BSM driving school - waste of money

Options

Comments

• missworks2jobs
    Options
    I learned from a local independent instructor (word of mouth) he'd been recommended and I passed second time after about 50 lessons (but I did have a long wait - 3months inbetween my 1st and 2nd test, that was the earliest re-test I could get, obviously picked a busy time). I did not have a car at home to "practice" in so literally all my driving time was with my instructor in lessons. I took a little longer than my friends & family had but I believe I'm a confident and safe driver now.

I only have one close friend who learned through BSM and she nicknamed them "Bring Some Money" as they were more expensive than the independent instructors and her lessons seemed to drag on and on for ages when she personally felt ready to take her test.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It surprises me that people do pick an instructor other than by personal recommendation. DS1 asked a friend, when DS2 came to learn that one had given up so he asked another friend, then DS3 used the same instructor. Just to balance the negative comments, by the time DS3 started his instructor was under some part of the BSM umbrella, however we still contacted him direct and paid him direct. I don't know how many lessons DS3 had, but it seemed like far fewer than his brothers, and he's the only one who passed first time!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tiptopdrivers
    Options
    As with any service you wish to use it usually pays to undertake some research.

I currently work in the driver training profession and the overwhelming majority of approved driving instructors (ADI's) are self employed and as with any profession there will always be people who find varying levels of quality service.

As ADI's are self employed this means that no matter what branded company you choose the person who you will be receiving training from will not be employed by them and will in essence be running there own business within the franchise arrangement.

It is a common misconception to believe that the larger the brand the better the quality of service you'll receive because it is well known.

In the driver training profession quality of service stems from the person providing you with the education and NOT the branding. BSM for example uses people who are going through the training process and are not fully qualified and may not even qualify however they do not charge a different price for this or make mention of it when you buy lessons, that is left at the educators discretion who is legally obliged to display a trainee licence badge coloured PINK if they are receiving money or moneys worth for your training. An individual on a trainee licence may well provide you with good service however they will be inexperienced having not yet qualified.

In summary I would recommend anyone to ask people that they know for a recommendation or to speak to the person that they will be taught by and look to undertake some form of assessment session with them to see the quality of education you will receive from that person.

Sadly from experience I see too many clients who have not received the education needed to enable them to be competent, controlled safe drivers enabling them to have the vital life skill of driving. Similarly clients have a part to play in understanding that to learn such a skill is not simply having the minimum amount of lessons to "get through" a test hoping for a good day and easy conditions to handle.
  • cherry41
    cherry41 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 November 2010 at 4:42PM
    Options
    I have been reading the above posts after desperation with BSM my 17 year old daughter has been leaning with them. I have tried to speak to BSM regarding my concerns but they are not interested.

1.My Daughters Instructor advised her to book her test 2 months ago which she did and is now book for the 3rd November
    2.She has had 30 hours of driving with BSM and has only on one occasion been taught any maneuvers. Which I feel is not quite right as she should be doing these on regular occasions.
    3.He has on most occasions turned up 10 – 15 mins late and not got her back later to compensate
    4.My Biggest complaint is on the last 6 lessons he has taken her to his house and gone in whilst leaving her sitting in the car for 10 – 15 minutes I find this appalling as we are paying a great deal for these lesson and every week she is looking 20 – 30 mins waiting around for him.
    5. When he leaves his house he has to then drive him to the chemist to collect his prescription.

Whilst i was out with my daughter taking her driving she said 'mum shall i take to to his house' which i did and there was his car parked outside. I find this disgusting.

I phone BSM to try and sort this out but they did not bother to get back to me so I have had no option that to book my daughter a intensive course which has cost me just under £500 as she test and her test is in 2 days time.

I feel so let down by BSM as I work hard to pay for my daughters lessons and feel they just do not care I have email them regarding this matter and telephoned them today to ask why I have not had a response after 2 weeks and they have told me they have staffing issues and don’t know when I will get a reply can anyone suggest where I go from here please
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why on earth haven't you raised all these issues with the instructor? His behaviour is clearly unacceptable, yet you and your daughter seem to have let him walk all over you. You are employing him! Your daughter does not have to take him to collect his prescription-she can just refuse. Unless of course he extends the lesson time to compensate.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bsmstudent
    Options
    I have recently gone to BSM after using another company which i found to be shocking! Since my tuition with BSM has begun, my driving ability, and confidence has shot up dramatically. My instructor Simon is great, very friendly and supportive and i am very happy with the service i have received- even if it does mean paying a little more money. I know several people who have had a pleasant experience and passed their tests with BSM.
  • dave310586
    Options
    Hi I used Just Driving for my driving lessons in halifax they were fantastic I got 6 driving lessons for £58.50 and passed first time Give them a try its money well spent.
  • jbubbubs
    Options
    If you cant drive then no instructor in the worlds going to pass you. Dont give up hope.
  • Rofriki
    Options
    My husband booked his first 2 hour slot for actual lessons that wern't with a family member with BSM.
    Scheduled between 7-12 today, it is now around 1:30pm and the instructor appears to have vanished into the ether somewhere..
    We were not called or informed about any of it, just the standard email saying we had bought lessons, from the equally standard automated "no not reply" remailer thingy these companies seem to be so fond of now.

I rang them up a few minutes ago, asking where the instructor had indeed vanished to and if he actually intended on showing up.
    The (very nice) lady on the phone, didnt actually tell me the whereabouts of said instructor, so evidently they have next to no idea where he is either.
    She said he had informed her on the system that he had "called our phone and left a voicemail." now i have 2 issues with this.
    1) The only number given to them was our land line, and we dont have an answering machine... How can he leave a voicemail when there is no way to do such?
    2) If he had bothered to call, (which i doubt he did, hes just covering his butt.) I would have recieved the phone call. I am a stay-at-home mother and I am always in. I would have heard it.

So upon disclosing his deception to the woman on the phone, she then asked if I wanted to rebook the lesson again.
    I said no, very firmly and included the fact that my husband had in fact called another company (RedDriving) today and not only been called back from the company to confirm, but also called back by the actual instructor who would be teaching him within about a half hour of his original enquiry about lessons which also gave a set time (so much better!) instead of a period of a few hours.

I asked for a refund, which the woman was very happy to give, perhaps a little too happy but we shall see.
    Having been told it can take anything from 14-28 days, if it isnt there, they shall recieve yet another phone call and you'll get another post from me XD

~Riki
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suspect with BSM, as with many other national companies that have local offices, the quality of service depends upon the staff.

We contacted BSM with regards to driving lessons a couple of weeks ago. The next day we received one call from the office to confirm our details and saying that an instructor would be in touch (this was a voicemail as we were out); early that evening we took a second phone call, from the instructor himself, who was very forthcoming with all information and was a most friendly chap. He followed up the phone call with a text containing all his contact details. We're pretty happy with their service.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport