Amazon Prime membership -

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gould456 wrote: »
    I to am faced with the same problem. I just checked my bank account this morning and found £47.97 taken from my account from amazon prime.

I didnt sign up to this rubbish i only bought a dvd worth £5 about a month ago and now i have a charge of nearly 50 quid.

This was not clear to me when i bought the dvd i have emailed them this morning and i will let you all know the outcome

well yes you did
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    well yes you did
    Custardy ....

I was going to post the same as you ... but have now got to the stage, I just can not be bothered!!

I wish people would the t&cs .... they are very clear ....

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • custardy
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    Custardy ....

I was going to post the same as you ... but have now got to the stage, I just can not be bothered!!

I wish people would the t&cs .... they are very clear ....

Mark

im grumpy just now so i dont mind :D
  • slig
    slig Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Agh, I signed up for the prime trial and definitely selected to not renew (I'm very careful about these things, plus I've logged into my prime account for the first time today and it was set to not renew), but I've just realised I was charged back in November for full membership. I've ordered a few things in December so it's not going to let me cancel and get my money back automatically. I've emailed Amazon but I'm worried they won't believe me. Has anyone been in this situation? I feel really ripped off by a company I've always liked :(.
    Debt at LBM (17/10/08) £5727.61 Debt free date 31/08/09
  • slig
    slig Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    slig wrote: »
    Agh, I signed up for the prime trial and definitely selected to not renew (I'm very careful about these things, plus I've logged into my prime account for the first time today and it was set to not renew), but I've just realised I was charged back in November for full membership. I've ordered a few things in December so it's not going to let me cancel and get my money back automatically. I've emailed Amazon but I'm worried they won't believe me. Has anyone been in this situation? I feel really ripped off by a company I've always liked :(.

Sorted now. They replied to my message within a few hours and I'm getting a full refund. I'm pleasantly surprised (although it was their fault in the first place, but I still thought it'd be harder than that to get my money back).
    Debt at LBM (17/10/08) £5727.61 Debt free date 31/08/09
  • elektra-2007
    Options
    I didnt sign upto prime knowingly, i clicked on the option for postage to see what it was, then choose the supersaver delivery. Then 3 months later they took the money. I emailed them they were great refunded straight away. After that order I didnt even look at my amazon account so I had no idea. Im glad I wasnt making an order for one of my family using their card as it would have been taken from their card.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 February 2010 at 2:08PM
    Options
    It's unfair of people to be critical of those who have fallen into this trap.

I am normally as careful as one can be about not being caught by these things, but it happened to me too.

What was disappointing (and this has been mentioned by several people) is that I've always regarded Amazon as "the good guys", and scrupulously fair. However, this has been set up deliberately to catch people out. For instance, unlike every other transaction I do with Amazon, there is no email confirmation of the transaction. Last year, they took the money, but refused to refund on the the basis that I'd used it to make a purchase.

I just looked at my credit card statement today, and see that they have taken another £49.00. Despite last year's furious correspondence, there was no email to warn me it was about to happen, and no email to confirm that it had already happened, and how to stop it happening.

Fortunately I haven't made any recent orders, so am able to cancel online by clicking on Your Account > Settings > Prime Settings.

I expect more of Amazon. They have dipped in my estimation, and I'll look at other online book and DVD retailers from now on.

Good thread. I would have missed the information about cancelling online if I'd not searched here to see if anyone else had been stung.
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
  • custardy
    Options
    brasso wrote: »
    It's unfair of people to be critical of those who have fallen into this trap.

I am normally as careful as one can be about not being caught by these things, but it happened to me too.

What was disappointing (and this has been mentioned by several people) is that I've always regarded Amazon as "the good guys", and scrupulously fair. However, this has been set up deliberately to catch people out. For instance, unlike every other transaction I do with Amazon, there is no email confirmation of the transaction. Last year, they took the money, but refused to refund on the the basis that I'd used it to make a purchase.

I just looked at my credit card statement today, and see that they have taken another £49.00. Despite last year's furious correspondence, there was no email to warn me it was about to happen, and no email to confirm that it had already happened, and how to stop it happening.

Fortunately I haven't made any recent orders, so am able to cancel online by clicking on Your Account > Settings > Prime Settings.

I expect more of Amazon. They have dipped in my estimation, and I'll look at other online book and DVD retailers from now on.

Good thread. I would have missed the information about cancelling online if I'd not searched here to see if anyone else had been stung.

so you didnt bother to read what you signed up to or select do not renew
    then after being annoyed last year,did nothing again
  • bellrooster
    bellrooster Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yikes, I'm so glad I saw this thread as I bought a pan of Amazon last Friday and at the checkout page I clicked what I thought at the time was 'try amazon prime delivery for free' and I've just assumed that it was a free postage thing that you could sign up to if you liked it, not that it would automatically update and charge me! :eek:

I've set it to not update now so luckily I won't be charged, but I would've been if I hadn't seen this!

I think when you have bought stuff of amazon before, you're so used to the checkout procedure that you don't perhaps read through it as closely so it's easy to make mistakes like these.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    so you didnt bother to read what you signed up to or select do not renew
    then after being annoyed last year,did nothing again

You're an inflammatory fool..

The entire point of this thread, which has whooshed right over your head, is that it's extremely easy to miss the implications of how Amazon are marketing this product. As I stated, Amazon are normally extremely ethical and transparent about the way they deal with their customers. With Prime, they are not -- or certainly were not when I first fell into the trap. Not only is it ambiguous that you are requesting the service in the first place, they do not send any email confirmation of the transaction, nor any warning of the renewal, or even any notice of the renewal after they have taken £49 from your account. It's very unlike Amazon, and disappointing. If they did any of these things, which I'd suggest should be standard customer service, this thread wouldn't exist, and they wouldn't have all these disappointed customers on their hands.

As for "doing nothing again" this year, my correspondence with them last year, in which I made it very clear that I didn't want the service, and which they said I had to have because I'd already bought a book since paying the subscription (which I had no idea I'd paid, as they didn't inform me) might have tipped them off to the possibility that I did not want to renew, but no, they made the remarkable judgment that I would be happy to pay yet again. And of course, didn't warn me.

Spin it how you want, but this is a very misleading sale, and IMO, unethically managed by Amazon.
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure