🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free Giveaway CDs and DVDs with newspapers

Options

Comments

• Adam_Oliver_Fan_Club
    Options
    There is a free CD of Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield in it.

I'll leave it to 'Quoia' to post further details on it.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I'll leave it to 'Quoia' to post further details on it.

THANKS !!!!

Err... well lets see ... err ... it's a CD - oh you've said that.

err.. it's by Mike Oldfield ... err .. - oh you've said that too.

err .. it's called TUBULAR BELLS .. err ..umm - blast beaten to it again.

Err..... Track listing - you've not covered that !!!!!!

The album has 1 track (oh dear that's a short list)

the track is called TUBULAR BELLS (well that's a surprise)

On the original record, 33-1/3 rpm LP vinyl album, (that's a 12" diameter black plastic disc with a hole in the middle - need to explain for anyone under about 25) it had 2 tracks, sort of (ish)
    Side A had TUBULAR BELLS part 1 and side B had TUBULAR BELLS part 2.

I suppose there would have only been 1 track if the record had been physically bigger and/or could have held the entire track on one side !
    Then again most likely they wouldn't have wasted the other side of the record however big it was so it would still probably had at least another track on the B side so there would still have been 2.
    Maybe Mike would have made TB almost 2 hours long instead just the 50 minutes (approx) if the capacity was such that what he actually composed would have fit on just one side ....... err sorry I seem to have gone off the point... err where was I ?

Err yes....
    Side A had TUBULAR BELLS part 1 and side B had TUBULAR BELLS part 2 (because that's how it fit !!)
    Part one is 25 minutes long and part two is 23 minutes and 50 seconds.......

... so I presume the CD is 48:50

It was first released in 1973 and was the first ever release on Richard Branson's VIRGIN recording label. Without Mike Oldfield it is possible Richard Branson's empire may never have happened. Without Richard Branson we may never have heard Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells.

TUBULAR BELLS was used as theme music for the film THE EXORCIST

err... Oh... umm.. yes ! It looks like this

Mike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover.jpg

Oh.... and just to stop any confusion.... whilst there ARE Tubular Bells
    LouiseandBells.jpg
    (or Chimes as they are known) {and no that isn't Mike Oldfield}
    on the album, there are a lot of other instuments as well !!
    And Mike plays almost all of them !

Part 1 - Grand Piano, Glockenspiel, Farfisa organ, Bass guitar, Electric guitar, Speed guitar, Taped motor drive amplifier organ chord, Mandolin-like guitar, Fuzz guitars, Assorted percussion, Acoustic guitar, Flageolet, Honky tonk, Lowrey organ, Tubular Bells.

Part 2 - Electric guitars, Farfisa organ, Bass guitar, Acoustic guitars, Piano, Speed electric guitars, Lowrey organ, Concert timpani, Guitars sounding like bagpipes, Piltdown man, Hammond organ, Spanish guitar, Moribund chorus, Mandolin, Violin/fiddle.

Think that about covers it !
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou Quoia for making me giggle on a Monday morning, would click thank's but it's not working for me everytime I click on the thanks button I just end up going to top of the thread ?? ( oops same if I click on smilies just tried the confused one??)
    Booo!!!
  • tmb2000
    tmb2000 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options

Surely however this will not be the album described so eloquently by Quola but a live recording? No way will Virgin be giving this one away - even if they have sold a few copies over the years.

If it was the original album it will be a very interesting development on CD freebies but bet you its a live version.

Been away for 3 weeks but don't seem like I missed much DVD wise?
  • quoia
    Options
    tmb2000 wrote: »

Surely however this will not be the album described so eloquently by Quola but a live recording? No way will Virgin be giving this one away - even if they have sold a few copies over the years.

If it was the original album it will be a very interesting development on CD freebies but bet you its a live version.

But it is and YES they are !

QUOTE: The Mail on Sunday brings you yet another first in newspaper CDs. Free inside you'll find a unique album - the complete, original studio recording of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

This is one of the greatest classic rock albums of all time - and as the first title to appear on Richard Branson's Virgin label, it changed the face of popular music for ever.

tubbellsMS1404_468x451.jpg

Brilliantly created from thousands of separate recordings, it features Mike Oldfield playing instruments as diverse as glockenspiels, guitars and, of course, tubular bells.

More than two million copies were sold on vinyl in Britain, but many fans of this masterpiece will find they don't have it on CD.

Now here's your chance to get an absolutely free copy the complete and original recording.

Don't miss Tubular Bells, free inside next week's Mail on Sunday. Demand is bound to be huge so please order your copy now!

(11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
  • tmb2000
    tmb2000 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'll be - thanks Quoia : seldom has my flabber been so gasted.

Wonder what will follow next?

This is first time any paper has given away a full album like this, very interesting prospect for similar freebies of albums that sales have been relatively exhausted? Guess if they are going to give us full films why not full albums - esp as Mail is sure to sell many extra copies with what is without a doubt an all time classic??
  • jmarko
    jmarko Posts: 4,137 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    tmb2000 wrote: »
    Well I'll be - thanks Quoia : seldom has my flabber been so gasted.

Wonder what will follow next?

...a balanced story... :rotfl:
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • EdCov
    EdCov Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    jmarko wrote: »
    ...a balanced story... :rotfl:

Is that a DVD or CD?

:rotfl:
  • mcallister1
    mcallister1 Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    bump
    In case anyone is interested in Glory days in the Mail or Dr Seuss cd in the telegraph.
  • quoia
    Options
    Starting in tomorrow's Sunday Mirror - the 1st of 14 CD albums

Tommorow is ELVIS PRESLEY

The next 13 are token collect and send away OR voucher redemption (I presume at Somerfields)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family