how much is water?

Options
2»

Comments

• beyond_skint
    beyond_skint Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    The South West unfortunately has the highest water charges in UK.

I think that the combined water and sewerage charge is approx £4 a cubic metre.

A cubic metre is 1000 litres, so each litre from the tap costs 0.4p

So if you can get a 2 litre bottle from Tesco for under a penny - then go for it!!!!

That's interesting. We live in Cornwall and we have the highest rates in the country :mad::mad: Why we do I don't know. I guess we have the bonny duke to keep :mad::mad:

We are window cleaners and we are on a meter, we fill up at other places. We go on window cleaning forums and people everywhere else seem to pay about 0.01 and 0.02 ours is 0.04 or 0.4 something like that.
  • humphreyharte
    Options
    totally broke---thx for the info, even if it was bad news!! first floor flat-and i thought that i had bad enough luck with a pram being first floor!! do u no how i'd have the flat "assessed"- i read somwhere(on here i think) if it cant be fitted u can have it assessed so its cheaper......is that true? if so why isnt everyone doing it???
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    totally broke---thx for the info, even if it was bad news!! first floor flat-and i thought that i had bad enough luck with a pram being first floor!! do u no how i'd have the flat "assessed"- i read somwhere(on here i think) if it cant be fitted u can have it assessed so its cheaper......is that true? if so why isnt everyone doing it???

I don't think that being on the first floor - or higher - prevents a meter being fitted.

All properties built after 1990 had to have a meter fitted unless there were exceptional reasons why it couldn't be done.

I owned a third floor flat in a listed converted warehouse and that had a meter.

When you apply for a meter, you will be offered an assessed charge if a meter cannot be fitted, or that it would cost the water company too much money to fit one.

The assessed charge is based on the average charge for the number of bedrooms for some companies, or the number of people in the building for other companies.

So in practice an assessed charge will not always be cheaper than the charge based on the Rateable Value(RV).

If you live in a 'posh' flat with a sea view etc with a high RV, then an assessed charge is almost certain to be cheaper.

If you live in a 'run down' flat in a less desirable area etc with a low RV, then an assessed charge might be more expensive.

You need to work out the charege based on your RV and then find out if an assessed charge is cheaper.
  • humphreyharte
    Options
    ok thanks! i would thank you properly, so it says that you have been thanked but i cant figure out how to do this(only been on this forum for a month or so!!) but yeah, that helps, found out RV, by ringing up. then ask if they can come round and fit a meter. if not, just decide what to go for. i hope we cn get a meter, ive just got some of those bags from trent water that u put in the toilet to save a litre of water with every flush!

sorry, i ramble!!!!!
  • Jaycee1972
    Options
    Hi

Just had my bill for the past 6 months and have only used 22 cubic meters. My bill was for £71.18 with STW. I have been paying £23 per month which is what they calculated for me and my 2 year old son. However they have agreed after a bit of discussion to reduce it to £18 which should be more than enough. I am currently £54.99 in credit. The chap on the phone tried to say if I moved house, the bill might be more and the credit would help then! I told him I would rather have my money to look after than let them :) He warned me that if I go into debit then they will have to increase the payments again but that is fine.

I am pretty careful with water, not doing things leaving the tap running eg veg/teeth and washing up once a day. I tend to use the economy or short wash on the washing machine and have more showers than baths. I also don't flush the loo after my son goes to bed (mainly so as not to wake him as he is in the next room!).

Jane x

Jaycee x

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    We moved from the SW this year and were paying about £75 a month for a three bed semi. Now we're with Anglian Water on a meter and paying £35 a month (for six of us). We're not that careful - not wasteful - and don't have a shower, so it's baths all the way. Washing machine and dishwasher on at least once a day but don't use much outside.

I seem to remember SWW claiming that holidaymakers were the reason for high rates - ironic that we had far more rain there than we do here and yet paid soooo much more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure