Great Isn’t it Obvious MoneySaving Hunt: Tell us the secrets you didn't know you had

Comments

• Sharp_Eyes wrote: »
    10. Finally, I buy my first bottle of water. Thereafter I boil tap water in the kettle and once it has cooled, refill the original bottle time and time again. Clean, fresh water without the cost of bottled!

Don't do it! Boiling water uses an amazing amount of energy - it's one of the reason desalinisation plants cost so much money to run. Invest in a proper water bottle and a bottle brush and clean it out properly, then fill it with tap water.
  • jb5
    jb5 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Boiling the right quantity of water in kettles and, as mentioned above, refilling the kettle after use to heat up the water for next time (I only leave it empty last thing at night).

Using lids on pans when heating food and making sure the gas hob does not have flames licking up the side of the pan (I am currently investigating a microwave purchase but don't have much room in my kitchen) are among many of my any MS hobby horses.

One thing I haven't seen so far is this. Pouring boiling water onto coffee (certainly instant coffee) can scorch it and spoil the taste. So rather than wait for the kettle to cool slightly, I boil LESS water than I need and then add some cold water to the kettle. This ensures the coffee is not scorched and saves money into the bargain (a pain free saving).
  • If you have a stored hot water system (i.e. boiler and hot cylinder) don't wait for the timer to switch the boiler off. Switch it off manually after the last person has had their shower. There will be enough stored hot water for the remaining daytime needs. In the evening, switch it off before the last shower (or other heavy use). You don't need stored hot water during the night.
    Also - if you always have to mix cold water with the hot water (because the hot is too hot) turn down the dial and let the boiler heat to a lower temperature.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sharp_Eyes wrote: »
    I don't use 'em on shopping though. I save them up and use them for other rewards similar to Tescos Clubcard scheme. You've got cinema tickets, days out, spa treats etc. It's just not worth it to spend your points in store.
    So are you saying you value Sainsbury's points as worth the same as Tesco's points? I.e. the points from £1 spent in Sainsbury's is worth twice what the points from £1 spent in Tesco's is to you?
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Sharp_Eyes Posts: 99 Forumite
    LuCiPh33R wrote: »
    Don't do it! Boiling water uses an amazing amount of energy - it's one of the reason desalinisation plants cost so much money to run. Invest in a proper water bottle and a bottle brush and clean it out properly, then fill it with tap water.

Having been raised in a tropical country where it's required that you boil your drinking water, and as I continue to travel to countries where this is a requirement, I always have and will continue to boil my water even in the UK. Articles like this will only serve to strengthen my belief in this practise:

June 26, 2008

News in brief: Parasite is found in tapwater supplies

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;}
    Parasite is found in tapwater supplies
    People in Northamptonshire are being told to boil tapwater used for drinking after a bug was found to have contaminated supplies (David Rose writes).

Anglian Water found the Cryptosporidium parasite during routine tests in a sample from supplies to Northampton, Daventry and surrounding villages. The parasite causes stomach upsets and diarrhoea. About 250,000 people are said to be affected. Those with weak immune systems are likely to be most seriously hit.
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • NikkyWikky
    NikkyWikky Posts: 61 Forumite
    Always eat before going shopping. This will avoid impulse buys especially when walking past the bakery section.
  • Sharp_Eyes
    So are you saying you value Sainsbury's points as worth the same as Tesco's points? I.e. the points from £1 spent in Sainsbury's is worth twice what the points from £1 spent in Tesco's is to you?

See ths article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/loyalty-scheme-tricks#worth

I would prefer to shop at Asda or Lidl whose prices trump the savings at either Sainsbury's or Tesco from a loyalty card! However my nearest ones are over 7 miles away. My nearest Tesco is about 4 miles away and my nearest Sainsbury's (in the same compound as Boots) is less than a mile away. So, yes, it's worth it to me because I do most of my shopping there whereas I only visit Tesco about 3 or 4 times a year! I also get points on my Nectar card for other things...
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • Sharp_Eyes
    You can save a bundle on clothes if you buy them on eBay...even brand name clothes. A lot of Brand New With Tags and Brand New With Out Tags are available for under a tenner...under a FIVER if you're lucky. This includes shipping!

Summertime? Stock up on your winter clothing.
    Wintertime? Stock up on your summer clothing.

Have a Nectar card? If you go through Nectar eStores you get a point for every pound you spend on a Buy it Now or winning bid.

Similarly, you can get points if you shop at Amazon and other online e-tailers.
  • annapantscats
    annapantscats Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    I always add a bit of warm water to any bottles of shampoo or conditioner that appear empty. Then give them a good shake, and you get 2 or 3 more uses out of them. ;)
    2008 gig list... Nickelback + Staind (OMG...Staind ROCKED!!), Roger Waters, Infadels, Pendulum, The Police, K T Tunstall, Breed 77, Biffy Clyro....oh, and Motorhead :D
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These are things I always do, in spite of the rolling eyes of my relatives:

3. Always ask if your leftovers can be doggy-bagged when you eat out at restaurants - or better still, take tupperware with you. Obviously, this is more the thing to try at restaurants that do take-aways anyway (in which case you might get free tupperware - hurrah!), rather than a 5-star posh place!
    4. Save old margarine tubs and takeaway containers to use for food storage.

I thought it was only my mum (aged 83) who went out for dinner with a Vitalite box for the leftovers. It's a family joke now. When she gets it out we either hum the Vitalite theme tune (aka the Israelites) or the little bit from Jaws that gets played when the shark makes his appearance...:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure