PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help Please Dilemma With Our House

Options

Comments

• bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You mentioned that 1 agent said that part of the problem was the look of the front of the house.

If this is the case, then you need to get people to see beyond the front of the house. If you insist that your estate agent uses a floor plan, then people can see straight away the merits of your house rather than just assuming.

I think I found your house on rightmove, but was unsure. if I did have the right house, your agent hasn't done a floor plan and the details are scant to say the least on a property of your price.

As a buyer, I love floor plans. The company on some of the houses I have details for are done by a company called Particular plans.

www.particular-plans.co.uk

Looks like thats their website. Maybe they can help your agent out?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    How are you guys managing to identify the house and look at the details .... have I missed something?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • bagzithat
    Options
    How are you guys managing to identify the house and look at the details .... have I missed something?

Lol I was thinking that myself, but somehow you brain boxes on MSE always manage to suss everything out.

I don't know if this is allowed if not then please one of the mods remove it, here is the link to our house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-8582138.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Thanks again for all the advice....
    Nice to save.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yeah! I found it I found it!

And the agents details really should be better for the price of the house.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I dislike descriptions that read 3/4 or 6/7 bedrooms. I always think that they are wanting more money for an extra bedroom that is really a cupboard. If the 7th bedroom is big enough for a bed in it I'd call it 7 bedrooms. If it's not I'd say 6 bedrooms plus study. But maybe that is just me.

Is the property priced correctly for the area. Are you in the catchment area of a school that isn't doing well? Do you smoke, have lots of pets? (don't wish to be rude, just trying to think of things that may put people off).
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    OMG! Your lounge is certainly very striking!

Do you think that you need to keep it to your own personal taste or would you be better going with the neutrals that you have elsewhere within the house?

As it is, buyers do not see that the rest of the house is neutral, they may think that the entire house is more stylised to your tastes.

I personally think that the colour scheme is rather overpowering and would be off-putting to some.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• bagzithat
    Options
    The EA said he would put 6/7 bedrooms as putting 7 bedrooms makes the house to big, the 7th bedroom can be used as an office, at the moment we use all 6 bedrooms and the 7th is an office.

Yes the house is in a catchment area, with several private schools and all the schools in this area are very well known, people come as far as Middleton and Bolton as the schools are that good, we actually live on the road with the biggest private school in Greater Manchester St Bedes.

No we don't smoke and have no pets, and we dont have any viewers to put them off LOL.
    Nice to save.
  • bagzithat
    Options
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    OMG! Your lounge is certainly very striking!

Do you think that you need to keep it to your own personal taste or would you be better going with the neutrals that you have elsewhere within the house?

As it is, buyers do not see that the rest of the house is neutral, they may think that the entire house is more stylised to your tastes.

I personally think that the colour scheme is rather overpowering and would be off-putting to some.

Jay-Jay I agree with you 100% I don't like this room at all, this is the only room we haven't changed as the estate agents all of them said leave it, this is what will sell the house, this gives the house the WOW FACTOR?

We asked them today to remove that picture, we are taking more pictures ourself of the house and this room will not be included.
    The room is done in Arabic Mosaic all done by my husband.
    Nice to save.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    bagzithat wrote:
    Jay-Jay I agree with you 100% I don't like this room at all, this is the only room we haven't changed as the estate agents all of them said leave it, this is what will sell the house, this gives the house the WOW FACTOR?

We asked them today to remove that picture, we are taking more pictures ourself of the house and this room will not be included.
    The room is done in Arabic Mosaic all done by my husband.

I think that some will find it a little oerpowering or overdone or simply too personal (to you/hubbie). The photo probably doesn't do it justice and I'll bet it looks better when seen "in the flesh". Buyers are fickle bu88ers ;) that photo alone could put some off.

Oddly, in contrast to a previous poster, I didn't find the kitchen at all offputting. My belief is that there is no such thing as a "period kitchen" for a property of this nature. If there were, it would have an old range, a huge table and lots of open shelves & hooks, all ready to attract grease & dust :D

I personally believe (gosh! I HATE that expression) that the kitchen is a potential seller.

I don't think that the hall photo added very much either. Is the staircase stripped waxed pine? It looks very "shiny" which might simply be a reflection from the flash :confused:

What do you consider to be the property's top five selling features? I would definintely include the exterior (beautiful!) and the kitchen ... what else? Remember, that you could simply include the fireplace and not the entire reception room.

What are its top selling features ....?

Regards (& nighty-night)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • grumpyoldgit_2
    Options
    Just peeked at the website :eek: - others have said plenty about the pics. So.....

The description reads as though it was done late on a Friday just before the office closed.
    If that is the best your agents can do get rid of them.

Marketing is about attracting interest - I'm afraid this would not get mine - let alone go and view.

I suggest you collect some material from a range of agents and identify and use a creative writer to sell your place, the current lot could'nt describe my garden shed let alone a magnificent house.

The old adage - "always employ a hungry man" comes to mind - are there any independent new start up agents in the area who will be grateful to handle such a property?
    Surely in Manchester you can do better than the clowns you have at the moment?

No wonder you have'nt sold.................. YET ;)

Good Luck
    GoG
    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income