear
    stogiebear Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I used to, but since our unelected leader has nagged me about it, like a petulant child, I'd now rather see it go to waste.
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    I don't have a dog
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Pinklady_3
    Pinklady_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Only done this once in Pizza Hut and that was after a friend asked first so the rest of us all said "can we do that too please?"
    Would be far too embarrassed to ask anywhere else.
    Old enough to know better, too young to care! :p
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Used to regularly go for one of those 'earlybird' 3 courses for x££s and take the pud home. Couple of times other diners saw what we were doing and followed suit.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    I've done this occasionally, in restaurants where it's clear they also do take-away so they're more likely to have containers etc, and it's more likely to be in somewhere cheap & cheerful (Wagamama, thai/indian place) than somewhere super-fancy. I don't feel embarassed about it - what's the worst that could happen? - but it has to be really good food to make me want to do it! I think it's more common in America because they're more comfortable asking for what they want, rather than worrying about what the waiter will think about them. Having waitstaff who are desparate to please because they need the tips must help too!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • spandit
    spandit Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't really vote on this as "left-over food" doesn't exist when my family goes out. If there's something that someone can't finish then there will always be someone else who can!
    If you find my post helpful please press the THANKS button.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    i generally only order what i intend to eat.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was recently talking about this with a friend who lives in Chicago and she does it everywhere she eats and she eats in some very posh restaurants... its normal in the US and of course as she says if she ate each portion as it was served she wouldn't get past a starter... they really do have giant portions over there... she takes it home and has if for dinner next day... but she did say that as prices are rising over there she is thinking of just ordering a starter and dessert... so no doggy bag... :rotfl:

EDIT: Forgot to say I wouldn't have the cheek to ask myself...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • wildmantel
    wildmantel Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I never used to leave anything and often through the lack of money I would let the children order what they wanted first. Then I would get something small knowing they would leave a little something on their plates for dear old Dad:o they were too busy with their desserts to notice me. Or maybe they were being polite.
    They only time I asked to take anything away was a sizable piece of steak that I could not finish and I told the staff I would slice it up for sandwiches the following day. They smiled and made me a basket out of foil. Probably laughed their heads off in the kitchen but:confused: who cares it made great sandwiches the next day.
    Nature's the perfect recycling machine:D but sometimes she needs a helping hand:grouphug:

20p Savers Club personal target :-£50.00/ so far £15.80
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    other than at a buffet, if it's something I'm really enjoying, but (on a rare occasion) can't finish, I'll ask to take it home, after all we've paid for it & it'll only get binned otherwise

I've even asked in my favourite swanky bistro & they were more than happy to accommodate us :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure