Cancel TV licence?

Options
12346»

Comments

• asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    What on earth do they think they can check? You can have all the equipment in the house as long as you don't use it to watch live broadcasts. Are they going to follow you round for a few days to make sure you don't watch the TV?

I think they just listen at our windows at exactly 7.30pm for the familiar sound of the Coronation Street and EastEnders theme tunes.

We didn't have a TV for over a decade. We couldn't get a signal, not through satellite nor terrestrial, so there was no point having a TV.

In the early days of the TVLA's campaign of harassment against us, I made it pretty clear in a signed letter to TVLA.. "Can't get a signal. Don't need a telly. Haven't got a telly. Go away."

We got an immediate reply from TVLA.. politely thanking us for letting them know that we have no TV but.... then came the crunch, "unfortunately, a small number of people tell us that they have no television when, in fact, they do." and then the Agency went on to baldly state that it would continue to harass us!

There are all sorts of weird reports about TVLA practices.

There are youtube videos showing how the enforcement squads trick their way into people's homes under false pretences:

"Hullo sweetheart! Sorry to trouble yer! Just here to check your water pressure. Can I come in? Is that a telly over there? Anything good on this morning?!"

It has come to light that the TVLA enforcement officers are awarded an extra bounty (£25) for catching licence evaders while they are watching important events like the World Cup or FA Cup Final and ,no doubt, the forthcoming Royal marriage of Walter and Kathleen.

Yet another advantage in being a Republican - you won't get caught for TV licence evasion.
  • timetosave22
    Options
    No answers here unfortunately but I found the number I needed.

For the record and any people who may like to know:

Paying the BBC 1/4ly ensures you end up paying them an extra £5 for the privilege over and above the licence fee ( £150 from £145)

If you try to change it to monthly they want £29 monthly then £12 thereafter ensuring they get the £145 in 5 months and then your payments put you in credit and them holding 6 or so months of your money before you have received the service.

Paying up front with most other institutions normally gets you a discount.

Another example of rip off UK, I'd shoot the greedy Bar stewards.
  • wtabby
    wtabby Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    In Nov 2010 I went abroad for 5 months and left my house empty. My tv licence expired in December and as I was abroad and wouldn't be watching I didn't renew it.
    Returned to UK on 6th April to a pile of threatening letters demanding that I get a licence. That same day I bought a licence from the local Co op.
    Received a letter this morning saying that usually a licence lasts for 12 months from purchase, but in my case it will need renewing in January 2012. They are deducting the outstanding months whilst I was away without asking first was there a valid reason.
    Wish I could run my business this way.
    Really annoyed with them and will give them a piece of my mind on Monday when I ring them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure