PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help - cooking with steamer

Options

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you can even boil eggs in your steamer, if youre having salad withnew potatoes, you can put your eggs in the same bowl and they will be hard boiled. not many things that you can' steam
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Steamed sponge pudding with treacle or chocolate sauce, light pudding spilt with susgar and butter.......chirstmas pudding..........salmon ,keep rice hot I have used a steamer for years, use the veg water to make either gravy or soup.

Put a stew in the bottom pan and cook the veg in one pan and a pudding in the top pan, just make sure there is plenty of liquid in the stew.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • Kataratarina
    Options
    sorry for torturing people today but my mum gave me a steamer and of course shes went out so i cant ask he how to use it.

theres a pic on the side which has veg for 20 minutes, so ive put cold water?? on the bottom layer and it seems to be steaming, so do i just leave it for 20mins and the bottom heats the water which in turn causes steam and then the veggies will be cooked???

arrrghhhhhhh!:confused:
    Now a mother to my beautiful daughter Olivia
    Born 10th Dec 2010 weighing 7lb 1oz
    :D:A
  • metrochick15
    Options
    Depends what vegetables you are cooking. Some may need a little bit longer. Beans and Cabbage need longer - up to 40 mins
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Does it have a light to say when it is ready? On my old one, you put cold water in and then timed from when the light went off.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,367 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I always give the veggies a poke with a knife to see if done, as metrochick15 says, depends on veggies, carrots for instance take a bit longer than cabbage

I tend to add as time goes by, so carrots in first, leave abit, then add say celery, leave a bit, add cabbage / sprouts and parsnips

I have one on gas hob, not electric, and find 20 to 25 mins is ample

I wait until water is boiling before adding the veg
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Tak a look at this thread - Help - cooking with steamer! There are lots of tips there to assist you ;) I'll add this thread to that one later.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • gally56
    gally56 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I recently bought a steamer can anyone adivse me on what meats I can cook in a steamer and how long they generally take from their frozen state we have a freezer full of chicken breasts, Burgers and sausages but would love other recommendatons also can you steam potatoes for mashing have done new potatoes which were lovely..
    Many thanks
  • narabanekeater
    Options
    Morning guys
    Ive been given a steamer by a friend but she hasnt the instructions to it. Its a tefal steamer aqua timer and has a white basket with it
    I dont suppose anyone on here has the same model and could talke me through please how to use it? also how longs things take in it etc? is it ok to out frozen veg into it. As you can tell im very excited about my new gift:j Many Thanks
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport