Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    watpoae wrote: »
    Unfortunately due to bank problems I've been unable to buy my currency online this year so I'm having to buy it instore.

Does anyone know the best place to buy US Dollars from at the minute?

Thanks

There won't be a single best place - it's a question of trawling your local High Street to see who is most competitive in your own area. The same outlet may differ in different towns according to the local competition

If you've a cheque cashing shop they can be very competitive - as it's not their main income they can afford to cut margins.
  • abandonded
    abandonded Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where can I find out the best place to buy euroes on the High St? Tesco, the P.O., travels agents or what? :question:

PS First post so hope it's ok.
    Abandoned
  • Kido
    Kido Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to be moving to Vietman in August. Although most of the money I'll take with me will be dollars, I was hoping to take some local currency to get me started. Can anyone recommend where the best place to get this from is? I seem to be struggling to find it online.

Thanks for any advice.
  • cookymonster10
    Options
    Hi All,

I see that Nationwide is one of the best to use abroad. I only have a cash card, not debit or credit. Does the goodness with this bank still apply to the cash card?
  • moneymel
    moneymel Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 14yr old son is off to sunny South Africa for his summer holidays :D in August.

I need to send him off with spending money plus extra to cover his expenses. I don't feel that using his own bank card is the cheapest and safest way to do this. I've looked at several prepaid cards (Escape/Phones 4 U, Travelex, O2 Cash Manager etc) but I'm not sure which allow minors as it's not always stated, and which would be the most economical.

If possible I would also like him to leave the card with my sister so that I can just top it up for birthday and xmas presents etc for family in SA and save on the cost of posting gifts (which often costs more than the gift itself!!). The Escape card seems to be the only one to allow this...

Does anyone have any helpful comments or suggestions?? Is my only other option to transfer money to my sister's account?

Thanks in advance x
    It's not what you know, but who you know.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2010 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Hi All,

I see that Nationwide is one of the best to use abroad. I only have a cash card, not debit or credit. Does the goodness with this bank still apply to the cash card?

No but with a bit of yes :D:mad:

If you look back to this part of the thread you will find a discussion of the NW cash card last March, now being rolled out to a lot of accounts:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=30673813&highlight=nationwide+basic+account#post30673813

BTW Nationwide is not a bank - it is a building society owned mutually - one member one vote - by its depositors and mortgage holders.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caxton allows cards to be used by minors 13 and over.
  • MykieMike
    MykieMike Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an Abbey debit card. Does anyone know if I get free withdrawals at Santander ATMS in Spain using my Abbey cash card? I do not have an Abbey Credit Card.

Yes you can. I have just had a leaflet come with my latest Santander statement. It says that you can now use your Santander Debit card to make withdrawals from Santander cash machines in Spain Fee Free.

This is the detail from their website:

All main adult Santander current accounts (those which are credited with at least £1,000 per month) can benefit from free cash machine withdrawals in Spain. Simply use your Santander Debit Card in a Santander branded cash machine in Spain to receive the withdrawal fee free. This means: No Cash Handling Fee AND No Foreign Exchange Fee will be charged.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Is the nationwide the only card like this in the world?
    Or are there others in other countries?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jago25_98 wrote: »
    Is the nationwide the only card like this in the world?
    Or are there others in other countries?

I believe some US mutuals offer something similar.

Elsewhere - not a clue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure