Cancel TV licence?

Options

Comments

• shinjukumaster
    Options
    Sorry if this is on the wrong board, couldn't see anything for TV licences.

I have a TV but never watch programmes these days and am thinking of just cancelling my licence altogether. I only ever use it to watch DVDs.

I've looked into it and I know that if you don't use your TV to receive broadcasts then you don't need a licence so I'm definitely 'allowed' to cancel (i.e. I'm not just trying to avoid paying when I should) - they can send me all the threatening letters they want, they'll just go straight in the bin!

However, I've just realised that since I moved into my flat - autumn 2006 - I only asked to pay for one year's licence and they've just been taking the money every month since then! I have one paper licence which covers the year from my moving in and they haven't sent me anything else since.

Considering they're pretty much taking the money without my permission (I certainly never said 'hey, just take my money forever', I just asked for ONE licence) can I just cancel the Direct Debit without informing them? As far as I'm concerned I've paid for what I asked for and I shouldn't need to contact them to cancel it. I can cancel the DD right now by just logging into my online banking and then it'll be done and I can forget about it.

Also can they honestly tell if you're watching TV or not? I know most of that they say in their threatening letters is just bluffing but I do worry that since I live in an apartment block where lots of other people have TVs, they'll somehow 'detect' that I'm watching TV when I'm not and break into my flat or fine me or something!

If you use Google you can find some sites who are anti-licensing, and they will give you a good insight into what goes on. From what you say you are well in the clear.

But, even if you have no TV, and even if you tell TVLA you have no TV, you can expect threatening letters, and harassment. I suggest you keep all such letters you receive and build a case for harassment.

One important aspect is the 'right of access' to your property - which is assumed by TVLA. You can write to them (anonymously - as the 'occupier') and deny them right of access - which they must observe. That will stop license goons (who have no power or authority) from coming to your door.
    Never, ever, talk to them (say nothing), or let them into your house. Best thing is not to answer the door (or in my case open the door and photo/video them).

They must prove that you were using a TV/device to receive LIVE BROADCASTS - and this is very difficult for them to do. Even if they had 'evidence' from a 'detector van' (which are reportedly empty vans used as a scare tactic) they would not use it as evidence in court - because they don't want the public to discover their technology!

On a side note, watch the bbc lobby government to tax your PC/mobile now that they are making live broadcasts available on the Internet. The bbc are dead - they just don't know it yet. Dear old auntie beeb can go and...

Incidentally, I have never had a TV license, because I have no TV. But I'll not spend the price of a phone call, or postage stamp (because they'd still harass me anyway) and happily let the bbc waste money pursuing me for a license I don't need, for a TV I don't have. And, if I can, I'll do them for harassment, and infringement of European law (my right to receive information unimpeded).

This is partly the reason they won't prosecute Noel Edmunds - it would lead to a high profile expose. However, if you're a poor single mum, or otherwise vulnerable - remember - its all in the database, and they'll have you (because they have spent millions on a contract with Capita (the TVLA goons) and they must get that money back!
  • shinjukumaster
    Options
    fiddiwebb wrote: »
    Yes but it also says spacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment

That is deliberately vague - a revenue-generating tactic (people who do not need licenses are scared into buying them). Do your own research (Google is your friend), know the facts, be aware of your rights, and do not be intimidated.
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    I paid my TV license in September 2007 and my TV blew in October. I found out that you can claim back unused TV license and gave them a ring. Within a week or two I received a full refund from the date my TV had blown. I've been happily TV free since. I had no problems with them and they were very helpful and positive.

I don't know how it works if you say you haven't been watching live broadcasts from a certain date but while still in possession of equipment. No harm in giving them a ring.

If your not intending to watch TV I would snip the coax close to the socket so it is obviously not in use but can easily be modified if you change your mind.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I paid my TV license in September 2007 and my TV blew in October. I found out that you can claim back unused TV license and gave them a ring. Within a week or two I received a full refund from the date my TV had blown. I've been happily TV free since. I had no problems with them and they were very helpful and positive.

I don't know how it works if you say you haven't been watching live broadcasts from a certain date but while still in possession of equipment. No harm in giving them a ring.

If your not intending to watch TV I would snip the coax close to the socket so it is obviously not in use but can easily be modified if you change your mind.

In my personal experience, they only give refunds in blocks of three months. If you've paid for 3 months and stopped watching TV or moved house after the first month you won't get a refund for those 2 months. If you'd paid for six months then in the same circumstances owed 5 months you'd only get refunded for 3 months. Certainly the policy when I was owed.

As for snipping the coax, why? I'd have no intention of letting strangers in my house to prove a negative (which is logically impossible), i.e. prove not watching TV. Should we also brick up our garages so we can then invite the DVLA around to prove we don't have a car and therefore don't owe money for a tax disc? Same principle.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Yorkshire_Bred
    Options
    This is an interesting site in relation to the BBC, license fee and funding it receives from the EU which ss apparently against The Royal Charter it is supposed to abide by.

http://www.tpuc.org/stoppayingtvlicencefees
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    In my personal experience, they only give refunds in blocks of three months. If you've paid for 3 months and stopped watching TV or moved house after the first month you won't get a refund for those 2 months. If you'd paid for six months then in the same circumstances owed 5 months you'd only get refunded for 3 months. Certainly the policy when I was owed.

Looks like your right I've just dug out the refund from a bank statement and I got £33.87 so sounds like about 3 months. I got the refund in March so about 5 months after the TV died. Never mind I've still saved a years worth of tv license.
    As for snipping the coax, why? I'd have no intention of letting strangers in my house to prove a negative (which is logically impossible), i.e. prove not watching TV. Should we also brick up our garages so we can then invite the DVLA around to prove we don't have a car and therefore don't owe money for a tax disc? Same principle.

Because OP mentioned in a later post they don't mind snipping the cable and filling the hole in with polyfilla etc. Replacing the cable is a potentially awkward or pricey job if in future you change your mind.
  • redmower3
    Options
    an amusing site here...

https://www.bbctvlicence.com
  • skyepark
    skyepark Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    i opened the door to one of these bothersome people and had to give over my details so i am now on the system i want to cancel my direct debit and be left alone. How can I do this? take away there access rights? and he didnt see a tv becuase he was never fully let in. my housemate can vouch for this. shouod i just cancel teh direct debit?
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    where do people stand when using iplayer or other web based programmes for their viewing . , especially when watching shows that have already been show rather than a live feed ?
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    nickj wrote: »
    where do people stand when using iplayer or other web based programmes for their viewing . , especially when watching shows that have already been show rather than a live feed ?

You don't need a licence for iPlayer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport