🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Waste Carriers License - fines?

Options

Comments

• arfurrrr
    arfurrrr Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    needs to be done every time you take an unwanted item away from a house/site etc... this means you have taken responsibility for that waste....

but he is leaving their old shower which is their property with them .
    Arf :think:
  • saver6
    saver6 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    So wait... I didn't know anything about all this. Hubby is self-employed handyman and has been for the last year. Inevitably this involves removing old stuff from houses etc, and as he does this and takes it to the tip, he needs this licence?? And also needs to get a customer to "sign over" the waste when he leaves? I agree about ensuring waste is dealt with properly, but the note thing seems OTT...

Just looking and it says about brokers and carriers... which would hubby be as I don't think it's abundantly clear really.
  • owner
    owner Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    saver6 wrote: »
    So wait... I didn't know anything about all this. Hubby is self-employed handyman and has been for the last year. Inevitably this involves removing old stuff from houses etc, and as he does this and takes it to the tip, he needs this licence?? And also needs to get a customer to "sign over" the waste when he leaves? I agree about ensuring waste is dealt with properly, but the note thing seems OTT...

Just looking and it says about brokers and carriers... which would hubby be as I don't think it's abundantly clear really.

What do you mean by 'tip' (Household Waste Recycling Centre ?) he shouldn't be taking any trade waste there anyway.
  • saver6
    saver6 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    It's such small quantities that yes, he's been using the household one. The staff there have not stopped him, but then they probably just assume it's household waste. Which it is, just not from our household. Which is why we thought it would be ok there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting this, just trying to get the facts right so that we can fix it and do it correctly. If we need this licence, so be it.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most tradesmen I've used do not remove small items (unless they intend to salvage parts off an item) but leave them or put them in dustbin. Metal items I always keep until I have a pile then they are taken to scrap metal dealer.

With large items advice has been to hire skip beforehand.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    saver6 wrote: »

you hubby will need a waste carriers licence, he does not need a broker's license,

He also needs to dispose of the waste in a trade way, this normally means a speical license or permission from the council or amenity site.

Your hubby will need a written confirmation or permission slip for each visit, and he needs to keep these, as these are his 'paper chain' to where he has disposed of his waste regardless of how small amount.

At present he can not prove he has disposed of the waste correctly, so therefore could end up being fined.

I would also suggest any tradesmen/person that leave rubbish/waste with the house/site owner get a written letter stating that they are taking responsibility of disposing of their own building waste in the appropriate manner.

If you have an questions,concerns or want any info the enviroment agency are really helpfull, and will advice you on the right licences and exemptions etc that you should have for your business

I have just renewed my licences and exemptions
    Work to live= not live to work
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Most tradesmen I've used do not remove small items (unless they intend to salvage parts off an item) but leave them or put them in dustbin. Metal items I always keep until I have a pile then they are taken to scrap metal dealer.

With large items advice has been to hire skip beforehand.

technically this is breaking the law, as its only general household waste that should be in the bin, and even if they are taking the 'salvage parts' to take to the scrap merchants they should have a carriers licence as this 'salvaged part' is unwanted by you, so is classed as waste..

basically any unwanted item that is removed from a site/building/garden etc is classed as waste.
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to say the Waste carriers licence is NOT well publicised. My oh has been a self employed builder for about four years now and only heard about the licence last year because of an advert on the radio.
    I don't know why they have not made it more clear to the genenral public - to catch them out and make a sack of money from the fines? Was it just coincidence the agent was in the layby watching??
    OP I hope he gets this sorted and buys his waste licence.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So does this mean that Currys and Comet - who both offer to take away old electrical appliances when new ones delivered - need waste carrier licences.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    So does this mean that Currys and Comet - who both offer to take away old electrical appliances when new ones delivered - need waste carrier licences.

yes they do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills