Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

August 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 105

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 213.6K views

Replies

• Something's eaten all of the tops off my carrots :( Not sure if it's slugs/snails as there's no slimy trails nearby, but they've had a good go at my hostas and sunflowers, so it could be that. I guess with the tops gone they are all doomed now? Poor little carrots :cry:
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • *BigBird* wrote: »
    Something's eaten all of the tops off my carrots :(:cry:

Oh no BB, how annoying! I hope you manage to salvage some:sad:
    Taking small steps to get myself more organised- both financially and in other areas too:D Big steps coming soon!
  • ChesChes Forumite
    1.1K posts
    My turn to buy the coffee and cakes for my friend and myself. Cost £5.20p so £117.74p left for the month. Must stop paying for any more treats this month or I won't have enough left to manage. OH usually buys the treats but he is working away this week so I had to pay instead. mmmmm!!
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • catnap53catnap53 Forumite
    227 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Had a day off work today. Spent all morning ironing and then needed to put more washing in as it was nice weather.

DS and DD didn't surface until lunch time.

Was preparing fish cakes for tea, got as far as shaping them, when they all said they didn't want them, :mad: so we just had the chicken and vegetable soup I was cooking for tomorrow.

Got so much F&V left, carrots started to get a bit furry, broccoli, runner beans, half of 3 melons, nectarines that were supposedly ready to eat when I bought them, kept them in the fridge and they are still hard but going off. I know there is lots I can do with them all, but lacking motivation at the moment. I am just so tired, but at least it stops me shopping.

Haven't updated spends with Asda shop on Saturday. I think I must have left the receipt at mother's with hers. I know it was 36 pounds something, so if I call it 37 I will be OK. Not spent anything since.

Does anyone know if there is anything to be salvaged from double cream that has gone off? Not just a bit tangy, it is lumpy:eek: I had a litre and didn't use much before it got buried behind the melons. I would have made butter or frozen it if I had found it earlier.

Zzzz

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Big bird

Bleeping slugs..i swear some of the ones i keep salting are big enough to put saddles on and ride round the garden:eek: :rotfl:

Its not too late to get more carrots set ;) I set some the other week and they were through in 2 days :T so i set some more (for more read -whole packet :rotfl: ) and im setting another crate full in the morning.. along with more salad leaves n pak choi :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    th_goodnight.gif

Will see you tomorrow guys

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Big bird

Bleeping slugs..i swear some of the ones i keep salting are big enough to put saddles on and ride round the garden:eek: :rotfl:

Its not too late to get more carrots set ;) I set some the other week and they were through in 2 days :T so i set some more (for more read -whole packet :rotfl: ) and im setting another crate full in the morning.. along with more salad leaves n pak choi :D

Thanks. I will set some more when I get home from work tomorrow as the rain is supposed to have stopped then :rolleyes: I will surround them with heaps of oats, as I've heard that the slugs eat it and it expands inside them and kills them. Then I will set up CCTV cameras on the pot and watch the little boogers explode!! That'll teach 'em for eating my carrots :mad:
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • gsysezzgsysezz Forumite
    557 posts
    I've suprised myself by spending £70 this week which is about £30 less than normal. Only 2 adults and a very fussy DS who lives off yoghurt. Got lots of DS's foods in stock still. Have eaten well this week. Homemade biscuits instead of bags of junk from the garage. Other half has kept receipts and not bought home rubbish. What a great start.
    Invested in some new digital scales which were a fantastic Amazon bargain. One of those mushroom bags from Lakeland which has been a huge success. All heading in the right direction at last.
    Thanks everyone!!!
    Toxic & Tired - Starting 2010 afresh :beer:
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well plan on a NSD today. I will need to go to the shops tomorrow to buy some milk and stuff but will see how it goes.
    May do some baking for little ones. Like the look of Jamie Oliver's Lemon Curd Ice Çream as I have some Lemon Cud I bought when was in Mr T.

Could someone please post a link to this as I did a search on the Jamie thread and nothing came up. TIA
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 21)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    mama67 wrote: »
    Could someone please post a link to this as I did a search on the Jamie thread and nothing came up. TIA

Its on the recipe index ;)Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest the recipe is on the first post / post 129
    jenid wrote: »
    LEMON CURD ICE CREAM (best made at least the day before)
    Tin of custard £0.19 (Tesco Value Ready to serve custard 396g £0.19)
    500g Greek Yoghurt £0.95 (Tesco Greek Style Natural Yoghurt 500g £0.95)
    1/3rd jar Lemon Curd £0.12 (Tesco Value Lemon Curd 411g £0.35)
    TOTAL £1.26

Whip all the ingredients together and freeze for a few hours (or until it starts to go hard) in a shallow container. Mix up the semi frozen mixture with a fork and then put back in the freezer to go hard.

Nikki x
    :A