Cancel TV licence?

Options

Comments

• A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    skyepark wrote: »
    i opened the door to one of these bothersome people and had to give over my details so i am now on the system i want to cancel my direct debit and be left alone. How can I do this? take away there access rights? and he didnt see a tv becuase he was never fully let in. my housemate can vouch for this. shouod i just cancel teh direct debit?

If he didn't see a TV that might be fine. If he didn't see the TV that would be a different kettle of fish.
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    Just received a letter from TV licencing asking if I now have a TV. They've softened the tone dramatically. Maybe the reminder will be a sledgehammer through the door at 4am. :)
  • norfolkshops
    Options
    sorry if this is not the right place-i have not paid my weekly payments of my tv licence so they have taken me off the payment sceme due to me having diffuties of paying it.

now i have sorted my debts out is it possible to go back on sceme thank u in advance
  • norfolkshops
    Options
    any one please
  • musicmaker29
    Options
    *bangs head on desk*

how many more times does this debate need to be had!?

OP - good question (its the responses from others that are frustrating).

I called them to cancel my license about a year ago - I was very polite and simply said that I wouldn't be watching TV as it was broadcast and therefore did not require a license. They refunded some money to me (I forget how much, there are rules about how much refund you can get) and said they may send someone out to check. A few weeks later I noticed the refund had gone into my account and no-one has been to check, ever. (If they did, they woudl note that I do not watch TV as it is broadcast, there is no ariel plugged into my TV and my old sky box is laying about in the back room somewhere).

They were polite as well and I am happier without TV!

This is a similar thing to car insurance - you dont need to insure a car that is sat in the garage just because it is capable of been driven on a road - the offence would be actually DRIVING the car on the road without insurance, and they would have to catch me and prove it! (this is an example btw, I have no garage lol - and also I have a fully taxed car!). Do you get what I mean?
  • timetosave22
    Options
    Is there a telephone number for bbc tv licensing to cancel a renewal of tv license as my partner now wishes to take it on

I cannot see anything on their website

the number provided on the tv license 0300 790 6055 is automated and has no facility to do this.
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    This is a similar thing to car insurance - you dont need to insure a car that is sat in the garage just because it is capable of been driven on a road - the offence would be actually DRIVING the car on the road without insurance, and they would have to catch me and prove it!... Do you get what I mean?
    Ironic.. that was true at the time musicmaker wrote it.. But the law will shortly change.

DVLA will soon be making the assumption that if your car is flagged on its database as un-insured, then the Agency will presume that you are driving it illegally on the public road, and you will be fined automatically.

It would be simple for HMG to expand these laws of reverse burden of proof to include television licensing.
  • nifferwilko
    nifferwilko Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    asbokid wrote: »
    It would be simple for HMG to expand these laws of reverse burden of proof to include television licensing.

Could happen, but wouldn't the counter argument be that uninsured drivers are potentially dangerous to other people, whereas unlicenced televisions are not (unless there was a public service announcement broadcast about zombies or something, and all those people who don't watch TV miss it!) :eek:
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    Could happen, but wouldn't the counter argument be that uninsured drivers are potentially dangerous to other people, whereas unlicenced televisions are not (unless there was a public service announcement broadcast about zombies or something, and all those people who don't watch TV miss it!)
    The Government has engineered the scare over uninsured motorists to raise revenues.

The current industry-funded scheme using an insurance levy has worked well to date. It currently funds the Motor Insurers' Bureau who pay out for damage and injury caused by uninsured or untraceable motorists.

Since there is no penalty that will stop people from driving without insurance or from fleeing an accident, the insurance levy will have to continue even after the new law is in place.

This new law is much more about revenue raising than road safety.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They refunded some money to me (I forget how much, there are rules about how much refund you can get) and said they may send someone out to check. A few weeks later I noticed the refund had gone into my account and no-one has been to check, ever. (If they did, they woudl note that I do not watch TV as it is broadcast, there is no ariel plugged into my TV and my old sky box is laying about in the back room somewhere).

What on earth do they think they can check? You can have all the equipment in the house as long as you don't use it to watch live broadcasts. Are they going to follow you round for a few days to make sure you don't watch the TV?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure