how much is water?

Options
my partner and i, and our 3month old baby, are hoping to move out in the next month.

apart from when at uni ew have always lived with family, so fairly inexperienced with bills.

so, i was wondering, how is a normal water bill worked out? and also, if you are on a metr in plymouth, devon, how much is 2litres of water from the tap?

would it be cheaper to buy tesco value(or such like) bottled water than run 2 litres from a tap?

thanks!!!!

Comments

• Lazy_Ike
    Lazy_Ike Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    my partner and i, and our 3month old baby, are hoping to move out in the next month.

apart from when at uni ew have always lived with family, so fairly inexperienced with bills.

so, i was wondering, how is a normal water bill worked out? and also, if you are on a metr in plymouth, devon, how much is 2litres of water from the tap?

would it be cheaper to buy tesco value(or such like) bottled water than run 2 litres from a tap?

thanks!!!!
    It seems likely you will be supplied by South West Water
    http://www.southwestwater.co.uk
    If on a meter charges include an annual standing charge which varies dependent on the size of supply, but for a normal home I think this is a 22mm meter where the standing charge is £29.88. In addition you pay £1.57 per cubic meter. A CuMec is 1000 litres, and the "average" family uses about 157 litres per day. There is also a sewerage tariff based on the input meter size (£12.60 for the 22mm) plus a charge for foul, surface and highway waste water of £2.7977 per cubic meter, which charge is based on your metered usage and a calculation of how much surface and highway (if any) waste water enters the sewage system. The property will have been assessed for this last. There is also a VAT component.
    But in short bottled water will not be cheaper than tap.
    Charges can be seen here:
    http://www.southwestwater.co.uk/media/pdf/g/1/Final_CS08_Web_Cover.pdf
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The South West unfortunately has the highest water charges in UK.

I think that the combined water and sewerage charge is approx £4 a cubic metre.

A cubic metre is 1000 litres, so each litre from the tap costs 0.4p

So if you can get a 2 litre bottle from Tesco for under a penny - then go for it!!!!
  • humphreyharte
    Options
    haha crumbs!! 0.4p!!!!! then why does everyone complain about the cost?????? lol. im sure it will 'all add up' but everyone makes it sound a hell of a lot more expensive than that!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks you two!!!!
  • Cardew
    Options
    haha crumbs!! 0.4p!!!!! then why does everyone complain about the cost?????? lol. im sure it will 'all add up' but everyone makes it sound a hell of a lot more expensive than that!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks you two!!!!

Don't forget the average person in a house uses 60,000 litres(60 cubic metres) a year. So that is approx £250 per person!

So if you are 'average' the 3 of you will pay £750 a year.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Don't forget the average person in a house uses 60,000 litres(60 cubic metres) a year. So that is approx £250 per person!

So if you are 'average' the 3 of you will pay £750 a year.

Where do you get that figure from? It sounds an awful lot compared to what we use :confused:

It's a year last week since our meter was fitted and we've only used 75 cubic metres, in that time, costing £260 pa. Rates previously were £450 pa.

We have the usual appliances (DW/WM) which are run several times a week, a shower and bath, plus a large garden to water etc. I even left the garden hose running for several hours the other day as forgot to turn it off before we went out :eek:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Cardew
    Options
    Where do you get that figure from? It sounds an awful lot compared to what we use :confused:

It's a year last week since our meter was fitted and we've only used 75 cubic metres, in that time, costing £260 pa. Rates previously were £450 pa.

We have the usual appliances (DW/WM) which are run several times a week, a shower and bath, plus a large garden to water etc. I even left the garden hose running for several hours the other day as forgot to turn it off before we went out :eek:

I got the costs from SW water site,(post #3 gives the link) as I said in my first post they are by far the most expensive area in the country.

Their rate per cubic meter is over twice the rate for Severn Trent in the Midlands.

There are hundreds of site on the web(google average water consumption) that give the average consumption per person as approx 150 to 170 litres a day(55 to 62 cubic metres a year)
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe we don't use as much water as I thought then, although we certainly don't skimp on water usage :confused:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • humphreyharte
    Options
    Okie dokes, thanks. i think as soon as i get in there ill ask about a metre. Or (off thread, sorry) will i have to wait for the first 6months is up? if i havent said well be renting, btw!
  • chrisyklx
    chrisyklx Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    my water company is welsh water and i pay water rates bill is around £320 per year.also it is soft water and can taste no difference between bottle water and tap water. but i only live about 3 miles from the resooivoir and water station, and also live on the welsh mountains. travel to cardiff and the water tastes disgusting
  • TotallyBroke
    TotallyBroke Posts: 1,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you will be renting you will have to ask the landlord's permission to put in a meter. If your property is in a block it can not be fitted. For some stupid unexplainable reason the water board can not fix a meter to a property that is not on the ground floor. I know I've tried to get mine done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure