Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

August 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 104

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 213.6K views

Replies

• Hi All
    My target is £40 for what remains of August - I have a great start - £15 voucher from Sainsbury's!!!

So far have spent £2.55.

Also have an unending supply of courgettes from my sister's allotment while she's away - I guess they'll feature quite prominently!

PO xx
    :D2010 MFW Challenge No. 112 Mortgage paid in full 27/08/10 I was MF!!!:D
    But now I'm not - (Joint) Mortgage £104704.
    New MFW target £5000 overpayments by 31/12/2105 £400/£5000 = 8%
    SAVINGS TARGET - £25000 by 31/12/2015 £13643/£25000 = 55%
    No 17 Lewis Lane
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not being a very efficient shopper at present, still seem to need things, but not going out to get them....went shopping for work clothes with DD this afternoon, taking two grandsons as well...never want to see another shop of any type again!!

Spent another €2.97 yesterday on food...so total is now €101.98...or €8 per day for the rest of the month, hopefully will make it although DD2 and her 2 are here for 2 more weeks and we will have DS1, DDIL and DGD2 for at least a week...their furniture is all being picked up from Amsterdam on Wednesday and will not be delivered to Cork for 8/10 days...they all chip in well, but not the same as having control of my shopping...IYKWIM.

Glad to see everyone doing so well

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Thank you so much for the custard cookie's recipe myself and middle daughter made them over an hour ago,they are lovely.Next time i'll cut them thinner lol.
    Hubby made he's lovely HM burgers tonight they fantastic as usual.
    Yesterday hubby came back from he's allotment yesterday with our children with lots of Onions,carrots,beetroot,broadbeans,peas.We spent the day peeling, par-boiling and feezing. Not bad for a novice, hubby has been doing it for 16 months now last year we had a little amount we have alot more this year.
    As we live in an area where there is a large proportion of elderly residents, hubby has been giving them bags of vegetables to help them out.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi guys

just updated siggie,,will try those custard cookies methinks tomorrow

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• wmfwmf Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in giving this a go but have no clue what to have as my budget. Me and OH spend so much on food, I go every few days and pick up loads of extras. I can't even bear to add up what I have spent recently, it is time for such a change. Does anyone have any ideas? We are both late twenties and I am looking to do shopping weekly as we live in a teeny flat with little storage. Thanks for reading:)

Hi there. Even though it is scary, it might be an idea to jot down what you think you have spent in an average week and then aim to cut it. There are 2 of us here most of the time and my stepsons at weekends. I'm aiming really low this month with my £100 because I'm away next week for 5 days (so not counting what I eat then and DH has some tinned soup in but will likely eat take aways - won't heat up my lovely food from freezer ggrrr - but his take aways will not come out of budget). Oh this is a long post!! Just trying to say that everyone is different and I doubt that I'll do £100 again - might not even manage it this month!
    I also think it really helps to make a menu plan for a week and go shopping with a list held firmly in your hand!! But...also look out for reduced food and freeze/ use it.
    Finally - taking packed lunches saves a lot of money - we both do that
    Good luck. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you - let us know how much you're going for and how things are
    w
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Thanks wmf, I went shopping today and spent £50 on core food which should last for two weeks. I will need to top up things like salad and bread etc which I am budgeting £20 for. So £70 for two weeks, see how that goes! I have made a menu for the next week so hope that works lol! £70 for two weeks probably sounds a lot to you guys doesn't it?
    Taking small steps to get myself more organised- both financially and in other areas too:D Big steps coming soon!
  • I am interested in giving this a go but have no clue what to have as my budget. Me and OH spend so much on food, I go every few days and pick up loads of extras. I can't even bear to add up what I have spent recently, it is time for such a change. Does anyone have any ideas? We are both late twenties and I am looking to do shopping weekly as we live in a teeny flat with little storage. Thanks for reading:)

Try googling "Spending diary.com. Jot down what you spend this month and then you will have a target to aim for next month

Worked for me :D

ym

• Thanks yellowmonkey, looks great! I was going to create something like this on my computer so I can access it whereever but this will be great to practice with.
    Taking small steps to get myself more organised- both financially and in other areas too:D Big steps coming soon!
  • No worries

Had to edit the link as it went straight into mine :o:o.

Spending diary.com is excellent

Went to Mr M and got 2 more diced chicken breast :D

• No worries

Had to edit the link as it went straight into mine :o:o.

Spending diary.com is excellent

Went to Mr M and got 2 more diced chicken breast :D

lol! I caught part of the Mr M advert on TV earlier and was tempted by the chicken, is it a decent amount of chicken? Didn't catch the full ad.