New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

More4 on Freeview

30 replies 33.1K views
13»

Replies

• EDi_2EDi_2 Forumite
    31 posts
    MATRIX wrote:
    OK. I have changed from the basic sky package (because it is too expensive) and paid Sky £20 for their "Freestat from Sky" obviously keeping my very ancient sky box - I just stuck the new card in it. Now I still get BBC on 101, BBC2 on 102 etc etc, the channels I can't get are still there like Sky one on 106 etc. How do I rescan so I know I am getting all the freeview channels I should be getting? I can't rescan because I can't bring up channel 13 nor does the menu on the sky remote bring up a rescan option. Am I better off ditching the old sky box and getting a Freeview box instead? To make matters more complicated we have a plasma screen linked into a box along with the sky box, video and cinema surround - nightmare. Please help!

I was looking forward to Morgan Spurlock's new series "30 days" , I was under the impression that More4 was a FREEview channel
    Like many others I can't receive Freeview. The Freesat service is my only option to 'go digital' without buying a subscription I don't want and don't need. What a farce

I do not spend enough time at home to require a subsciption and only wish to watch those channels that are FREEview.

Is there an online petition or something for OFCOM that we can all sign?

I once recieved c4 , itv, itv2 etc but they dissapeared about a year ago so a friend gave me his old SKY setup and I got FreeSAT. (for some reason SKY Travel is on freeview but not FreeSAT?)
  • Art_2Art_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Woby_Tide wrote:
    Even if you have already got More4 in the correct place there was big reshuffle of all the digital freeview channels yesterday(October 18th) so probably worth rescanning all your freeview boxes anyway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digital_tv/retune_freeview.shtml

You'll get a message on screen telling you that your freeview box has to be retuned. When you have done this a number of channels will be in new locations. All the news channels move from channels 40 (BBC) 41 (ITV) and 42 (Sky) to channels 80, 81 and 82.
    Regards,
    Artmo

• MATRIX wrote:
    OK. I have changed from the basic sky package (because it is too expensive) and paid Sky £20 for their "Freestat from Sky" obviously keeping my very ancient sky box - I just stuck the new card in it. Now I still get BBC on 101, BBC2 on 102 etc etc, the channels I can't get are still there like Sky one on 106 etc. How do I rescan so I know I am getting all the freeview channels I should be getting? I can't rescan because I can't bring up channel 13 nor does the menu on the sky remote bring up a rescan option. Am I better off ditching the old sky box and getting a Freeview box instead? To make matters more complicated we have a plasma screen linked into a box along with the sky box, video and cinema surround - nightmare. Please help!
    As no-one has yet come to your aid I will help :D

Freeview is only channel 13 on Freeview, not Sky (or Freesat). You cannot change the channel numbers on Sky or remove channels you have not subscribed to from the list (I think this is a ploy by Sky so that you can "see what you're missing" as it were). On the plus side though, Sky will rescan itself and add new channels, so you never need to do it manually.

You can get all the Freeview channels on Freesat, and more, except E4 and More4. This is to do with the contracts between Channel 4 and Sky. If you want E4 and More4 you will have to get a freeview box (or a Sky subscription).

Freesat is better than Freeview, except for this niggle. They (Sky) may make E4/More4 free to view sometime in the future though, just to confuse you a bit more.

Why not get a cheap freeview box for another TV (bedroom/dining room etc.) for if you ever want to watch these channels?
  • Can you watch the Sky (freeview) an On digital Free view on the same TV,can it be set up so you can switch between the 2
  • paul_hpaul_h Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Vikingfan wrote:
    Can you watch the Sky (freeview) an On digital Free view on the same TV,can it be set up so you can switch between the 2

Yes. Connect the first box from it's TV scart to the TV. Connect a cable from the TV scart on the second box to the VCR scart on the first box, and connect your VCR to the VCR socket on the second box if required. If either box is in standby, it will act as if it's not there, i.e.will 'pass through'.

The method of 'chaining' works very well.

If you don't use the scart outputs, then it can still be done, best to set your two boxes to output on different UHF channels and tune the TV in accordingly.
  • I rescanned and found it on Freeview channel 13. No cost involved etc, all free to air. What's more it's a pretty good channel.

However little anecdote, I have or rather had a DigiFusion FVRT100 freeview box with 40GB PVR... It's been problematic, ok once it updated it's own software but last week we had a power cut, the freeview box hasn't worked since. Took it back to Curry's who attempted to upsell me a Humax box for an extra £40 but that only has a single tuner, they no longer stock the Digifusion model so I got a refund ;-) Currently shopping for a decent replacement....
  • The humax is stunning except for its little bugs.....like never ending recordings. Some people love 'em and live with 'em, others like me have an 'it should work' attitude and get their money back!

I really miss my PVR.......
  • Dan29Dan29 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Humax have a dual-tuner PVR out now. See http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/ for a comparison of dual-tuner PVRs.
  • Good news, but I'll let the boys over here:
    http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=humax;action=messageindex;start=0
    get all the bugs ironed out before I stump up for one again.
    Judging on past performance this should take about 12-18 months!
  • Dan29Dan29 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed although there are other boxes listed on that page that might be worth a shot.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=90 is another forum worth looking at.