PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Options

Comments

• hmkn
    hmkn Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    sorry to bring up the subject of snails again, but firstly I'm pretty certain there are no toxic snails in the UK. All the foraging books/programmes I've ever read/seen say all British snails are edible. Can't swear 100% as I've never tried myself (too busy bringing carrier bagfuls of the little blighters back from new allotment to feed chickens :D But I figure they feed us indirectly as they make the hens happy so they lay more eggs :j )

Secondly, if anyone does get the urge to try them (and it's no different from shellfish really, I suppose...) please don't purge them with salt first. It's unnecessary and really cruel. When you think what salt does to slugs, there's no need to do that to a snail before you eat it! (Having said which, the slugs v my courgette plants has got to a personal level now, and if I didn't have hens to eat them I would be thinking up more elaborate tortures I'm sure ;) )
    So, please feed them carrot and let us know how you get on! I've heard they don't taste of much, especially if you cover them in garlic butter!

On a different subject, anybody that gets meat from a butcher could ask about pigs ears/tails and trotters. I get mine free, and the kids love the tails and trotters especially. The dog is very partial to a bit of ear!
    The trotters were liked just boiled, but are v popular in a Chinese-type plum sauce (I made some 'dipping' sauce from wild plums last autumn, and dilute it a bit). Some chopped up belly pork makes it more substantial. I buy a piece with the bone, bone it myself, which I do so badly I can use it for spare ribs, chop up some for the stew and make the rest into bacon (courtesy of H F-W). 3+ meals from one piece of meat (depending on how much you make into bacon and how much you put in the stew). It might not quite fit into Mr and Mrs W's budget, but for anyone not quite there yet it's good. And I feel less cheeky asking for freebies if I buy something too ;)

HMK
  • BARGAINHUNTER!
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    Skintscotchlass just posted this on the flylady thread but I think it applies to all OSers so here you are an article that gives us a NAME!!
    http://www.fabulousmag.co.uk/features/feature_frugalistas_issue_023.php

I read this article today in Fabulous magazine and thought immediately - thats me! Thats what I am! I popped the magazine in my bag and brought it home with me I was so impressed!!
    MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay £414.26 a month/£5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: £414.26:jMortgage start 28/9/07 £46,217.00 :TMortgage balance as of 25/05/11 £24,490.58 :T
    Interest saved as of 25/05/11: £2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    wow so loving this thread. def want to try the steam sponge pudding's. although hubby said he would prefer them the syrup rather than jam. so i'm gonna do a few of each i think.
    weezl74 what slow cooker do u have ? i have atiny cheap one from argos and i'm looking to getting a bigger one as family now bigger .
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Yum - that sounds yum! Do you think I would be able to freeze this?

I'm hoping so as im planning to make it tomorrow for work dinners for me...

I would imagine so as weexl feeds herself and AM, and the curry makes 12 portions - but maybe weezl herself can confirm or deny whether it's okay to be frozen...?
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • ZoeGirl_3
    ZoeGirl_3 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Have to admit I would never eat a snail, I have had my son cry once when I served something really weird (he was quite tired and it was the last straw) and if I served snails he might just leave home. Poor boy, he does love the frugal baking and LOVES pancakes, so he doesn't moan too much.

Still, I got two packets of choc biscuits in the mail today (prize I won) and I was dancing at the mail box. Free food!!!!!

For the people thinking of freezing bananas, if you do it in the skins just a note that the skins go black, and this doesnt harm the inside at all, and then when you want to use defrost, peel and use as normal. :j

Have a few ideas for using up stale bread if anyone is keen, since I seem to have more of that when I make my own than when I buy it...

Cheap Egg "Souffle"

6 stale slices thick cut bread (i use anything, bits, crusts, etc)
    some grated cheese (optional, up to you how much, or leave out)
    some mustard (again optional but does improve taste if you have it)
    3 eggs
    2 cups milk

Spread the bread with mustard (if using) and mix it in a dish with the grated cheese (if using). Or just break bread into chunks in the dish. Whisk the eggs and milk and pour over bread, making sure all bread is coated. Leave to stand for at least 30 mins for bread to absord liquids. Give it a mix up or two along the way. Bake uncovered for 30-45 mins depending on size of dish. Cooked when top is crisp and golden brown and centre is firm.

I love this stuff, have served it hot for lunch/dinner or cold for brekkie/lunch. I use reconstituted powdered milk, stale bread and free eggs,to VERY cheap for me. :rotfl:
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
    Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
    Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !! :mad:
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    ZoeGirl wrote: »
    For the people thinking of freezing bananas, if you do it in the skins just a note that the skins go black, and this doesnt harm the inside at all, and then when you want to use defrost, peel and use as normal.

I've never had any success peeling bananas frozen in their skins, so now i always peel them before freezing
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hmkn wrote: »
    On a different subject, anybody that gets meat from a butcher could ask about pigs ears/tails and trotters. I get mine free, and the kids love the tails and trotters especially. The dog is very partial to a bit of ear!

Hiya HMK,

Do you have any good recipes for pigs ears/tails? I've never eaten them before and wouldn't even have the fainest what to do with them!

xx
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Morning weezl! Have a good day :) Soooo many posts! Chuccked when I heard the news this am about food wastage. All I can say is Gordon Brown should have a meeting with our Weezl should he eh!! Bet she could teach him a thing or two! (behave!)
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning guys - inspired by this thread yesterday I have vowed to be more pro-active with everything food etc related.........when I first joined MSE I embraced OS big time, but over the last few months that has slipped somewhat.......as a result we have a chaotic house and budgets that although have good intentions, never get stuck to.

My aim is to be thoroughly back in the swing of things by the beginning of September when we have a new student lodger coming to stay for the school year....so that gives me 6 or 7 weeks to re-form my good habits, and work towards that elusive "yay I have stuck to my budget!" cheer!

So many of the great and the good from DFW have said how fab this thread is, so thanks guys for mentioning it, otherwise I may not have ventured over here!

Today has seen a good start, with OH bringing home food from a friend's house that they won't eat (they have this strange OCD thing going on whereby if a food is within about a month before of its sell by date, they "can't" eat it), that I am incredibly grateful for!!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    Skintscotchlass just posted this on the flylady thread but I think it applies to all OSers so here you are an article that gives us a NAME!!
    http://www.fabulousmag.co.uk/features/feature_frugalistas_issue_023.php

Love this site. Thank you. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family