PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Options

Comments

• boredofbeingathome
    boredofbeingathome Posts: 15,657 Forumite
    Options
    Well you know i have just had an enjoyable few mins catching up..and wow, some more great ideas here..ta very much for the beans with real meat...ooooo.

And Mr.Bob, really wants a steamed pud now, but with treacle..i usually microwave them, and use eggs..so i am going to have a go and put a few in slow cooker....Will have to splash out on some new ramekins though as i want to try a couple of ideas and put some apple in as well...i quite have a fancy for mango as well, nice and sweet....hmm must have an experiment.

keep up the good work everyone..and as for the snails..not good! bleeurrghh...good tip about copper though.I'm a blue pellet and boot girl!
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    I'm here watching and learning as usual. I shall also wave to you and ISOM as I bomb down the M4 later tonight to go to visit my dad the other side of Bridgend. Hope you ordered good weather for me this weekend!:j

Well I didn't exactly 'bomb' past Cardiff (5 miles of roadworks!!!!) and the weather suited ISOMs allotment more than building sandcastles on the beach but we still managed to get to Porthcawl and spend a fortune in the arcade!
  • Bunny200
    Options
    TOTALLY OFF TOPIC FOR A SECOND!

What the fudge cake???? WHERE DID ALL YOU FELLOW WELSHIES COME FROM??? :eek: :eek: :eek: I only ever knew the Weezl was a welshie being over in Cardiff. Im the other direction over in good ole Port Talbot.

Now theres Bunny and ISOM too?? where have you both been lurking?

Now you see I'm from Maesteg originally but moved to Sussex about 14 years ago, I went back and got my passport stamped on the bridge this weekend for the first time in ages (naughty bunny!)
  • Bunny200
    Options
    If you go into weezl's profile, you'll get a link to her homepage ;)

Penny. x

Also if you google Weezl her blog is the 4th entry! I think that makes you famous?!
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many people have just googled 'weezl'?.....I know I just did!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skintscotchlass just posted this on the flylady thread but I think it applies to all OSers so here you are an article that gives us a NAME!!
    http://www.fabulousmag.co.uk/features/feature_frugalistas_issue_023.php
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    But...on the plus side warm hands I believe 'twas told somewheres are one of the signs of a healer (ie giving healing) - hence why my therapy couch has been put in storage elsewhere for when I have time....and will experiment a bit mores with it....

Interesting that, I have been told I have a bit of a natural talent/ instinct for massage...

Well, I can confirm that both snails and slugs dislike coffee.. did my usual round of picking them out of the containers this afternoon then put some coffee grounds down, experimented with a bit on the paving stones and put the removed snails and slugs next to it, and they really did not like it!

Been foraging this afternoon as well.. nettles & dandelions which became a sort of pesto.. and elderflowers for cordial - yum!
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • Bunny200
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    Skintscotchlass just posted this on the flylady thread but I think it applies to all OSers so here you are an article that gives us a NAME!!
    http://www.fabulousmag.co.uk/features/feature_frugalistas_issue_023.php

Frugalista! Love it!
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    I had an epiphany as I was driving back from church; yesterday I was out charity shopping ( :heart2: sigh) and when I was thirsty popped into Somerfield and bought the cheapest bottle of water for 50p. Wouldn't normally buy a drink but 50p seemed cheap until I met this forum, that would feed a Weezl for a day, wow.
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • BARGAINHUNTER!
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    sandy2, Hello! I'm kinda tempted! Just found this on an amusing website, I think the author's English is superb, but she is obviously translating from French in her head:

"Initial Preparations
    Traditional Method : After the escargot have passed a fasting period for 5 or 6 days in wooden boxes (never in plastic unless they have a bottom well ventilated, the objectives of which is to make them dry) they should be washed in running water or with a garden spout. Next they are put in a big container a layer of escargot with a hand full of rock salt. Follow this with another layer of escargot and another hand full of rock salt, etc. The escargot will issue a lot of foam in what is called disgorging themselves. We braise them for a while and then wash them again very carefully before scalding them. It is difficult and in my opinion, useless.

Personally : I never proceed as described above, even for the escargot gathered in the wild. I put them in a box of white wood (wood without tannic acid) with a bottom grating and raised 15 cm (5 in) above the ground so they can never touch the ground (to prevent them from eating the dirt or anything else). The first evening I wash them thoroughly with a garden spout. That activates them so they empty their intestines. The same step I do on the second and sometimes third evenings.(Note : you can give them dill (anethum) these first two or three days to give them a good flavour). If
    they are very dirty, it may be necessary to wash them one by one. During next three days, I leave them to dry.

After these three days or the salt treatment above, the escargots are put into boiling water where they are left for three minutes after water is boiling again. Then they are removed from their shells. The hepatho-pancreas ("tortillon" in french) can be cut off or not depending on preference. Lovers of the Petit Gris prefer the entire escargot whereas it is preferable to remove the hepatho-pancreas of the Gros Gris or other big species. The raw flesh is then put into cold water saturated with salt for one-quarter hour. They are rinsed thoroughly with fresh water after which they are ready for cooking or freezing.

If you want to use the escargot shells, first wash them in soda powder, rinse several times and boil them to sterilise them."

:rotfl:sounds like quite a palaver eh?

Also wanted to post my saag aloo recipe:

Saag Aloo

Makes 12 servings

1 kg potatoes, - 29p, chop into ½ inch dice
    1 large 575g tin spinach- 77p, drained, keep the liquid
    500g chopped onions- 40p
    Dessertspoon Cumin,
    3 cloves garlic, 6p, chopped, crushed or grated
    ½ teaspoon chilli,
    fresh coriander, 5p, I used a tenth of a 50p bunch
    salt
    100ml veg oil - 9p

Start with a large pan, you’re going to make 12 portions of curry! Fry cumin and garlic and chilli in oil for a minute, then add the onions til coated and translucent, a few mins. Stir the cubes of potato in until coated, then add the spinach. Reduce heat, and simmer until the potato has cooked through, testing with a knife every 5 mins ish. When the curry gets too dry, add some of the reserved spinach liquid.

14p per serving, with 60g of rice and a HM naan bread, that’s your whole evening meal for 20p! JeniD, each portion contains 2 portions of your 5 a day.

BOB
    and ISOM if you used olive oil as a ‘healthy extra’, that’d be fine on a green day I think? It’s 8g of oil per serving, which is just under 2 tspns, so not loads! With rice rather than naan and rice I mean...:D

Love Weezl x

Yum - that sounds yum! Do you think I would be able to freeze this?
    MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay £414.26 a month/£5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: £414.26:jMortgage start 28/9/07 £46,217.00 :TMortgage balance as of 25/05/11 £24,490.58 :T
    Interest saved as of 25/05/11: £2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure