PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help - cooking with steamer

Options

Comments

• aurora_borealis_2
    Options
    About the same time as boiling then?

Thanks, that's a big help :)
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I usually start the potatoes in the bottom pan, carrots on next in the steamer bit, frozen peas and corn next and if I'm being really frugal, a plate with some fish on top, covered with the steamer lid.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    :o:o:o
    well I have 1 :o

and I love it!

I use it instead of all other pans now as its easier to.....(when I cook)

so the big pan has the potatoes in, sweet/new/for mash! (mmmmmmmm) then its longer cooking veg, carrots, swede. Top one as other have said quicker cooking veg, snapped pieces of broccolli, mange tout/peas/beans etc......

My Dad was impressed at christmas, my Mum wasn't impressed with him tho!:rotfl: She's had 1 for yonks (over 20 years)

She has a plug n play one now.....its all dismantle and fiddly:eek: . Mine is a bung it all in the d/washer, its great for mashing too, Mum has too put her spuds in a clean seperate bowl!
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • aurora_borealis_2
    Options
    I'm getting a bit excited now ... *sad*

It was only £9.37 at Morrisons too!
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    bargain!

mine was around £15, 4/5 years ago!
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm getting a bit excited now ... *sad*

It was only £9.37 at Morrisons too!

Bargain! You'll wonder how you lived without it!

Timings - potatoes just the same as normal in the bottom pan then add the veggies as and when ... my OH likes his veggies well done. As in putting the sprouts on last October! So I tend to put them all on together :o
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Options
    AB, I love my steamer too. Bought one of the modern electric ones, and couldn't get used to it at all. Gave that away and bought the 3 tier saucepan type again. I just steam for the time I'd boil, works every time, and the veg are just as we like them. Just remember the bottom tier is the hottest ( I mean the first steamer tier iyswim:D ) so always put your toughest veg in there. I say this because once when I was checking the veggies I put the tiers back in the *wrong* order and the broccoli got overdoneicon9.gif
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queenie wrote: »
    You can cook a whole meal in a 3 -tier steamer. For example, wrap some fish in foil and add to one tier and cook your pototoes and veggies in another tier (salmon is especially lovely).

This is just what I do!:T saves electric and is healthy too!
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    . Just remember the bottom tier is the hottest ( I mean the first steamer tier iyswim:D ) so always put your toughest veg in there. I say this because once when I was checking the veggies I put the tiers back in the *wrong* order and the broccoli got overdoneicon9.gif

This is a good point!:T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i love my steamer, i use it all the time, veggies taste so much better - haven't used it for potatoes as i dont really like them - as for salt i never add any.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport